Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post-Op: Microfracture/Chondroplasty  (Read 23730 times)

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Post-Op: Microfracture/Chondroplasty
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2004, 04:53:50 AM »
Hi Missy,

An unloader brace "unloads" (for me) the medial femoral condyle, by putting more pressure on the lateral side of my knee.  It changes the load that the condyles "see".  The OS wants me to use one while the microfracture is healing, so I don't damage it with extreme loads (such as running, jumping or hopping sideways.....all stuff I do in agility).  ALthough I can't run with or without it yet, he thinks that I should be able to do some of my dog training stuff (done on grass) while wearing the brace to help protect the microfractured area.  If it's comfortable and works well I am thinking that i may ALWAYS use it for agility, for that sport includes stops and starts as well as turns and of course, running. It's the only thing I do that involves running.
I was so impressed that the OS actually THOUGHT about my sport, and wanted to accommodate me returning to it.
Oh LA LA,  got fitted for the brace today....over $500!!!!!  And I haven't met this year's deductible yet!  But it should be here in 3-5 days.  Decided to go with a DonJoy because there are no reps here nearby for a Townsend, which I understand is the best.  Our local football team uses the DonJoys and I'm getting the model that is considered the one for active people.

Hope all is well with you -

Aggie
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 04:55:05 AM by agilk9 »

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2004, 07:13:44 PM »
In roundish numbers, this week will make 4 months post-op for me. Thought I'd share an update....

This whole recovery has been very slow, very gradual, and has changed my whole outlook on life in general.

Physically I'm still recuperating, getting better every day (although progress has slowed and the "better" feeling is measured in weeks) BUT.....little things are telling me that I'm still making progress.  I was able to put my pants on while standing up...silly thing, maybe, but before this the operated leg would not hold/balance me long enough to do that. Small victory.  I actually stepped up a curb the other day with my operated leg first and didn't even realize it until I was 3/4 of the way up.  Another small victory.

That brings me to the mental aspect of this whole "knee thing".  It seems as long as I stay in my "knee rehab" mode, I'm happy with what little progress I make, I'm happy that I can weed my garden some (did I say that?   ;D ) etc.  However, when my "old life" intrudes in the form of friends who are running their dogs in agility ("my" sport) and other friends returning to hiking in our beautiful mountains I can easily get down and depressed.  So, I'm starting to understand why people with disabilities, temporary or permanent, often seem to cut ties with their former life and friends.  What a complex lesson this "simple" knee operationg has turned out to be.

I'm expecting my DonJoy Defiance Unloader any day now, and I'm hoping that with it I'll be able to increase my walks, do a little dog training, and eventually, when I get clearance, be able to run the dogs again.

The sun is shining, I have 99.9 percent of my health and I'm thankful for many things.   It's a hard road to climb back to "knee health", but the journey truly is one of self discovery.

Best to all -

Aggie :)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2004, 09:00:20 PM »
Aggie,

Glad to hear things are improving.  Don't give up hope on activities yet.  It takes a while after microfracture for things to plateau.  Also, the unloader should help some.  They are expensive little buggers are'nt they?  Mine was $1400.  Thank god for insurance.

How did you get into agility?  It's always fun to watch.  What kind of dogs do you have?  I thought it would be fun to do agility, but alas, my overgrown Laborador can't jump and runs like a lumbering rhino. ;D

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 01:35:51 AM »
Yes, I too, had the famous Microfracture Chondroplasy!  I am 5 weeks post op this Tuesday the 6th.  All I knew about the recovery period was that I would be non-weight baring for 6 weeks.  Gee, I didn't even know what I would wake up to after the surgery, as the doc said it was a possibly I would need it.  Well, PT is now my life 3 times a week.  Working on straightening my leg plus walking like I know how to use crutches.  My PT is working on me moving forward in my walk instead of doing the hop with the left leg!  I am hoping to be able to walk in about 2 months.  Is this doable?  We are adopting a son from Russia and will probably travel early summer (June/July).  

Is anyone driving?  We had to buy a used minivan because I am unable to get in and out of my Acura safely.  I actually test drove it around the lot!  Then drove the real test drive and then after we bought it I drove home!  

I just found this site and I am more motivated reading everyone else's experiences.  I welcome all replies as I too sit on a couch daily with a computer!
Take Care All.
Barb
March 2, 2004 - Micro-fracture Chondroplasty

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2004, 03:27:39 AM »
Hey Danielle -  it's always good to hear that this procedure (microfracture) takes a long time to heal.  I'm just about convinced that something went wrong!  :-/  
I miss agility incredibly!  Had to "unlist" from my training lists, and had to ask our local club to quit sending me entry forms for trials this year, it's rather sad to not be able to participate.  I run a goofy golden retriever, and am just starting to train a hyperactive sheltie. I'm missing some prime training time with the little guy and I just sit here and curse the knee sometimes.  But, life goes on, and even if I can't ever get back to agility (right now that possibility gets more real every day) then I'll just have to do something else with my life.    BTW, I love retrievers......

Hello Barb - welcome!  It sounds like you are doing well!  Nasty surprise to wake up to this microfracture, right??  ::) I'm amazed that you drove! :o  Oh, wait, it's your left leg....ah....it's my right, so driving was out until I could easily move from gas to brake pedal. (one of those neccessities)  ;)  
The first six weeks are hard because of the no weight bearing.  Are you doing some SLRs (Straight Leg Raises) and using some type of electro stimulation to keep your quads (VMO) in shape in PT??  What happened to your knee that you required surgery?  Hey, it sounds like you have a wonderful goal to reach!  Going to Russian, fabulous, I hope your adoption works out for you! I think you should be walking in two months...at worst you may need to bring a cane along if you'll be walking long distances, but I think 2 months is doable!  Where did you have your microfracture?  Femur, patella??? Medial, Lateral?
I'm sorry you had to join our microfracture club, wish you hadn't needed it, but you're welcome to ask away...it really helps to hear from others what they are going through.  Sometimes I get very down, very frustrated at not being "where I was",  and being sure that it's all a big failure, but then things are ok again.

Well, I got the unloader brace and so far I think I like it.  Still getting used to it, but I can certainly tell a difference at the medial side of the knee, it feels much steadier when I walk, this lasts even after I take it off for a little while and then I get that painful feeling again if I use the knee a lot.  Gotta share this story.....last night I was asleep, and somehow decided I once again needed to try to sleep on my stomach (my favorite position, that I've been unable to comfortably be on because of Da Knee)  So, I roll over, feel pretty good, am thinking that maybe I can now sleep this way when all of a sudden I get this SHARP stabbing pain on the back of the knee. This was a serious stabbing.  I won't write the expletive I was thinking, but you can image..... I thought for sure I'd torn something, pulled something or worse.  So,  I roll back over still feeling the pain.  Eventually I fall back asleep, wake up this morning and I have this HUGE spider bite on the back of my knee!!!!  Needless to say, I'm "happy", "freaked" and have clean sheets, clean mattress cover, clean blankets etc etc on the bed for tonight! No torn muscles though!!!  Woohoo! :P

later -

Aggie

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2004, 03:56:58 AM »
OH Aggie, only you would end up with a spider bite in bed instead of a new knee problem. I am still laughing, (sorry but the picture in my head just wont stop) LOL
Barb, I am sorry to hear that you joined our microfracture ranks, it is no fun but,  walking in 2 monthss is definately doable. Aggie is doing rehab much better than I, but I beat her walking LOL. I am currently 3 months post op and am entertaining your line of thinking aggie, I wonder if something is not working correctly. It would help if my dear OS would call me back. I had a weird one today, was resting with the knee elevated for about 30 minutes then decided to bend it, my scar was on FIRE.  I have no idea what happend and there were no spiders there but it felt like it does when you put alcohol on a scrape. Anyone have this feeling and please tell me what it  was if you know. Dumb thing feels ok now, why cant this rehab stuff just be sim ple and straight forward? OH well, hope everyone had a good weekend.
Missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
I Re: Post-Op: Microfracture/Chondroplasty
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2004, 05:19:23 AM »
Thanks Aggie and Missy for the Welcome!  Aggie, it is my right knee that had the surgery.  I really didn't have any trouble driving our new van off the lot.  Haven't driven since, because I just don't feel safe yet.  I have a great ::) PT who has his Doctorate in PT, so I feel really lucky to have him.  PLUS he is very nice looking  ;D and we all know honw motivating that can be!

Well, how did I end up in surgery?  I have a long history (20 years), with aerobics, exercising etc.  I had some knee problems as a teenager but mostly just due to injury that healed on its own.  I was asymptomatic UNTIL......I wore heels  :-/  a week before Christmas 2003.  Now I hadn't worn heels in years and don't ask me what prompted me to wear them but by the end of that week my knee was so swollen I couldn't bend it.  It eventually went down.  I had another episode while trying to stretch easily.  The next day I was swollen plus had a huge 'knot in my calf in the back.  I ended up having an MRI and that showed I had a lot a lot of fluid and a 10cm Baker's Cyst.  The next time I saw my OS I got the "Well, we can do one of three things...." talk.  I am 47.  He gave me the least case scenerio and the worst (mircofrac).  I was curious about this surgery tried to find out as much as I could but could not remember what it was called!  I was still in shock about the possibilty.  I asked the doc about it on the day of surgery and he said I was a good candidate for it.  I openly asked him if afterwards if I would be able to run after my toddler this summer and he said yes
Yet, I had no forcoming information from him about the recovery time period and the amount of PT that would be required.  Well, now that I have had 2 full weeks of PT, I have seen marked improvement in my knee.  I am used to exercise (as a discipline) but I have to just remind myself to get up off this couch and do them!  I am NOT a crutch walker by nature so they give me a bit of a time but Steve ::) is helping me walk better with them.
Tomorrow we are taking our old car to our mechanic and I will drive the van.  It is a good thing I have long legs and the brake is very close to the accelerator.  I will not drive much though.  Hubby is taking the day off and we are running a lot of errands new van and adoption related.

So, that is my story.  Oh, I am not sure where the MCF was done - maybe the tibia?  I had little to no cartilage left and the back of my patella looked like 'crabmeat'  I had debridement etc.   So, by the time of intial last straw from wearing the heels (Dec.17) until the day of surgery (March 2) I was progressively getting worse with pain and swelling.  Now I am recuperating and join the ranks of learning patience mixed with the sheer frustration of being able to just walk around like everyone else and the humbling dependence on my hubby for nearly well a lot.  

Well...Time for bed!
Take it easy everyone!
Barb

Offline MB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2004, 04:54:28 AM »
Hey all,

just came across this site. Interesting reading.

I've just had :
1) revision ACL with Tutoplast patellar tendon allograft
2) meniscus debridement
3) Two areas of femoral micro# - one on the lateral femoral condyle , and the other in the intertrochanteric notch

About 12 days ago.

I was due to have surgery as part of a phase I trial (histogenics) but unfortunately the initial arthroscopy (where the cartilage biopsy would have been taken) showed the second area of damage which ruled me out of the protocol. You guys may find it interesting to read up on, it's a bit like the Genzyme carticel technique, only the chondrocytes are grown under pressure.

Already had enough of the CPM, and the dog has given up on me as a source of fun (which is probably a good thing) and is hassling his 'mum' instead. Any CPM management tips welcomed!

Anyhow, just starting off on the post op, and read with interest all your comments and advice. Will post with any revelations if I'm lucky enough to have them!

Cheers

MB

Offline mayme

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2004, 06:30:02 PM »
Hello MB,

Just read your post and glad you're doing well and that the dog has given up on you.

You mentioned the Histogenics procedure. Is that being done arthoscopically or is it an open joint procedure?

Thanks for your input and healthy, happy knees to you.

Cheryl

Offline MB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2004, 07:41:38 PM »
The Histogenics procedure is arthroscopic - but it's a phase 1 trial so won't be available (if it makes it) for another 5-7 years I'd guess.

I think there are two sites taking part in the phase 1 - UCSF, and one in Boston (I think). If you're interested the company may be able to tell you more, but I just lucked out that my surgeon was involved. Well, I would have lucked out if I hadn't had the extra area of cartilage damage which ruled me out of the protocol.

I don't have the protocol in front of me, but as it's a phase 1 it's aimed at proving safety rather than efficacy - hence they were limiting things to pretty small isolated lesions - I think the maximum was 20mm (my femoral one clocks in at 19mm).

...and of course, it could prove to be ineffective or worse still unsafe. But I thought the science looked good enough to risk.

Cheers

MB

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2004, 07:51:03 PM »
 Hey Barb how are you doing today??   I got a good chuckle about Steve the pt guy!  My first PT guy was good looking too, unfortunately, he didn't have a brain, so now I'm with this wonderful woman who has gone through knee surgery herself!  But, you're right, a little looking ain't bad  :o

Ouch, about the heels!  Doesn't it get ya that we do ONE thing and everything goes to heck?  Well, now everything is cleaned up and it's time to recuperate.  Take it easy with the driving, don't put any undue pressure on that knee!  Are you icing the knee ALOT???   I've found that when I use the knee a lot, it can really tighten up  (read...swell inside) on me and I think that's the time when scar tissue can become a problem, so I try to ice it whenever I do something intense.  Interestingly, my knee has never swollen grossly (other than right after surgery), yet there's a lot of indication that there is swelling inside.  Although not diagnosed with a Baker's Cyst, my knee does have the tendency to "drain" it's excess fluid into my calf muscle.    Hope you're doing well!!!! How's your pain???

MB  How are you doing?? You're about 2 weeks post op now, right?  Feeling ok?  Getting tired of those crutches???  HOw long are you non weight bearing?  What do you have the CPM set at?  When I came home from the hospital it was at 0-60, then about a week later I got the clearance to move it to 0-100.  I did that for a week and that was the end of CPM.  I worked daily on heel slides (after the first week) but 0-100 is as far as my doc wanted me to go until a month post op.  I now have almost full ROM, and after exercising, I can touch my foot to the back of my butt while I"m standing (barely, but it does graze it  :D )   How's your pain level?  Don't brave it out, you heal better when your nerves aren't screaming!!!

The histogenics sounds very interesting and promising, too bad you weren't a candidate.  I know microfracture has a limited life, so I'm always thinking about what will be next.  How'd you injure yourself?  Take care and welcome!

Aggie

Offline MB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2004, 08:08:06 PM »
Hey aggie,

thanks for the welcome!

Very tired of the crutches, probably more so because the pain is pretty good - as in I'm largely pain free. (On the occasion that I've accidentaly put weight on my leg I discover that I wouldn't be if I was weight bearing but as I'm not, that's ok!). Was on a mixture of vicodin and diclofenac (my favourite drug from when I had my initial ACL done in the UK) for the first week, but have now largely dropped those as well.

NWB for six weeks is the plan, so I've got another 4 and 4 days (not that I'm counting!) to go. CPM was set at 60 but I turned it down to 50 straight after the op and slowly moved it up. was about 55 on day 3 when I had my first post op and my surgeon told me to crank it up - so it's now on 105. Feels fine, but seriously disturbing my sleep - actually gave up on it about 3hrs into the night last night as have a big day at work today, but need to get busy on it again tonight. I tend to strap in when I get back from work, and then again at night, and then try and get some first thing in the morning before heading off.

As for heel slides and touching my heel to my butt - I can't even do that with my 'good' leg! Heel slides are interesting, I can't get nearly the same ROM as i do in the CPM.

FYI the injury has a long Hx. I initially bust my ACL landing a snowboard badly about 5 years ago. No Rx initially, just PT - but it wasn't good enough for me to get back to sports so about 6 months later I had a patellar tendon autograft. The result was adequate but not great according to my surgeon in the UK at the time, and I was back playing hockey (field) and skiing and stuff - without support after a season. Then 18months ago I went down playing hockey on turf and the MRI showed a bit of damage and the ACL. No rx again just watching and waiting. Built up and felt fine afterward - skiing, hockey etc. then almost exactly 12 months following that incident (now having moved to the US with work) I played a 2 day tournament on turf and then got straight on a plane to the east coast. When I got off the plane I had a massive effusion and was in all sorts of trouble!

I've also bust my right ACL (clinically) but am holding off to see how the L knee recovery goes before making a decision on that one!

Cheers

MB

PS - a Q, did you guys really keep your braces on at all times whilst you were NWB?

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2004, 09:36:00 PM »
Hi!   :)

MB I don't have to wear a brace.  But I see the doc next week and who knows.  Do MCF usually have a brace?  You take it easy MB.  If you live on the east coast the weather is just starting (finally) to get better and these weeks will fly by if you can sit outside at all.  What state are you in?

Aggie - I am aching a little today.  I drove yesterday but my gorgeous pt said it is ok.  He says if I can reach the gas pedal and brake, I should be doing some more exercises to get ready for walking.   I can do full revolutions on the recumbant bike now!  AND he wants me to ditch the crutches and call the doc about getting a walker (zimmer).  I have never been good at crutching it.  The walker make my foward motion smoother whereas I was doing a lot of hopping on the crutches.  Steve (sigh), has been trying to move me ahead to bring my left good leg forward while keeping my injured leg straight until the left hits the floor.  I do this better with the walker.  I am really hoping to see if I can get one today.

My flute student is here so I have got to go!
barb

Offline MB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2004, 10:49:17 PM »
Hi Barbs,

I'm in california so thankfully the weather is pretty good already (actually it's fabulous, I'm from the UK and this would be summer weather back home!).

Enjoy.

MB

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2004, 11:00:18 PM »
Hi to all you microfracture patients

I have a question.

Did any of you have it to the back of the patella? And do any of you fall between the ages of 40 - 50 ?

If you had it to the patella, how large was your defect?

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA