Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hopeful1's post-op!  (Read 20772 times)

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Runs with scissors
Re: Hopeful1's post-op!
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2004, 04:32:13 PM »
So here's the thing...I want you to give us a "hit list" of all those miserable S.O.B.'s who have been making your life a living hell (medical staff, boyfriend who resents your pain meds, dumb-*ss father, etc.) and I'll come on over there and give them some of their OWN pain to see how they like it!  Seriously...I was a brown belt karate student before I got run over by the car, and I'm pretty sure I can still hurt someone.  It may take me 45 minutes to walk across the room to strike them, but if they don't mind waiting I'll get there! (LOL)

As Maxfactor says, you need to stay AHEAD OF THE PAIN!  Don't wait until it's excruciating, because then you spend hours playing "catch up."  You're not addicted...you just NEED them.  That's fair, considering what you're going through.

Warm, gentle hugs are coming your way...together with a promise to mangle anyone who needs it! ;D

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2004, 07:11:50 PM »
Thanks for the support, maxfactor and Hollly!  And thanks for the offer to mangle that nasty medical assistant who was SOOOO nasty!  As a Registered Nurse, I ALWAYS get upset when medical assistants or nurse assistants call themselves "Nurses".  My OS assistant refers to herself as his "nurse" - and she is a medical assistant.  That just ads insult to injury.  Petty?  It may be, but to me it is a VERY personal professional issue, when someone so incredibly ignorant and - yep - maybe incompetent - puts herself in the same class as ME.  OOOOH - that gets me going!!!!

I am doing great, again - now that I have some meds in me! I know, that remark has the potential to make me sound lke a junkie - but it is true!  I only need 2 a day - one in the afternoon before PT (formal OR  at home - which I do failthfully!), and one at night.  Funny, my SO has been the most supportive of controlling my pain, now!  He was INCREDIBLY upset the other day when I couldn't get the os's office to re-fill!  He sweetly and quietly noted how he can tell when I need some pain meds.  I joked that it must be because I get grouchy.  No, he pointed out - "you get quiet, and EXTRA sweet, and pale and your lips look thin and grey, and your knee gets shiny and purple, and you sit really, REALLY still, but you still smile, and say nice things!".  I think I WILL keep him!!

My ROM continues to improve daily.  In the morning, active ROM is still only 95 or so, but last night, active was 120 or so, and I get an extra ten or so with help!  I was pretty stiff last night after work, but it was not NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be.  A good icing, and a few hours working the ROM up on the CPM, and I was back to the usual by 8 pm!

Comfortably yours!

L.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 07:24:07 PM by hopeful1 »
Fell 3/02
TTT, lateral release, VMO transfer & meniscus repair on 4/20/04
Lysis of adhesions/MUA on 6/10/04
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
Normal minimal function (ie, stairs, walking, etc) by 8/23/04
NO probelms since!!
Pregnant spring 05 - Due 9/05!!!

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2004, 11:11:00 PM »
That's great Linda!

It really helps when the SO is in tune with your needs and feelings.  I know it hasn't always been that way for you, but better late than never.  The way you describe him now, I would have to agree that you should KEEP HIM!  By the way, isn't it interesting the difference in the way men and women react to pain or discomfort?  Men get grounchy and sometimes even mean and short-tempered...women get EXTRA NICE and VERY QUIET.  Hmmm?

I was a little disappointed in PT today because I thought I was doing SO much better with ROM.  However, when I asked Kim how far I was with passive (forced) ROM she said "100d!"  Either she's guessing way wrong or I seriously overestimated myself.  She has to do new measurements to send to my OS next Wednesday, so I hope she was off - and I was right! ;D  All I know is that when I do it myself just during my at-home PT, it certainly looks like more than I was getting before the MUA.  Other than that, PT is going well.  Since I switched to noon appointments now that I'm driving myself (rather than the 7PM I had before), I've brought in bagels and cream cheese for the staff on a few occasions (today included).  Kim says she thinks I just do that so she won't hurt me! (lol).

Treated myself to a pedicure this afternoon.  I had to caution the operator to be careful of my incisions (although I don't know how they could miss them?!), but the pampering was OUTSTANDING!  I know I shouldn't be spending the money ($19 plus tip), but I guess if I do this every 4 months or so it won't bankrupt us!

Keep up the good work, Linda!  I'm very proud of how far you've come...and you should be too. ;D

Hugs!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2004, 05:53:18 AM »
Holly.

I know it's so easy to get caught up on the numbers!  I think it's important that you FEEL like you've got more mobility, too!  I know that I don't feel nearly as stiff, and I while it is GREAT to watch my numbers go up, it is even better to feel like I don't have a layer of duct-tape on my knee!!

I must confess - I have discovered a secret weapon during "Passsive PT time" (AKA Torture time!).  TOOTSIE POPS!!!! :o ;D ;D :o. We use them to distract me - and it WORKS great.  I just stick that sucker in my mouth, and I am so busy, that it really distracts me from my "magical exploding kneecap" (as my PT calls it).  When I take the sucker out of my mouth, my PT knows it is time to back off, and that I am actually in pain, rather than just that uncomfortable over-stretched feeling.  Maybe I should post this tip under :"things you can't live without" !! 8)

Sweetly!

L.
Fell 3/02
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
NO probelms since!!

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2004, 06:42:16 PM »
Hey Linda!

I love the idea of having something to distract you during passive ROM...but I'm more likely to have a thermos of margeritas with a straw than a tootsie pop!  (Just kidding.  I actually rarely drink, but it SOUNDS like a good idea! ;D)  My PT, Kim, usually keeps me talking through that part and can tell when it's beyond the beyond when I can no longer gather enough breath to speak.

You're right, though.  Even if my numbers aren't what I thought they'd be, I do appreciate the difference in feeling - that "duct tape" feeling is almost totally gone.  Plus, being able to get around without a crutch most of the time (except when I have a LOT of walking to do) is incredibly exhiliarating!

As always, you have my best wishes and lots of hugs to help you through your recovery...

Holly

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2004, 09:30:30 AM »
YIPPEEEEEEEEEE!!

No more CPM!  I saw the OS today for my one-month post-op visit, and with an ROM of around 140, I'm taking that machine back!!  He said he is "blown away" with my progress,  THAT is something I've NEVER heard before!!!  WOOO-HOOOO --- yeah for me! No more tootsie pops in PT either- I am ALL into those margarita's, though!!

The focus in PT is now on strength and gait.  I am one-crutching it most of the time when out in public, still two-crutching on long treks.  NO BRACE, ever! At home, I am NO crutching it about half the time.  I still have trouble with strength and control, so I am better off with the help of a crutch or two, rather than develop a chronic limp - or so my PT and OS keep telling me when they watch my odd gait without crutches!   :o  I am on the bike, WITH RESISTANCE!! As many of you understand - I get downright emotional, when I actually get my heart rate up from a stationary bike - I haven't been able to turn those wheels without pain for about 25 years!  AMAZING!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Proudly,

L.

PS - For Holly, and all my other Lysis/MUA pals, my OS explained it to me like this...."It's like your knee was constipated.  I just gave your knee an enema.  It's kind of like a good dump, ya' know.  Painful at the time, sure - but you feel SO MUCH better when all is said and done!".  Profound stuff.
Fell 3/02
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
NO probelms since!!

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2004, 06:45:47 PM »
Hey Lisa and Holly, I just caught the last page of this thread and it seems like you are both doing great.

Congratulations and keep up the good work! It's good to know that all that pain and "discomfort" is paying off.  :)

Cheers,
Francois
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2004, 07:30:20 PM »
Hey Linda:

HOORAY FOR YOU!!! ;D ;D ;D  I am absolutely ASTOUNDED at your ROM...140!!  You must be so PROUD!! I don't know that I'll ever get there.  I mean, I'm happy to be at 120 - and that's with a lot of painful pushing from Kim.  But even if that's as far as I ever get, I feel like it's still progress because my quads are getting much stronger and my gait is getting pretty good most of the time.  Except when I'm really tired or when I first get up in the morning and I'm really stiff.  Then I walk like a peg-legged old pirate!  Yaaarrrgh!  This week, though, I've done 2 days in a row without my brace or any crutch at all - very liberating!  Sure, by the end of the day I'm awfully sore and tired.  But then I ICE, ICE, ICE and take a pill and go to bed.  And after that I go to sleep. (he-he-he!)

Keep up the good work, my friend!

Holly

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2004, 10:46:46 PM »
Oh Linda!

That is so great! I can't wait to break a sweat on a bike or anywhere else, for that matter. This is such good news for you! I think you and Holly are smart not to cut the cord with the crutches too soon! Use them when you need them and don't when you don't. Pretty soon they will be wall ornaments displayed as the spoils of war!

Dr. C has a sense of humor I see! Very cool!

Good work and stay the course. Victory is at hand!

Leta  :D :D
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04