Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post-Op: Microfracture/Chondroplasty  (Read 23760 times)

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Post-Op: Microfracture/Chondroplasty
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 07:13:32 PM »
Hey Missy,
Glad you are going to get the Estim/Russian (which I fondly call "Vladimir")  I think you'll see an improvement.  My PT had me doing SLR when the ESTIM fires the VMO.  The belief being that when the VMO "gets fired" electrically it's good to have it DO something.  The firing is akin to a contraction of the muscle, so it feels more natural to have it do something, good for muscle memory too.  Good luck with that!  You're moving way ahead of me on the walking front, girl!!!!  WOOHOO..... I really don't know why my walking is coming back so slow, but that's the way it is, I guess.

Marie....111 degrees WOOHOO...you're getting up there!!  What are you doing to increase ROM?  One of the exercises that helped me was to lay on my stomach (with a pillow strategically placed under my "affected thigh" so the knee is NOT on the ground) Bend my affected leg as far as possible on it's own, then use my good leg to verrrrry gently push it a bit further.  That stretched a lot of the "front of the knee" scar tissue for me and has helped.  BUT, that depends on where/what type/restrictions you have as far as exercising.  The other one that has helped is to do the "standard" heel slide as far up as possible, then I gently raise my toes (kinda like toe tapping with the heel on the ground).  Man, the front of the knee, below the knee cap is tight, and this really helps that.  That might be a good one for you too Missy!  Of course,  maintain your limitiations, cause what is good for me, might be the wrong thing for you to do.

We'll get there, ladies!  I just know it!

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 06:18:02 PM »
Another week post-op - This week will make three full months after the day of infamy.

I have mixed feelings today. I am improving ever, ever so slightly, but it feels wrong.  It's almost as if my improvements are my body learning to compensate for the knee's instability.  I don't feel stronger, I don't feel like I'm healing, however, I can mosey around more without the cane.  Walking unassisted is still very scary, feels like my knee is not stable, yet at the same time it feels tight and unmoving.  Strange feelings.  I see the orthopod on March 23, and will give this process til then to improve.

I wonder if scar tissue is becoming an issue here. I've started deep ice massaging some of the areas and then moving it through ROM, hopefully, something will loosen.

Other than that  8)  I'm not doing too bad.  I'm sick and tired of this knee being my entire life right now, but ya can only suck it up and go with it, I guess.  I have PT today, so I"ll be checking in with her on this "somethings wrong" feeling I have.

Best to all of you -

Aggie

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 08:17:57 PM »
Aggie, I understand the unstable part, I fell and busted my rear end on Thursday,  my knee just collapsed. It does it on a regular basis. I havent worried about it because it did this after the first surgery and the OS said that it was normal for this surgery. When I feel like my knee is more unstable, I grab the trusty crutches (had to use them Sunday, knee collapsed in the hall) luckily I grabbed the wall that time lol.
   I also have posted about the tightness feeling. When my knee feels this way, it makes bending it more difficult. Is that what yours is doing? I think the tightness must be swelling inside for me because it happens most often when I have walked too much.My knee doesnt look swollen, only feels like it.

Dont get discouraged girl, I may walk more than you are right now, but you can kick my rearend with the SLR. I still cant do the darn things without severe pain.
 Hang in there. You will be fine in no time. Power of positive thinking does wonders (I hope )lol I am pulling for ya girl
::)
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2004, 05:56:27 PM »
Just a little update....

Getting around now without a cane for the most part (still take it with me to places, especially, if I know I"m going to be walking on uneven ground).

Over the past few days I've been massaging (thanks to this site) the portal area, one specifically, that feels quite lumpy.  Deep ice massage first on the area, then a gentle, but firm, massage over the "lumps".  Well, I must have done some massage last night, for this morning that whole "portal" area is sore, and I can feel it when I"m walking on it.  This gives me some perverted hope that maybe part of the pain I still feel on walking is actually a "lumpy" scarred portal area.  I'll check with my PT next time I go.

Which brings me to PT.  I've reduced the frequency to one day a week, mainly for direct Estim on the VMO, and ROM  exercises as well as picking up new balance exercises and an increase in the weights that I'm using for the exercise machines.  She gave me a "roll on  a round styrofoam thing" exercise the other day for massaging the IT band, felt really good on the good leg, hurt like heck on the operated knee leg. Hmmm...guess that ole IT is pretty tight. I'm still going into the gym (where my PT is located) 3-4 times a week, trading off swimming with weight exercises. Seems to work well for me.

My mood is pretty good, I still get frustrated, especially now that a lot of events that I used to participate in are upcoming, but it's all hindsight and ya gotta make the best of it.  I'm seeing very slow, but rather steady, improvement, and am heartened by the knowledge that this procedure takes a good 6-9 months of rehab to get back to a decent place.  Just read the other day how some professional football (American) players had to go back and rehab more because their microfracture had not fully healed. And that was 7 months after surgery, considering the full time trainers, equipment etc that those guys have, it's nice to have confirmation that it JUST TAKES TIME.

Marie, Missy, how are you guys doing??

Aggie

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2004, 10:27:59 PM »
Hi Aggie,

Where are you at in terms of ROM & being able to do a straight leg raise on your own?  I hope once a week with Vladimir is good enough - I was going 3x per week until I got the hang of contracting my own VMO.  Do you still have any pain & if so, what does it feel like?  Sometimes I get pain, but I have no idea which part of the operation and/or recovery it would stem from.

Awww... which events are you missing?  That's crazy about the football player - I guess recovery does take a while for some more than others even when the best help is available!

As for me, there's not much to report.  We measured ROM on Tuesday and it was 113.  Stairs are becoming less of an issue.  PT says that ROM through 120 should progress well, but that after that we may hit another plateau area.  I've developed a large golf-ball sized bursa on the lower lateral part of my knee just under the patella.  PT says we'll try treating it with ultrasound for a few weeks to see if this brings the swelling down at all.  Full ROM for me is about 145, so I have 32 degrees more to go.  Seeing my OS for my 6 month post-op appt in about 3 weeks time.

:)
Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2004, 02:47:59 AM »
Hi Marie -

Hey, you've gained a couple more degrees since the last time you posted...that's progress and we'll take it! ;D

My ROM measured in at 131 the other day, prior to that (about a week prior) it was 129, so a few degrees more here too. My left leg is about 146 so I, too, have a quite a few degrees to go.  It's really getting harder now, isn't it?  Most of my ROM stuff I do AFTER I ice the knee to numbness! Then I seem to be able to push it a little further (something I feel the next day)  I do a lot of ROM exercises while laying on my stomach, with pillow under operated side. Putting a belt or sash around my foot and ever so slowly pull my foot towards my butt.  When I do that it feels like I'm really close to my butt, but when I look back it's still "a mile" away!  :P

I can do SLR's with about 5 pounds, no lag.  I use a lighter weight to work the VMO out towards the side.  I think it's Missy who's having problems with her SLR's....how are you doing, Missy?????? ??? ???

I'd love to continue to go to PT 3 x a week, but my insurance doesn't cover it and it's quite the chunk of change every time I go.  Short squats are really helping the VMO I think, as are the short step up and downs.

Good for you for getting more comfortable with the stairs.  They are still pretty daunting to me  :o, but I have small blocks at home that I'm trying to work on, once I can do a "normal" gait over those, I'll progress to real stairs.

Have a huge snowstorm here today, so much for my outside walking....hello....stationary bike!

Good to hear from you -

Aggie

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2004, 06:26:49 PM »
Update:  Rehab is continuing and I'm gaining a bit more strength measurable only week to week.  It seems incomprehensible to me how I can now do, say, the elliptical trainer for 10-15 minutes and feel good, but when I walk on uneven ground (grass) I hurt like crazy. But, hey, at least I'm walking!
This whole process is much longer than I ever would have dreamed. The knee, although not visibly swelling, is often sensitive to minor bumps (let's say from the dog) and walking later at night when I'm tired will cause it to want to hyper-extend.  Sure hope this is all part of the healing process and not "another" problem.

Aggie

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2004, 04:29:32 PM »
Aggie, I have a question for you, When you walk on uneven ground you say it hurts like crazy. Is the pain like deep inside? Does it feel like the bone is hurting? When I had my first microfracture, if I stepped wrong (uneven ground) it felt like the pain would radiate up my thigh bone. Weird feeling but I was just curious if it bothers you the same way.
Missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2004, 06:02:49 PM »
Missy,

I wouldn't call the pain "bone pain all the way up my thigh", however, it does have a bit of a feeling that I can only describe as "knuckling over"....it feels like what I would think is "bone on bone", however that may be my overactive imagination thinking that the surgery didn't work  :-/    
On the positive side, I hope it is just positioning of the knee that's "new", rather than the usual straight forward steps.  No doubt I have scar tissue in there, or whatever, that needs to be moved around to loosen, and I hope that's what I'm "knuckling over"...it's not a pleasant sensation.  Another one for the list when I go to the OS.

Did you get your E-Stim? :D

Aggie

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2004, 07:32:03 PM »
Hi Aggie, I finally got my e-stim Friday evening as I was going out of town  :-[.I wanted to work with then and there but had to wait. I started with it this morning and so far, it feels great. When it grabs the muscle, I feel like I used to feel when I was an athelete. I had forgotten how good it felt to tighten those muscles so well. The pt said to use it three times a day. I really want to use it more,,, I am impatient lol ::) How often did you have to use it? Can you give me any tips? Mine doesnt say russian but I am to place one pad on my VMO and one mid thigh. Is that russian? Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Missy :)
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2004, 08:32:08 PM »
Yea!!! You got the Estim!  Russian is a setting on the machine that usually ramps the electrical impulse up in about 3 seconds to your max, then keeps it at max for about 15 seconds, then it goes back to zero for 10 seconds or thereabout (most machines will let you adjust the timing)  Having the pads over the VMO and the mid-thigh quad sounds good.  Make sure you try to do either some SLRs or bent knee raises while the machine fires your quads (and holding the "raise" while the pulses are at their max). PT says it's good to "make em work alittle".

I'm doing a little better. Darn this is a slow process!!!!  I'm not using the cane anymore, am able to (with help of the banister) go up and down stairs the "normal" way (foot over foot). That still feels very stiff and somewhat painful, but it's coming.  ROM is well into the 130's, am getting a bit closer to touching my butt with my leg (my goal).  Pains are constantly changing, as if every adhesion in the knee is hanging on for dear life.  The "knuckling" feeling is still there, worse at night. Pain/discomfort still there, but not bad enough to require drugs. No doubt I'll feel fine when I go to the OS next week, followed by feeling terrible the day after....isn't that the way it goes?
Don't overdo "Vladimir".....your muscles will need recoup time too!  HOw are those SLR's coming??

_Aggie

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2004, 02:44:07 AM »
Post-op  - 15 weeks - OS visit today!

Just got back from the OS and although the whole process of healing is S-L-O-W....the OS seems happy with it.  My complaints of tightness, "burning muscles", patella discomfort, yada, yada.....are all signs/symptoms of continual healing.  I got the "lecture" once again that microfracture is a LONG process with healing taking place over MONTHS. The actual matrix of the new fibrocartilage needs months to stabilize and become as capable as possible. I know, it won't be hyalene cartilage, but with careful, proper rehab protocol it will be "as good as it gets" (hey, wasn't that a movie? LOL)  Told me to lay off knee extensions under load since they put too much pressure on the femoral/patellar area (he'd told me that before), no full squats either, and to minimize stairs where possible.  Doesn't want me to avoid stairs all together, just NOT use them to rehab. Yea, like I'm gonna be running up and down the bleachers  :P  BTW, no running for another three months.

He does want me to get an "unloader brace", for when I walk on uneven ground, and when I get back to my dogtraining.  That should help protect the femoral condyle while it continues to heal. It also is supposed to help stabilize side to side pressures somewhat.  He did say it's not a panacea and to use it when needed.

As far as future visits, I'm more or less cleared, unless I still exhibit DAILY symptoms by 6 months.  Either way, at 6 months I'm supposed to check in....

I kinda feel some mixed emotions.  Part of me feels like this knee is a lot worse than he, or my PT thinks, yet, I can't argue with the fact that it is getting better over time.  SOOOO, I MUST be positive and look for betterment over the next few months, and pray that these symptoms indeed do diminish over time.  Of course, the other side of me is skeptical and wonders if most OS'es don't say that since there isn't a whole lot they can do until at least 6 months out.  I suppose again, that I have to stay positive.  I've had no reason to doubt his ability.

So that's it, I'm going to mull this visit over some more (do you all do that too??) I had my list of questions which were all answered, so now I need to absorb the info.

Be well -

Aggie

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2004, 05:33:58 AM »
Oh Aggie,

I'm so happy that your appointment went well.  It's totally natural to try and spend some time letting everything sink in afterwards.... you take your time.  Good job on getting all your questions answered!

I saw my OS today buying coffee at the cafeteria in the hospital where we both work.  Of course, he never recognizes me, and I realized that it would be rude to go pester him with questions, but just seeing him made my mind race a mile a minute with things I want answered NOW.  Next time he might not be so lucky to get away... bwahaha!   Oop... did I say that out loud?  :-[  6 months post-op appt coming up in 2 weeks... guess I can hold out until then.

Anyways - enough about me.  Thanks for posting about how your appt went... I was wondering.  :)  Now, now... don't neglect your ongoing rehab since you've been cleared by the OS for a few months on your own.  ;) ::)

Sounds like you're doing well, even if not 100% yet.
Take care.  Big hug!
Marie
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 05:36:27 AM by Marie »
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2004, 05:53:51 AM »
Thanks Marie....

Now, about you.....how are you doing?  What are your thoughts, feelings, concerns??  Are you satisfied with where you are?  

And, no, I won't forget my rehab, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.  A big lesson too, to have to work so hard for so little gain....something I can sure use in life! Besides that, everytime I swim it seems like I've "jiggled" something around, usually for the good! ;D

I'll be thinking of you when you go in for your 6 month PO...that is, if you don't corral him in the cafeteria sooner. (If you "tackle" him, he'll pronounce you cured for sure!  :D )

All the best -

Aggie

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2004, 11:39:20 PM »
Hi Aggie, glad your appt. went well. I have a stupid question. I have heard of this but dont know anything about it. WHAT IS AN UNLOADER BRACE? I am really following your recovery since we had the same surgery on the same spot. My OS is supposed to call tomorrow and yes I have my list of questions ready LOL. I will let you know what he says.
Talk soon
Missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia