Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus transplant, second ACL revision  (Read 17772 times)

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Meniscus transplant, second ACL revision
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »
Good to hear everything is going well Kate. I think you're nearly through the toughest stage now, is the rehab protocol the same as the previous meniscus transplant? Just wondered as you only had the transplant this time so maybe it's less conservative?

What has your surgeon said about impact sports? I've been told that's it for me now, quite tough considering i'm only 26. I can understand they want me to look after this knee now and make sure nothing else happens to it.

I bet it's nice to be able to plan something now, there's hopefully no more surgery hanging over your head so its onwards and upwards!

I'm doing fine thanks, everything seems to be in order. i'm still going to the gym and doing my rehab. I'm still restricted to around 90 degrees whilst weight bearing but it may change next week as i'm 7 months post. I had my 6 month check up with my surgeon and he said it all seems to be fine, he said i still have a good 6 months to go in terms of it bedding in more and getting a bit stronger so i'm hoping that'll be the case. I get the odd day where the meniscus stitches become a bit aggravated but all in all i hardly get any pain anymore which is a massive improvement. Just hope it continues this way and hopefully it gets even stronger!

Hope your 6 week check up went well!!
Ruptured ACL and torn lateral and medial meniscus 22/09/2010
ACL reconstruction and medial menisectomy 28/08/2012
First arthroscopic washout due to infection 03/09/2012
Second arthroscopic washout due to infection 11/09/2012
ACL revision & medial meniscus transplant 24/07/15

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 09:09:15 PM »
Hey Adam,

Sorry it's been a bit. My semester started back up and I got a little swept away.

My rehab protocol has so far been much the same, although for now it's mostly self-directed. I'm trying to save up as many visits as possible so that I can take advantage of them after I'm cleared for more activities. Still a lot of SLRs, stationary bike, etc. for now.

I just got cleared to progress to full WBAT, but I still have to use crutches for the time being. To be honest, I think that the mental struggle continues to be the most difficult aspect of my rehabilitation - it's been more than ten months since this all began, and even though everyone is happy with my progress, I'm still struggling to adjust to the slow rate of progress.

Adding insult to injury, my PT is pretty sure that one of my screws is loose in my tibia. I haven't noticed any sharp pain,, but it is a constant bother. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it yet, but it makes me nervous, for sure.

That's hard news to carry, being unable to return to impact for now. Did you get any indication that it's a possibility in the future? That's something I've been struggling with too; I've put so much time and effort into this knee that it feels foolish to put it at risk again with an impact sport, but if that's the case, then why did I go through all of this? At this point though, I would give up anything just to be able to go for a run.

How are you feeling now? You're coming up on eight months now, yes? What sort of PT are you doing and how often?

Hope you're continuing to heal!
Left: Dec 02 ACL patellar recon, meniscectomy
Right: Mar 08 ACL allograft recon
Mar 12 ACL allograft revision, meniscus repair
May 15 med + lat meniscectomy
July 15 ACL rev, quad graft, medial meniscal transplant
Dec 15 lateral meniscal transplant

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 08:15:26 AM »
Hey Kate,

How is uni/college going? I started my masters a few weeks back, it's part time so only one day a week and one module per semester. It's not too bad actually.

The transplant is a long one isn't it, i'm still restricted to 90 degrees when it comes to any leg pressing or squatting. It'll be like that until i'm a year post. I can understand why, the risk of pulling the new meniscus transplant out or tearing it. Hopefully you'll be up and about soon without the crutches then it'll only get better!

So what are they going to do about it, remove it? When i re-injured my knee about a year and a half after my first ACL reconstruction i could feel my screw physically in my tibia! I don't think that's your case whatsoever, but i didn't have any pain with mine though, it just felt weird. You think it could be the screw working its way out?

No that's me done with any impact sports, they said because I've had 2 ligament reconstructions (extra articular & ACL) and a meniscus transplant this time round that it would be best to look after the knee so they've told me not to play football or cricket anymore which has been a bit disheartening. I knew it was coming though, i'm not too bothered though, i can walk without pain and instability so i'm happy with that! i also enjoy the gym so at least that'll keep my knee strong.

That's what i've thought, but then again it's just too much of a risk in my eyes. I don't really fancy having a knee replacement in my 30s if i'm quite honest (even though it's inevitable i'll have to have one somewhere down the line!). If there's a possibility that your surgeon will allow you to return to some form of sport then I would concentrate on your rehab and see where you are 6 months down the line.

Yes, 8 months Friday just gone actually! The past 4 and half months have flown by since i've been back at work. I'm doing good, the knee is feeling strong. I've spent a lot of time in the gym and my quads are looking big and strong also. Had my last PT session Friday and he said my operated quad and hams are looking stronger and bigger than my non operated quad and hams so that's a good sign. I've had a few laxity tests recently and there's hardly much difference between either knee too which i'm very happy about. I continue to go to the gym 2 days a week for rehab (cut it down now the weights are going up). I'm still doing the similar things i said before so single leg press, single leg lying hamstring curl, kettlebell squats (wide & normal width), single leg deadlift, double leg stiff legged deadlift, weighted glute bridges, single leg standing hamstring curl.

Let me know how you get on!

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
Hey!

Glad to hear that you're doing so well! Are you enjoying your masters program so far? My classes are overall good this semester; I'm doing well so far and I'm enjoying the new path.

It's definitely disheartening to hear that you can't carry on with contact sport, but I agree with you that it's a relief to have a working knee at all. In terms of my return to impact sport, I've never been too interested in contact, mainly skiing, running, hiking, etc. My surgeon has hold me that I can return to skiing and running, but carefully. Right now, I plan on returning to distance running - I have never sustained any injury or even pain in my knees, even after 10k plus runs on a regular basis. I've been able to go to the gym a little bit now too - it's not my favorite (I like being outside), but it's good for my soul to be able to meet some goals again!

I can feel my screw poking out of my tibia too! It's actually prominent enough that it's causing bruising... I'm not sure what to do about it. My PT said that I'm being paranoid about it, but quickly followed that up with the caveat that my paranoia is completely understandable. My next surgeon appointment is March 10, so I'm going to bring it up then and make decisions based on his reaction. I'm doing my best to keep my focus away from it for now, because the notion of yet another surgery is just too much to think at present.

That's great that you're cleared from PT and that you're so strong! I'm glad to hear that you've found a sustainable routine that's made your operable leg stronger. Right now, my quads are still seriously weak, but I finally started squats and leg press at PT, so I think I'll be able to start regaining strength more quickly now.

Attaching a photo with my quads engaged. It's hard to see in the photo, but if you look at the medial tibial scar between those two little moles, there's a little bump and some bruising from the screw. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along!

Take care and talk soon!

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
Hi Kate,

Yes, i'm enjoying it so far. It's a nice change and it breaks up my week quite well too. Good to hear it's all going well.

I knew it was coming though, there's more important things than playing a bit of sport. It'd be soul destroying if i were a professional in a sport as it would involve a new career path! It's nice to hear that your surgeon has said you can return to the things you like doing. Hope you get back to it all sooner rather than later!

I would ask your surgeon about it, hopefully he can clarify whether its ok. I'm doing alright, i still think i have a good year ahead of me until i can relax about it all. I feel as though my knee has got stronger over the past month, i've slipped on ice whilst going out to my car and my knee held firm and strong. The first time in probably around 5 years!

I can see it slightly actually, mine wasn't really see able but i could feel it. Whereas now the tibia is very smooth as the fixation of the screw is actually inside my tibia rather than protruding like last time.

I've attached a picture of my left and right quad tensed. Although the right quad (non operated leg) looks stronger and fuller the left quad is really coming on.

Hope your surgeon appointment goes well, speak to you soon.

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 02:51:28 PM »
Hey!

I had my 12 week checkup last Thursday, and we talked about the bump in my tibia. It turns out that it's not a screw backing out, but rather a specific type of suture that my surgeon used to anchor my meniscus transplant. He said that it's really common for it to bother patients and can require removal about a year after surgery, but that the procedure is really mild - I wouldn't even have to be scoped to have it done. However, he thinks it would be a good idea to scope it just to clean up any scar tissue and check on my healing progress, since I've had so many problems in the past.

I consider this a best possible scenario. I suspected going in that more surgery would probably be necessary, but wasn't sure what the extent would be. When I told friends and family that I'd likely have to have another mild surgery in the future, they reacted as if it were some tragedy. I hate to say it, but I think I'm getting used to it.

Adam, has your surgeon given you a long term prognosis? My surgeon says that mine will hopefully hold for life, but more realistically, it will probably last 10-15 years. This process continues to be a major adjustment for me. My PT told me recently that I have to stop making my life all about my knee, but I haven't yet mastered the balance of being cautious about my knee without being preoccupied by it. I'm still trying to adapt to what feels like a new identity in some ways, I suppose.

Now for good news! On Monday at PT, I FINALLY got cleared to walk again! I'm still to bring a crutch with me just in case, and I actually needed it yesterday at work/ school because of course I overdid it Monday afternoon going for a walk around the neighborhood. However, although my knee is stiff, I'm mostly feeling it in my hip and calf. I guess I know what problem areas to target now!

PT is starting to ramp up (again, finally). I'm doing squats, step ups, step downs, balance, wall sits, planks, extensions and leg press machines, and riding the stationary bike for warmups. At home, I'm doing the stationary bike for 30 minutes for cardio, and trying to go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I do squats, planks, and extensions at home on days when my muscles aren't sore, so progress is slow but steady.

Awesome quads!  :D

But in all seriousness, I'm glad that school is going well for you, and I agree on the whole waiting a year to relax thing. I hope that there are sports that you'll be able to return to that you enjoy. And that's SO SCARY and at the same time SO GREAT that you slipped on ice and your knee held out. I'm glad it felt ok!

Hope you're well, and talk soon.

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 02:46:10 PM »
Hey,

I think it's the best thing to do, get it sorted now rather than further down the line. Glad it's nothing too serious though! I think i had gotten used to all the surgery too, i suppose its modifying our lifestyles now to make sure we look after it to some extent.

I haven't really asked if i'm honest and he hasn't told me. We've just been focusing on how the knee feels and has it improved etc. I have read it can last up to 7-15 years but i'm not too bothered, whatever will be, will be. I'm the same, my knee feels really strong but i can't help being cautious about it, i reckon that a natural instinct though.

I bet it feels good to get rid of the crutches, you can focus on the rehab now. It sounds like you're progressing well, how is the knee actually feeling?

Thanks! I've been working hard on them, without much risk though. I'm still going around 90 degrees for most of my quad exercises. I went to Reykjavik, Iceland for 4 day with my family, managed to do a load of walking up hill, down hill and on uneven terrain and my knee felt really good so i'm getting there!

Hope college is going well and you continue to improve!

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 01:56:39 AM »
Hey,

Definitely beginning to progress MUCH faster now! I just graduated to the elliptical and lunges at PT. Granted, now my quads are on fire, but it's SO nice to be done with the stationary bike. It's not that I dislike the stationary bike; I just like getting a good hard HIIT workout in when possible and I find that difficult to do on a stationary bike.

But seriously, my quads hurt so much the day after lunges that it would take me minutes to get off the couch. Just goes to show what a long way to go I still have, I guess!

I still deal with some inflammation and soreness, weird clicks and tracking issues, and some grinding, but overall, my knee feels strong, and more importantly, stable. My PT tells me that the assorted issues are likely to be due to the number of surgeries I've had over the years and the muscle weakness from all of my surgeries this year, so I try not to get too concerned with those issues. I have to admit that it's some times a challenge for me because it's hard not for me to be paranoid about my knee at this point.

Quick stats - I'm able to do ~40 lbs of leg extension, ~160 lbs on single leg press, can hold a side plank for ~90 seconds, squats with 10 lbs per hand, lunges, and step downs. It never sounds like much, but when I think back on what I was able to do at this time even last year, I feel like there has been some improvement.

I'm still struggling to get back to a weight and level of activity that I had before surgeries. I've found that this recovery is one of patience and tenacity, rather than eureka moments, and it has affected my energy and motivation levels at times. I'm still struggling to find a work position that would allow me to continue my studies, but most of those jobs here are geared towards customer service, and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to be back on my feet for 8 hour shifts yet, nor am I sure that it would be a good idea in the future.

But, my studies are going really well - I've maintained top marks and have a very part time position in the labs on campus, so I feel engaged. Being back in a university setting is so good for my ego!

I hope, Adam, that you're continuing to strengthen and that everything is going well for you!

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »
Hi,

Good to hear you're getting back into the strength building phase of your rehab. I'm sure you'll have continued improvement as each week and month go past.

Glad your studies are going well, i got a first in my first module on my masters, i must say i was very happy with that!

I'm still doing my rehab, I've been doing it once a week lately because of how busy i was with uni and work. I'm going to push it back up to twice a week soon. Overall the knee feels good, my range of motion has really improved of late, it's a few degrees off my right leg which is good. During my last check up i was told the small clicking noise coming from the lateral side was from a bit of loose stitching. It causes no pain just very annoying! I may get it removed if it annoys me any more. I have my years check up in 3 weeks time so i'll see what my surgeon says.

Hope the rehab is going well and keep up the good work!

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2016, 03:41:07 PM »
Wish I had come across this last year!

I'm 11 months out of a medial MT and an OATs.

I hope you two are both doing well! I am waiting the results of an MRI i had this morning to determine if I'm going to need a 7th surgery to cleanout some scar tissue, or maybe something more extensive :/

I have pretty extensive chondromalacia throughout my whole knee, but grade 4 where the OATs was done.

Who did your surgeries? Hope all is well :)

-Ben
Right Knee-
MT Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, 10/16
MT Repair, Chondroplasty, Clean out+ BMAC/PRP7/16
Meniscus Transplant & OATs 8/15
Notchplasty,Osteophyte Removal,Prep for MT/OATs 7/15
loose body removal, menisectomy- 4/15
Menisctomy, loose body removal1/14
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 08:26:54 AM »
Hey Ben,

How was the MRI scan, hopefully everything was OK?

I had my surgery in Birmingham, England, Professor Snow carried out my surgery.

Had my year check up a few weeks back, i got cleared to play sport again by my surgeon. Funny thing was, they told me not to think about impact sports throughout my rehab. Now I've been cleared to play, I've had a long think about it and decided i won't be playing any impact sports again. I'm happy with my knee now and want to look after it. I'm continuing to do my rehab and will do for many years to come. It's the best it's felt in over 5 years so i don't want to risk a 6th surgery.

Kate,

I hope you're well and you're starting to really improve with your rehab and knee function, keep us posted!

Adam

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2016, 05:21:14 AM »
MRI was unfortunately and unexpectedly awful. I've torn the posterior region of my medial meniscus transplant, and may have some degenerative fraying/tearing in other parts of the medial MT. My lateral side, which was 100% perfect last year, now has grade 3 chondromalcia and degenerative fraying of the meniscus.

I go for a pre-op tomorrow where I'll finally get to go over last weeks MRI in detail with my surgeon (I just obtained a copy myself after his assistant called to tell me my transplant is torn). I went over my MRI with a few of my physical therapists and we all agree it is not promising...but if anyone can fix it, it's Dr Laprade here in Vail CO where I live.

I am so glad to hear you are doing so well and even got cleared for sports after a year! Things had been going extremely well for me until about 9-10 months. Granted it was a roller coaster of ups and downs throughout it all...but this recent news was certainly a shock and major disappointment.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and I'll keep you updated and would love to know about you continued progree. I've started a few other threads relating to my issue.

-Ben
Right Knee-
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline BarefootPilgrim

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2016, 07:36:58 PM »

Thanks to Kate and Adam for sharing your stories, really eloquently written and so interesting to read how you dealt with rehab and the setbacks that it brought. I've got the shadow of a third knee sugery looming over me and it's got me quite depressed so it was really helpful to read of your experiences.

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 08:12:37 AM »
Sorry to hear that Ben, What did your surgeon say during your pre op? What's the plan of action now?

I hope he can save your MT rather than you having to go through a full MT again?

Thanks mate, i really did work hard on my rehab for a full year. I was constantly in the gym 2-3 times a week working on my strength but also my cardio and certain plyometric movements. I had to take a few weeks off not long back as i think the constant battle with rehab had got to me physically and mentally.

You're in good hands though, stay positive!

Thanks BarefootPilgrim,

I don't know about Kate, but speaking to her whilst we were going through it really did help me. It was nice to compare the whole recovery phase. Hope your surgery goes well, as i said to Ben, just make sure you stay positive.

Adam

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 03:59:12 AM »
Ended up getting 17 stitches to repair the tear, in addition to PRP and BMAC to generally promote healing (especially given my severe cartilage issues and patella tendonitis).

Surgery went as well as it could've. It'll be two weeks this thursday. I had it drained once last week (65cc was pulled) because it was really swollen and they were worried it was shutting my quad off. Swelling went back up a day later but is much more "fluid" this time and not as "firm" as the original swelling, so it isn't limiting anything. I tend to swell a lot, so it's not really a surprise. I was more surprised they were so quick to drain it last week, but am happy they did.

I have my two week post op tomorrow so we'll see what he says...but all things considered it seems to be going well. It's just another long and slow process, taking extra time and precautions given that it's a transplant.

They did say it looked like it had really attached well and was getting some blood flow from the bone plugs :) so all that is good.

He also cleaned out lots of scar tissue, and smoothed out some areas of my articular cartilage.

6 weeks non-weight bearing. 4 weeks till I can bend past 90. Physical Therapy is twice a day for a few weeks, then once a day, and then 3-4 times a week for 6 months or so. I can't wait to get back to the gym in a month or two!

Glad to hear you are doing so well!! I am certainly in the best of hands given my situation, and am very fortunate to live where I do :) as most patients "vacation" for the Steadman Clinic.
Right Knee-
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

support