Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus transplant, second ACL revision  (Read 17771 times)

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Meniscus transplant, second ACL revision
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
Nice to hear back from you Kate!

Oh definitely, this has been my toughest surgery to date. Those first few weeks was something else pain wise! I tried looking for some information on it myself but couldn't find much either, it seems as though you have to be a real candidate for it as they don't give these sort of surgeries out without a lot of thought and other bearing factors. That's what my surgeon told me here in England.

Yes, all one procedure. I had the hamstring graft last time from my surgical leg but it failed over time due to the staph infection i got from surgery. The harvested leg was perfectly fine surprisingly, it felt as though they hadn't done anything to it really. My quads and hamstrings are quite well developed from all the rehab over the years so maybe that helped.

I'm the same though, if i feel something that i don't like i will ask to check. It's natural i think after what we've been through!

I hope that isn't the case, although, i do think it was a good choice for you to go through another revision and the transplant. Anything is worth a try before a TKR, that's my personal opinion anyway!

That's the worst part, the slow recovery process. I think a lot of things play on your mind as well which isn't healthy. I suppose it's positive thoughts and mini goals that get you past those though. I don't think i will hopefully, my surgeon has said there's some wear and tear on it so it's more looking after it than anything. We'll just have to keep an eye on it over time.

Exactly like mine! My surgeon told me a lot of patients turn up struggling to contract their quad let alone good muscle tone! He was actually impressed with the muscle i retained. It feels so much better without the brace on doesn't it? I've been walking around the house with my crutches also, i get a bit of soreness/pain along the surgical site when i walk also. I think this is quite normal after nearly 7 weeks of non weight bearing and what has gone on!

I've never used the hydro pool before so i'm quite intrigued! Has the tape helped in any sort of way? Good to see you have progressed well!

You're definitely well equipped if you do! If you're contemplating it then maybe that's the way to go.

It's good that we can compare our progress. I will do, keep me posted too.

I thought i'd attach a progress photo myself, i've made sure i got my good knee in with it just to show the difference.

Adam
Ruptured ACL and torn lateral and medial meniscus 22/09/2010
ACL reconstruction and medial menisectomy 28/08/2012
First arthroscopic washout due to infection 03/09/2012
Second arthroscopic washout due to infection 11/09/2012
ACL revision & medial meniscus transplant 24/07/15

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »
Adam!

Ha, good point on the photo. Next progress photo I'll include my good knee.

I was told much the same by my surgeon regarding my transplant. Feels great to be part of an elite group, I guess, ha. It must have been scary to go through an infection! That's the one area knee-wise that I've been lucky. At least by now you're likely out of the woods in terms of getting another one, right? If they're letting you get in the pool, I'd hope so!

Definitely agree with you about mindset. I was pretty depressed and moody, honestly, until my classes started up. I think having little to distract from pain or lack of mobility was a major contributing factor. Another thing that tends to weigh heavily on me is fear of re injury; I'm usually a pretty social person but I've definitely been pretty isolated over the past month, partly because of anxiety, and partly due to the inconvenience.

I have been doing okay, but I had a minor setback at PT on Tuesday. My therapist wasn't thrilled that I was walking around without crutches or brace, and through he said it was okay to continue doing so in my home, he wants me to continue using both crutches and my brace when I leave the house. He's happy with my strength, but there's a large fluid sac under my patella that's mildly painful when I'm on it too long or doing the leg press, and he wants me to look at it as a signal to take it easy.

So, kind of bummed about that, but on the other hand, I DID get cleared to drive again! I can leave the house all by myself!

Hope hydro and healing's going well for you!
Left: Dec 02 ACL patellar recon, meniscectomy
Right: Mar 08 ACL allograft recon
Mar 12 ACL allograft revision, meniscus repair
May 15 med + lat meniscectomy
July 15 ACL rev, quad graft, medial meniscal transplant
Dec 15 lateral meniscal transplant

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
Kate,

That's fine, thought it would show where i'm at compared to my good knee!

You could put it that way haha! The infection was a pretty bad one, two washout surgeries and 6 weeks of intravenous antibiotics. That was 3 years ago but it definitely failed my ACL reconstruction that i had first time round. Oh yeah, it usually comes on within the first week or two after surgery so i'm grateful i haven't had any complications this time around especially with it being a big surgery.

That's what it does to you though, because you aren't active physically and mentally it breaks you down a bit. I didn't feel too great either, unfortunately you can end up taking it out on your loved ones! I'm petrified of re injury, i've been so conservative this time round but i've got to say the slight twinge i get paranoid haha. I think it's totally normal for us to think like that considering what's happened in the past. Mainly though we have to trust what we've had done now so i'm just trying to keep my myself busy more than anything.

Was you walking around outside without the crutches and brace? It must be feeling good if you're able to do that. I've got rid of my brace, i just have my crutches now. Has the swelling gone down when you've iced and rested it? At least you can drive again! I'm about 2-3 weeks off driving, we mainly have manuals over here in England so obviously my left leg is my clutch leg so just need a bit more strength in my leg and i should be good to go.

The hydro pool has been decent, it's nice to walk around without crutches! I spoke to my PT and they think i'm doing really well, i've got 110 degrees flexion which they were very impressed with. I've still got 2-3 weeks until i can walk without my crutches and start my gym work so it's not too long now. A bit frustrated with the slow process but it's to be expected isn't it.

Keep me updated on your progress please!

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 12:32:58 AM »
Adam,

I seem to have stalled out on my progress as of late.

Definitely wasn't walking around out of the house without crutches, although I had initially gone down to one crutch. My therapist told me to go back on both crutches last week, though, so I've been using one crutch with no brace in the house and both crutches without brace whenever I leave.

I had a "bad knee day" yesterday at PT; my flexion went down a few degrees. Last Thursday, I was able to hit about 105 degrees in flexion. Yesterday I was only able to hit about 100 with a lot of strain. Normally (well, normally here meaning after an ACL/ meniscal repair surgery) my flexion would be pretty much back to normal - around 135. The fluid sac that was bothering me persists, and even extending fully was difficult.

I spent all day today with my leg extended between two chairs with my cryo cuff weighing my knee down to help extend it. I'm actually doing active heel slides as we speak. The swelling goes down a little when I ice, and I have been taking 800mg doses of ibuprofen, icing regularly, and using my stim unit, but the fluid sac is pretty stubborn. You can actually see it pushing under my patella when I'm doing heel slides.

I'll be honest: this setback has really taken a toll. I rely so much on physical activity and getting outside on a daily basis for mental and emotional stability. The weather's finally turned from summer to fall here (I live in Pennsylvania) - it's beautiful out and I just want to be able to go out on my own two legs. I'm really hoping for a better PT result tomorrow, but over the past few days, it's been difficult to maintain a sunny outlook. At this point, I know it's to be expected, since I've had so many surgeries, but it's hard to be stuck at this point for so long.

My right leg is the affected one, so I'm actually really surprised that I was released to drive! I typically drive a standard as well but I'm currently without a car, so I've been driving my partner's automatic. It does take a lot of the legwork out of driving, so to speak. Plus, us US-of-A-ers do love our driving, so that may have something to do with it!

Frustrated is the word I'd use indeed. This whole process makes an ACL recon look like a breeze. I hope I get some cheerful news soon; I'm in pretty dire need.

Hope you're faring better than I am!

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »
Kate,

Sorry to hear about your stalled progress. I've just got down to one crutch, mainly around the house at the moment but i've been told by my PT that it's time to get rid of them altogether, so we're using a phased plan over the next 2 weeks to completely wean myself off crutches altogether. One crutch feels ok at the moment, i get some slight pain but nothing too concerning to get the other crutch back out.

It was only a 5 degree loss, so don't let it beat you up! We all have those bad days but usually those bad days are followed by quite a few good days so i hope it gets better! What has your PT said about the fluid sac you have?

I know exactly how you feel at the moment, i was in the hydro pool yesterday and i told my PT how frustrated i am with the slow progress, but as you know, this is a lengthy and slow rehab process so hang in there!

I wish i had an automatic! I would love to be driving now, USA is a big place so i can understand the use of automatic cars!! I'm not far off driving and walking now so i'm just trying to keep positive and think of the things i can do at the moment rather than the things i can't!

An ACL reconstruction and a meniscus repair really is a walk in the park compared to this meniscus transplant. I've took this meniscus transplant for granted if i'm perfectly honest. I thought it would be easier than this but it clearly hasn't been!

I'm doing well, i've stepped up my rehab and i'm doing some wall squats, only to about 30-45 degrees, nothing too deep yet. Step ups on my stairs and lying side hip abductors. It's nice to have some new exercises to do, i feel a lot more positive now. I've got one more session in the hydro pool and then i'm in the gym which should be the end of the crutches (hopefully)!!! I get the odd twinge and pain in places but i've heard the recovery is painful so i'm not too worried. My swelling is almost gone now and i've only been getting some slight puffiness around my arthroscopic scars after performing my new exercises. All in all i feel pretty good.

Hope everything improves, keep me informed on how you're getting on!

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 01:22:46 PM »
Adam,

Thanks for the encouragement; I really can't stress how helpful it is to hear from someone else going through the same process. I had a better day at PT on Tuesday, and have moved down to one crutch (and the brace) outside of the house. I'm free to walk around unassisted in the house.

There's still a lot of inflammation under my patella, and it continues to inhibit my flexion, but I'm starting to be able to hit around 100 degrees . It's still tough though! I'm progressing slowly at PT too - I'm doing SLRs with weight, TKEs, short and long arc leg extensions, riding the stationary bike (it feels so weird), and the leg press.

Essentially, my PT has told me that all of the swelling that I've been seeing is pretty normal, and that he'd be surprised if I wasn't swelling up. For right now, we're monitoring it to make sure it doesn't get worse, and that I should use flareups as a signal that I'm pushing too hard.

What'd your PT say about being frustrated? Mine's usually pretty understanding but it takes him a while sometimes to realize just how frustrated I am with my progress.

I know what you mean about the ACL being a walk in the park. After so many ACL surgeries, I'm conditioned at this point to push as hard as I can as fast as I can to build up strength in my quad, but with this procedure, there's a lot of hurry up and wait! I do still have some pain, but at this point I think it's mostly due to inflammation. I'm still getting a TON of pops/cracks/snaps - my knee sounds like Rice Krispies in the morning! It's actually oddly satisfying, but man am I glad that this isn't my first surgery because I'd probably be panicking every time I felt a twinge or a pop. 

Where are you in the UK? I can't imagine it's all that easy to get around - I lived in London for a semester and I remember thinking about how difficult disabled access would have been in some areas.

Hope you're doing well and that your mood and knee continue to improve!

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
Kate,

No worries, i know how tough its been for me so i know a bit of encouragement goes a long way! Glad you did, sounds pretty similar to mine, whereas i got rid of my brace about 2 weeks ago as they wanted me out of it ASAP.

100 degrees is still very good at this stage, my PT told me a few people previously have struggled with 90 degrees flexion after six months!! I'm at around 115/120 degrees at the moment, the heel slides are really helping me get my flexion back slowly but surely. You sound a bit more advanced than me with your exercises, i'm still doing quad sets, heel slides, mini squats at around 45 degrees, lying side hip abductors, step ups and towel stretches for my hamstring. How's the leg press? I take it you're at a limited range of motion, around 60 degrees?

Surprisingly i don't get any swelling, i may get the slight bit of puffiness after doing something new but nothing major. That could be because i still ice regular which helps calm anything down.

He's been good about it really, he understands my frustrations but reminds me if i push it any further then i could risk causing injury again which usually puts me in my place!! I'm still in hydro and i've got two more sessions in there so a bit of a change from what i said previously. Maybe that's why i'm feeling frustrated. The hydro pool does help though so i can't complain.

This is just ridiculous, learning how to walk again and the rehab is painful as you know! I think we're past the hardest part so hopefully its onwards and upwards for us both now. I still have pain, mainly when i walk without any aid. I suppose this is understandable as i was non weight bearing for nearly 7 weeks! I get clicking on the lateral side of my knee, this is due to the extra articular ligament reconstruction i had. Only found this out the other day but it's to make sure my new ACL graft is fixed strongly into place.

I'm in Birmingham, it's not too bad really. I only really go out to my friends house or to my girlfriends. I don't really fancy risking it after what's gone on. Where did you live in London?

I'm 10 weeks post now so i'm not far off getting back to some form of normality! Hope you continue to progress, keep working hard!!

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »
Hi Adam!

I hope you're progressing well. I was stuck in a holding pattern for the last few weeks, so I figured I'd lay low for a bit.

I finally got cleared this week to begin walking without a crutch. After a frustrating road of slow progress, and coming to a realization that in many ways this part of the healing was somewhat out of my control (I can work on strengthening, but I can't make inflammation go away!), I'm finally starting to resume some normalcy. I'm finally back to full extension, and although flexion is still slow in healing, I'm up to about 115. I'm even back to working, although on a very part time basis.

Currently at PT: stationary bike, leg press (yes, limited from 60 degrees to extension), SLRs with 3 pound weights, heel slides, mini squats, step ups and downs (on like a 1 inch platform, ha!), long and short arc extensions, hamstring stretches, and planks. Love the leg press, and HATE squats.

So that's the good news, and here's the not great. Or great, I can't decide. While I was at PT on Tuesday, my surgeon called: I finally matched with a donor for my lateral meniscus. Yesterday, we finalized the next round of surgical scheduling. My next surgery is December 16 - two days after my finals.

While I am excited to get this final piece into place, and while it seems like there is finally FINALLY some light at the end of the tunnel, I am NOT looking forward at doing this all again. I'm hopeful that the next transplant without the ACL recon will be a lot easier, but I fear that the pain and rehab will be a whole lot more similar to this past surgery than to the ACL surgeries I've had before. Feeling many feelings about this all again.

For now, the only real course of action I can take, other than being really diligent about doing my rehab, is putting the upcoming surgery out of my mind as best as possible until the date gets closer. I can really get myself worked up about surgery, so I'm trying to take this one step at a time.

On a more positive note, I was really excited to go out with a few of my friends on Tuesday and not be gawked at by a bunch of well meaning folks curious about my knee or wanting to know about my crutch. It was so exciting to be able to blend into a crowd and not have people constantly giving my strange looks or hearing how sorry they were for me!

I was living in Ealing, just off the Ealing Common tube station. I went to classes in Kensington, and did an internship in Brixton, so I got to do a lot of things all over the city, although I don't know how much of it I remember at this point! Never did make it over to Birmingham though.

Hope you're feeling well!

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 12:44:02 PM »
Hey Kate!

I'm doing well thanks, hope you are too! I can understand that, glad to hear you're improving.

That's good news, i got cleared to walk without my crutch 2 weeks ago. How are you feeling with the walking? I've been going for 20 minute walks each day and i'm improving each day which is a great sign! So you've still got some swelling, does the inflammation come on after your strength work? I've hardly got any swelling now and it hardly gets inflamed after any of my strength work too. My knee has really improved over the last couple of weeks. I'm back driving, i have no issues with pain when doing so too!! Good to hear your flexion has improved, 115 is still good at this stage so don't read too much into it just yet. My PT told me the flexion will come back over time so i'm not concentrating on that too much at the minute. How does it feel to be back at work? I'm allowed to return myself, just waiting for them to get back to me so we can sort out where i'll be based etc.

I'm currently doing most of the exercises you are doing but my rehab has become a bit more aggressive. Leg press to 90 degrees. wall squats to 90 degrees, lunges on a step up to around 70-90 degrees, theraband lateral walks, lying hamstring curls (bodyweight), steps up, side lying clam, calf and hamstring stretches. I love the leg press too, i don't mind squats though. i get a few pops and clicks whilst doing the squats, which to me feels like the scar tissue continuing to break up.

It's good that you have been set a date for your lateral meniscus transplant, how do you feel about the timing of it? Seems like it could have been done a few months later so you could have enjoyed the Christmas period and worked on your rehab a bit more? I do think it'll be easier for you this time, you know what to expect now. We both know those first 6 weeks are the hardest, once you get through that you'll start to see some vast improvement. Keep focused and keep your mind busy!!

Feels so good being able to go out again doesn't it. I'm excited to be able to live my life again as it really has put a lot of things on hold for me. No doubt you feel the same!!

I vaguely know the area, i've been to London a handful of times but i'm still not too familiar with all the surrounding areas. How did you find it in England and London?

Let me know how you get on please!

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
Hi Adam, all,

Sorry it's been a bit, but what with school and prepping for the next surgery, my recovery has kind of taken a bit of a backseat.

At the beginning of November, just as I was starting to really hit my stride with PT, I found out some more bad news: I had used up all except one of my insured PT visits for the rest of the year, and I needed to hold on to my last insured visit until after my next surgery. To continue going to PT, I would have to pay out of pocket, which would have cost hundreds of dollars per visit. Hooray American healthcare system.  :-\

Anyway, my recovery is going okay; I'm still swollen and a bit sore with walking, and I still struggle to walk normally down stairs. But my ROM and my strength have kept up, and I try to do exercise at home, although my surgery is now less than two weeks away, and I've been told not to push it too hard.

I have been going out fairly often, just because I know that I have another long period of isolation ahead! The holidays always get so busy, so it's nice to able to be out and about now!

How's yours feeling? What are you working on? Hope you're doing well!

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »
Hi Kate,

Totally understandable, i've been busy with work myself and finalising my commencement date at university.

Sorry to hear about the healthcare problem, i think we may take the NHS for granted here! It sounds like you're slowly getting there though, what exercises are you doing at home?

I do feel for you having to go through the transplant again but hopefully it will be a smooth process!

My knee is feeling really good actually, I haven't had any swelling since the 8th week and walking is perfectly fine. I get the odd bit of soreness now and again after i've walked quite a distance but that's it really. I thought i'd have trouble going down the stairs but its completely fine! I'm currently doing: single leg press to 90 degrees, wide stance and shoulder width stance squats with kettle bells, hamstring curls on a gym ball, Romanian and Straight leg deadlifts, glute bridge raises with a barbell, Bulgarian split squats and single leg deadlifts. They're all done with light weight and high reps. I feel pretty much back to normal now. I'm 5 months post next Friday so i still have a way to go but i'm getting there. I've been back at work 6 weeks which has been great, glad to be back doing what i love.

Hope everything goes well with your surgery! 

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
Thanks, Adam.

I'm pretty anxious about my surgery tomorrow. Finals and preparing for the holidays kept me pretty successfully distracted, but now that the day is almost here, I'm having trouble keeping my anxiety at bay. I'm just so concerned that something will go wrong (it's that healthy fear of anesthesia), or that my surgeon will find something else that needs fixing and that I'll be in this same mess again. I'd really like to get back to a "normal" life.

As for exercises at home, I've been taking it pretty easy the past two weeks, to try and keep swelling down. I was on a stationary bike, doing squats, SLRs, hip abductions, side planks, wall sits, step ups/downs, and active heel slides. I've probably been walking on it more than I should, but knowing that I'm about to be cooped up again for another few months has made resting at home challenging!

So exciting that you're really on the mend! How much longer are you going to have to do PT?

Wish me luck tomorrow.

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
Kate,

How did the surgery go? Hope everything was a success so now you can concentrate on healing up and rehab!!

Good to hear you kept up with your strengthening exercises, it'll help you through this recovery process now. That's the toughest part, lying there for near enough 2-3 months. Only way to help it go faster is by keeping yourself occupied which is tough also when you're limited.

Thanks, the knee does feel good. When i squat its a smooth motion rather than the popping and clicking i had before surgery. I still get certain days where it don't feel as good as some others but i'm still healing so its understandable. I think i have another 4-6 months of PT. I'm currently going once a week at the moment, that'll start to taper off as i get past 8 months or so. I see my surgeon in 3 weeks so i'll see what he says. I was told i'll have a scan at around a year post surgery to check if the meniscus has healed into place. It feels as though it has but i'll continue to rehab hard but smartly to give myself the best chance.

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
Surgery went well! My surgeon said that everything is healing well from my surgery in July, and he was happy with the placement of the lateral meniscus.

Overall, the pain has been SO much more manageable this time. It's still painful, but now I wonder how much of the pain was due to the quad autograft as opposed to the meniscus. I still had a night of intense pain (9+) when the nerve block initially wore off at 2 am Wednesday night, but most of my pain since has been from my calf.

When I mentioned calf pain, my doctor got really worried about blood clots or compartment syndrome, so I was sent to the hospital for an ultrasound. They didn't find anything, but the tech did not particularly reassure me when he said to me as I was leaving: "Just be careful; clots can happen at any moment." Once the blood clot was ruled out, my doctor told me to keep an eye out for any worsening signs, but it seems to be on the mend.

Last night was a rough night - I thought that I was ready to reduce my pain medication, but instead found myself writhing in 9+ pain again when I waited too long to take another dose. So, overall, I've found this surgery to be more manageable, but still a pretty rough recovery.

The good news is that I can do straight leg raises in the brace, even with my cryo-cuff on! I was really surprised by how strong my quad was right out of the gate. I'm so used to my quad shutting down completely, so it was exciting to feel like I could at least still maneuver my leg a little bit.

So today I'm four days out, and I'm hoping to settle into a regular PT routine - today I'm aiming for 100 SLRs in brace, 100 quad sets, and ankle pumps throughout the day. It feels a little ambitious, but I think I can do it! As long as my calf doesn't flare up again...

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 06:25:18 AM »
I'm about 4 weeks out now, and my recovery has been so much easier in every possible way that it barely feels like a recovery. I still harbor frustrations with having to use crutches, and I have the typical cabin fever of someone that's been lying on the couch for too long, but that aside, I'm feeling really positive.

The first ~2 weeks were typical for me in that they were painful, sorrowful, and difficult to get through. I didn't post much on them because being on a constant course of pain meds (oxy) tends to put me in a really dark emotional place. I made it through fine, but I'd rather not have a record of a weepy Christmas when I don't think that it was particularly meaningful for my recovery. Suffice it to say that once the stitches were out and the inflammation had settled (around December 27), I was relatively pain free and feeling fairly normal.

My post op check up and first PT appt both went very well: my surgeon was really happy with the results of July's procedure and said that everything was healing well and looking stable. I asked whether he'd removed some scar tissue around my patella since it feels looser, and he said that he had. Then we joked for a bit about making that procedure. I know it's kind of silly, but I really appreciate that my surgeon has consistently remained very approachable and affable despite his intense schedule. He also cleared me to use crutches with a toe touch, instead of staying off of it altogether. I'm still NWB, but it's helpful for navigating stairs.

My therapist was impressed that i was able to do an SLR outside of my brace at full extension. He told me to hold off on coming to PT until the 6 week mark when I'll be able begin closed chain exercises so that I don't run into last year's problem of running out of visits. We keep in touch via email. Currently my routine is very limited - 1000 leg lifts a day and passive heel slides. I've been managing to hit 1000 nearly every day, and some days I get up to 1300.

At this point, I'm eager to move on to next steps: my 6 week checkup is in two weeks and my classes begin next week. Not having the shadow of another surgery weighing over me has made this recovery seem so much more optimistic. I'm eagerly looking into gyms and planning on running a 5K by the end of the summer (yes, I have tentative permission), and next year, I am hoping to sign up for a marathon (working on permission for that one). I'm on course with my goal of going to PT school, I made plans to celebrate my birthday in the spring in Miami (I turn 30 this year!), and I'm looking forward to getting into the best shape of my life.

I'm finally starting to feel out of the woods, and I'm so grateful. I know it's a little early to call, but 2016 is shaping up to be a far better year than 2015 was.

I'll still update regularly once I'm out of the waiting game!

Adam, if you're still in the habit of checking up on this, how are you doing?

support