Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus transplant, second ACL revision  (Read 17770 times)

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Meniscus transplant, second ACL revision
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
This is both a pre- and post- op diary, I suppose.

I first injured myself back in high school in 2002. I was tripped in an indoor soccer match; my left knee popped and down I went, with no idea what kind of saga had just begun. Ever-proud, I walked myself to the nurseís office, insistent that I needed no help despite the pain, and grateful for the chance to shed a few panicked sobs alone between the gymnasium and her office.

After mishandling and misdiagnoses (had I cracked my patella? torn a meniscus?), I finally got a referral to see an orthopedic surgeon, who took one look at my swollen, unstable joint, performed a perfunctory pivot shift test on it, and pronounced my ACL ruptured.

Thirteen years and four surgeries (one ACL on the left, and two plus a meniscectomy on the right) later, Iím now preparing to have an ACLr and a medial meniscal transplant on my right knee. My meniscus has been giving me issues since 2012, when I tore my previously repaired ACL surfing, and with that injury came the dreaded bucket handle tear. It was repaired, but now my surgeons posit that it never healed properly, which led to degeneration of my first ACLr.

What I have found difficult about my current predicament, as opposed to all of the prior surgeries Iíve had, is the lack of optimism Iíve heard from my medical team. Before this most recent injury, the dominant narrative was, ďWeíll fix you up and get you back out there. Rehab will be difficult, but youíll be at 100% in a yearís time.Ē That narrative has since shifted; my doctor tells me that I need to modify my behavior, re-examine my horizons, and get used to a new normal.

I know that electing to have a surgery like this is something of a luxury - my movement is not severely limited; Iím still able to walk, and for that I am ever grateful. But that doesnít ease the pain of knowing that Iíll never ski again with my family, that itís unlikely that Iíll ever be able to truly run through a forest trail without fear, that these aches and pains in my relatively young body are here to stay and worsen.

I used to be an unfit child, slow, chubby, and ungainly. It was, ironically, through the rehabilitation process that I learned to love my body for its strength and power, for its ability to mend and endure. It was through the therapy process after my first ACL surgery on my right knee that I learned to run, and I grew to love the simplicity and the freedom that running gave me. I transformed myself from a sedentary couch-loving 200 pounds to a 130 pound outdoor-loving runner, and thought Iíd never look back. But the repeat injury made me afraid, and I found my weight sneaking up and my hard-earned leg muscles atrophying. When I re-injured my knee this April, the doctor performed an arthroscopic double meniscectomy, which removed most of my medial meniscus and half of my lateral. It was a band-aid procedure, one that made it so that I could extend my knee fully, but now, the joint is so unstable that I cannot walk without fear of it destabilizing, of collapsing under my bodyís own weight.

Itís a strange relationship I have with my body. I marvel at its strength and endurance when I am able to run, fear for its abilities when my knee twinges or catches; I abuse it and I coddle it and I hate it and I cherish it. I donít know where to find the inner strength to motivate myself to come back from this latest surgery because I donít know what to expect: will I be able to run again? Hike? Bike? Will my knee, so prematurely aged, full of strange hardware like staples and stitches and bolts, and with creeping osteoarthritis, ache this way or in worse ways forever? Will I ever truly be able to rely on my own body?

My surgery is in just about two weeks. Theyíll put me under, cut me open, place anotherís foreign tissue where mine is absent, steal a piece of my own quadricep to make a new ACL. This tinkering, which Iíve gained more understanding of than I had ever hoped to, will fix me, or so Iím told.  Running, jumping from rock to rock, water-skiing, many of the summer things that I cherish in a lost-childhood sort of way, are forbidden to me this year. But Iím trying to maintain a cautious optimism while strength training and walking as far as I can, to prove to myself that I can take hold of my own fate, and that I can stay strong, and, someday, learn to trust my own body again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:35:34 PM by ferdiscat »
Left: Dec 02 ACL patellar recon, meniscectomy
Right: Mar 08 ACL allograft recon
Mar 12 ACL allograft revision, meniscus repair
May 15 med + lat meniscectomy
July 15 ACL rev, quad graft, medial meniscal transplant
Dec 15 lateral meniscal transplant

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Meniscus transplant, second ACL revision
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
One week to go before surgery!

Ironically, I am feeling fairly strong - I really pushed myself in PT and at home, and my legs have definition and feel very sturdy. If it weren't for the ever-present ache where my medial meniscus once was, or the creepy ability I have to pop my tibia out of joint simply by pushing it forward slightly at an angle, I would feel healthy. But I know that the instability and the pain are really just indicators of ticking time bombs for my knee's health.

There's been an odd feeling of freedom, knowing that my knee is about is wrecked as it can be (providing I don't do something truly stupid). I've soaked up every ounce of joy that summer's had to offer up; I've hiked through gorges, gone stand up paddleboarding, tubed, boated, swam, and enjoyed time with friends and family. It's been a really wonderful reminder of why I'm doing this - I've worked so hard just to get here, and I deserve a knee that I can trust. Maybe I'll have to give up some of the things that I love most, but this summer so far has reminded me that there is a world of adventure that I haven't discovered yet, and that finding new joys will be a well-earned reward for the year of hard work and pain I am about to undertake.

Now, with a week left to go, I'm struggling to enjoy my remaining freedom. It's difficult not to succumb to feelings of just wanting to have it over and done with, because I know that I will wake up two weeks from now regretting missed opportunities to go for another walk or practice some more gentle yoga or to simply enjoy my body's strength and resilience unencumbered by bandages or crutches or braces.

There are preparations to be made, I know that without a doubt. But preparing myself mentally as well as physically feels just as important as making sure that my affairs are in order before this procedure.

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »
Had surgery yesterday and feeling surprisingly good!

The surgical team did a double nerve block (femoral and sciatic), and I am really really grateful for that. I've had a femoral block before but never a sciatic, and having no pain posteriorly really helped.

My surgery began at roughly 9:30 and lasted 3.5 hours, and I was back home by 5PM. The anaesthesia did mess with my system a little bit (very lightheaded, somewhat dizzy, a little nauseous), but they used both an anti-nausea pill and a patch to keep the nausea down. I don't have much of an appetite, but I am at least able to keep my food down.

I am in almost no pain! The nerve block began wearing out late last night, and I was certain that I was in for a horrible sleep, but the pain stayed manageable. My foot is still a little tingly, but I am able to do leg lifts and ankle rotations fairly easily with my brace locked in extension. I don't know whether my lack of pain is due to residual nerve blocking or if it's the pain pills I was prescribed (I'm on morphine!!!! as well as Oxycontin).

In addition to pain meds, I have to take cephalex in order to stave off infection, and Lovenox to keep myself from getting a blood clot. The Lovenox is an injection, and I have to meet with a home health trainer to learn how to do the injections myself.  :o :-\

I am so so happy with my new surgeon. He took the time before I was sedated to come and speak to me about the transplant, answer any questions that I had, and to wish me luck. He's been incredibly down to earth, kind, and knowledgeable. It feels really good to be in such good hands.

So, feeling pretty good! One day at a time. Keep exercising, stay vigilant about pain management, and I'll be up in no time!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »
hey ferdiscat welcome to the board =)
you should be proud of yourself from the obstacles you have had and your weight loss, included when you mentioned the injections i understand your reaction lol i had celxane injections into the stomach to stop blood clot risks but i couldnt stab myself so i got my sister to do it lol....
Sometimes seeking a second opinion, can create new opinions where some things were not expected at first, i think you have to connect with your surgeon if you dont, there can be created a lack of confidence with you and that surgeon.............
im glad to see your not in much pain keep us posted but remember to keep moving also =)) keep us posted =)

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »
Well, I spoke WAY too soon on lack of pain.

I thought that the nerve blocks had worn off - they usually wear off for me around midnight after surgery. I was able to wiggle my toes and felt a little bit of soreness, so I stupidly thought I was in the clear. Not so much.

This is some of the worst pain I've felt in my life. Granted, I don't have a very high tolerance for pain, but with the number of knee surgeries I've had, I thought I would be able to handle this one with some grace. Instead I spent yesterday morning crying and writhing around on the couch, trying to get in touch with my doctor to up my dosage. Scale-wise, I'd say it peaked at 8 and went down to 6 throughout the day, even with the aggressive pain management schedule. A word of caution: in my opinion, this meniscal transplant has been much more excruciating than an ACLr.   

My pain is more manageable now, although it tends to get ahead of me overnight. I am pretty vigilant about waking myself up at regular intervals to maintain a schedule, but once that morphine starts wearing off, I'm in a world of hurt.

So, the good news: my opposite leg is already growing ridiculously strong; I don't really need to use the crutches to get up and down from the couch and toilet. I do of course, but it's heartening.

It's also been really wonderful to have a support system -  my mother is here to help me recover, my boyfriend is so excellent and patient with me, and my friends have made it their calling to send me hilarious texts and keep my chin up.

Thanks for the welcome, lucha86! Not to sound braggy, but I am pretty proud of myself for getting through this. It's been an incredibly hard road to fitness, but I feel like I'm learning so much about my body. And truly, if I can overcome this, I can overcome anything. Also, I've been drinking a TON of water, so I have to get up and go to the bathroom almost every hour.  ;)

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 11:09:26 PM »
I changed my dressings earlier today, so I figured I'd post a photo so that all can see the havoc that's been wrought on my poor little quad.

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:25:23 PM »
Post op Day 5

I can tell I must be starting to feel better, because I'm beginning to get bored.

Pain management has gotten MUCH easier. I'm off the morphine and only taking half the oxycodone that I was before - currently, about 10mg every 4 hours. Still a lot, but much more moderate than the amount I was taking before!

I've experienced a difference in pain as well. The deep ache of the first few days post-surgery is still present, although not as overbearing. My primary pain now comes from the wound itself as the nerves slowly heal; it feels as though my brace and Cryo-cuff are constantly pulling and pinching on the sutures. it burns and the pain is very sharp, especially if I get up to go to the bathroom, or move my leg from its usual elevated pillows. The constant pain now hovers between 3 and 6 and the sharp pain sometimes approaches 7. It's a little disheartening, but not unexpected. I am also admittedly of a rather low pain tolerance.

In terms of the rest of my recovery, however, I'm feeling okay! I wish that I could do more actively now to speed up the healing process, but I am not cleared to unlocked my brace out of extension, bear any weight, or do any leg lifts if it causes any pain. I've been doing a lot of ankle rolls daily, and since leg lifts cause a lot of pain to my quad and my medial region, I've been doing leg lifts by resting my right leg on my left as a stabilizer, or having someone support my right leg minimally as I practice. I also have a TENs unit that I have been using daily for 15 minute strengthening exercises. Unless I'm sleeping, I try to get up at least every hour from my couch or bed to use the restroom or at least take a lap around the apartment. I still get a little bit faint or woozy, and the motion does tend to hurt my affected knee, so I can't go for very long. But at least it's something.

So, yep, pretty bored. One day at a time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:44:25 PM by ferdiscat »

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
Had my first post-op visit today. Feeling pretty devastated.

Without diving into too much detail, things did not go particularly well.

Don't get me wrong, the doctor is pleased with my results thus far. We didn't take out the sutures yet but they'll come out next week, and he said that my extension looked good and that my swelling was satisfactory.

He's concerned about my lateral meniscus. After having examined it from inside, he thinks that my lateral is as deficient as my medial, and he wants to transplant my lateral soon - within the next six months.

So, long story short,  by Christmas, I'm going to have to do this all again.

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 05:08:02 AM »
I had my first PT visit yesterday. While I tried to stay positive, it was not the best experience I've had to date.

I have known my current therapist for roughly 8 years. I was never his patient before, but we got to know each other from my past injuries - we would rib each other in passing, and he would occasionally stop by to observe my progress. We're a really good match because we both tend to be sarcastic and tough; I tend to do well when I have someone pushing me to my max, who trusts me to push my limits and try my hardest. Too nurturing or too soft and I tend to similarly go soft on myself. Furthermore, we tend to egg each other on and make light of my current rather grim situation. It helps me to have someone that I have to put on a brave face for.

I think I pushed it WAY too far on my first day. Despite the fact that my therapist is used to training professional athletes, and despite the fact that I specifically asked my therapist to TREAT ME like a professional athlete, I for some reason expected my first day back to be an easy one. Not so. We did a full routine - full sets of heel slides, quad sets, 75 straight leg raise reps, and twice on the stim unit. I stayed for over two hours (shoutout to my mom for waiting around!).

Because my quad is injured due to ACL graft harvesting, everything involving the quads just KILLS. I felt sharp, biting pain at the end of my quad every time I engage the muscle, even when just using a stim unit. At the end of PT, my therapist circled back to see if I was good to go, and I was in so much pain that I felt light headed. He took one look at me and decided I wasn't going anywhere. We took my blood pressure, which had dropped to a dangerously low 90/45. I drank some water, ate a protein bar, and waited around for it to climb back up, and after another pressure check, was released.

The drive home was rough (I have to sit in the backseat with my brace locked, sitting sideways), and I nearly passed out going up the stairs to my apartment. The rest of the day, I ran a fever of ~101 and felt really discouraged, depressed, and ill. I knew what I'd done wrong: too little food, too many pain pills, and hadn't taken PT seriously enough. Still, the incident was enough to scare me: what if it takes me weeks to get to a point where I feel like I'm actually making progress? What if I let my therapist down? What if I let myself down?

I had a breakdown last night, an uncontrollable fit of sobs and bitterness at my situation. I'm an anxious person by nature, and well-meaning friends and family keep telling me not to focus on my next upcoming surgery, that thinking that way will only bring me down. I want to throttle them, to tell them that obviously i know that dwelling on the next painful surgery is only going to make my situation so much worse, but it's not a switch I can just turn off. How can I tell myself to not think about, to not take into perspective, the past 4 months (and years past) of this spiral from control into my life being about doctor visits and MRIs and pain management, and how can I tell myself to not project that lack of control into the future, when I know it's my reality?

Today though, I managed 250 leg lifts throughout the course of the day, and managed a 300 mile car ride back to my hometown. I had a few episodes of feeling lightheaded when crossing parking lots to use gas station bathrooms, but they passed quickly. My mood felt much lighter than it had in days. And for the first time, I felt that spark of motivation to start taking control of my own healing process.

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 03:41:48 PM »
Back home from visiting my parents, stitches are finally out, and I managed a straight leg raise without my brace! It's the little things, really. LIKE SHOWERING.

I'm still completely non-weightbearing, and have to keep my brace locked in extension if I'm outside the home, which gets frustrating quickly. I'm starting classes at a community college next week, since it'll be a while before I'm able to work again.

My rehab regimen is pretty involved - 500 leg raises, 200 quad sets, 200 heel slides, and hamstring stretches. I also spend about 2 hours a day in a CPM. I don't manage the full 500 raises every day, but I've hit at least 300, and I manage all the rest of the routine. I still get a lot of pain under my patella and around the tip of my quad, but it's getting much better. And it's SUCH a relief to get the stitches out.

I really had no idea how intense this surgery would be. I knew it'd be tougher than my average ACLr, but I didn't know that my knee could stay this weak for so long. Baby steps, I guess.

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 02:19:22 AM »
Ugh, had a minor fall tonight. While I was trying to crutch up the stairs to my apartment building (they're concrete and pretty steep), I lost my balance, pinwheeled a bit, and landed on my right foot. It barely touched the ground and my brace was lost in extension, but it was still enough to spook me a little bit, and it made me realize that I should be a little less cavalier when I'm tottering around the house.

Anyone with meniscus transplants know just how fragile the new meniscus is? I'm not saying that I want to start weight bearing or anything, but fending for myself without letting my right foot touch the ground at all, even to stabilize, is becoming really disruptive as I try to get more independent. I'm attending community college for the first time in years tomorrow, and I'm nervous about trying to get back to normalcy with how fragile my knee seems to be right now.

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
Hey ferdiscat,

Hope the recovery is going well! I'm nearly 6 weeks post ACL revision and medial meniscus transplant, so you're not alone. From what my surgeon and physio have told me, the meniscus transplant is quite fragile for the first 6-12 weeks. I'm currently non-weight bearing but in a week or so time, i'll be partial weight bearing. Is this the same protocol you're following or is your rehab more aggressive? I've been told that due to the previous surgeries i've had, they're going to be a lot more conservative this time round so i've realised that this is a lengthy recovery process as you know yourself. Its obviously nothing compared to what i've had done previous so i've just been really cautious.

I don't have any pain any more and the swelling is minimal at this stage. How are you doing currently, a lot of pain or swelling? It's nice to see that you're working around it and gong back to college. I start my masters degree at university in a about a month so i know how you feel about being nervous. As you know yourself, as long as you're careful you'll be fine. Hope everything has improved and you're feeling better, stay positive!!

Adam
Ruptured ACL and torn lateral and medial meniscus 22/09/2010
ACL reconstruction and medial menisectomy 28/08/2012
First arthroscopic washout due to infection 03/09/2012
Second arthroscopic washout due to infection 11/09/2012
ACL revision & medial meniscus transplant 24/07/15

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 04:25:32 AM »
Hi Adam,

Sounds like we're protocol buddies in this! I will hit my 6 week recovery on this Wednesday, and I'll start with 50% weight bearing then. SO EXCITED. I have a hard time staying positive on crutches because I'm terrible at asking for help, and I don't like the attention! So excited to be able to open doors, go for (short) walks, etc.

I'm still dealing with some pain and swelling, although it's manageable. The swelling's mainly in my tibia (never knew bones could swell), and the pain usually comes if I have it bent or lowered for a period of time and then try to move back to full extension. My doctor and therapist both warned me that the quad graft would come with extra pain, and they were definitely right on that front - I get a deep, burning pain whenever I try to do SLRs outside of the brace. I'm down to only a 2 degree lag, but getting it to extend completely is still evading me! What sort of graft did you have for your revision?

Like yours, my doctor's been pretty conservative, partly because it's a second revision, and partly because I'm due for the lateral transplant as well in December. Mostly at PT I've been doing SLRs, short- and long- arc quad sets, TKEs, and stims.

Master's, exciting! What are you studying?

Let me know how your 6 week visit goes!

-kate

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 11:34:34 PM »
Hi Kate,

It's nice to find someone else going through this if i'm perfectly honest! No doubt you're managing to put that 50% on now, how you feeling putting that weight on it? I know exactly how you feel, i suppose everyone understands what we're going through though so maybe the help is out of sympathy more than anything haha!

That sounds unusual, thought you may have got that pain maybe on the medial side of the knee where the transplant is. Saying that, the bone plugs from the meniscus transplant and the tibial tunnel for the ACL could be causing that swelling! I've had the hamstring graft again, i had it taken from my non surgical leg this time. Never really noticed any pain from it either which was a bonus. Luckily my swelling is quite controlled, it can flare up a bit when i've done too much but that's the same for everybody!

So yours is a bit more complicated then, i was told my lateral meniscus was ok but maybe down the line i may need a transplant myself so i'll just have to see how it goes. How you feeling about your lateral transplant? I'm sure if this all goes smoothly then it'll be a standard procedure won't it! PT has been uneventful for 7 weeks, quad sets, heel slides - 0-2 weeks 30 degrees, 2-5 weeks 50 degrees, 5-7 weeks 90 degrees. Towel stretch to lightly stretch out my calf as i had a bit of tightness there. This Tuesday i'll be in the hydrotherapy pool so that should be different!!

I'm studying Quantity Surveying! What are you studying at college?

So my 6 week check up was a very good one! My surgeon checked my knee and it was pleasing to hear my ACL is rock solid. He also said everything else is perfectly fine which was a relief as your mind can play tricks on you whilst you're going through this as you know yourself! A change in protocol now, my brace is off altogether whilst i'm in my house. I've saved it for any outside use just in case. I'm also fully weight bearing on crutches if i can manage it! I've put roughly 50-75% on it and although it feels weak it also feels pretty good. I'm hoping these next 2-4 weeks will be the breakthrough weeks where i can go back to work and resume my career and get my life back on track!!

Hope your 6 week visit has gone well, let me know how you've got on also!

Adam
Ruptured ACL and torn lateral and medial meniscus 22/09/2010
ACL reconstruction and medial menisectomy 28/08/2012
First arthroscopic washout due to infection 03/09/2012
Second arthroscopic washout due to infection 11/09/2012
ACL revision & medial meniscus transplant 24/07/15

Offline ferdiscat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 04:17:30 AM »
Hey again Adam!

It's GREAT knowing someone else is going through this! (Er, obviously not that I'd WISH this on anyone.) It's hard to find much good information on meniscal transplants, since info is generally just overwhelmed with meniscectomy / repair information.

Interesting that they harvested hamstring from your other knee! Did they do that all in one procedure? Was your harvested knee painful at all?

My pain and swelling is pretty manageable and nothing I'm too concerned about. I tend to be pretty sensitive to pain, and I'm fairly outspoken about it too. I don't like to complain about it, but I try really hard to be honest with myself and with my doctors about exactly what I'm feeling, because with past ACL injuries I've tried to tough it through only to wind up prolonging everything.

My lateral is a bummer. I have copies of my scopes from the procedure, and my lateral is this teeny little string that's no longer even connected to my tibia except at either horn. Couple that with a mild valgus deformity, and the concern is that I'll have had this much work for nothing. At this point the hope is that we can stave off an osteotomy and an eventual TKR, but there's no guarantee.

Needless to say, I'm definitely not stoked about having another replacement, since I found the procedure to be painful and the first 6 weeks of recovery SLOW. I don't "sit well", so being sedentary for this long has driven me CRAZY. I hope you don't wind up needing a replacement!

My six week was much like yours - my doctor's really happy with my knee, and said that my quad put some of his first-time ACL patients to shame!  He even called in one of his fellows to brag about it! Much like you, I got cleared to stop wearing the brace at home, and I'm free to progress to 100% weight bearing over the next two weeks. I actually walked around a little bit without crutches today in my home. I'm a little sore now in the calf and definitely on the surgical site, but it felt SO GOOD to use my leg. I feel like there's finally some progress!

Our PT's much the same as well, although I'm jealous that you're getting to do hydro! I did get a pretty cool tape job though.

I'm currently finishing some pre-reqs before going back for a post-grad. I haven't 100% committed yet, but I'm strongly considering going back for PT! Might as well put my intimate knowledge of ligaments to use!

Glad your 6 week went so well! Glad I have a knee twin; keep me posted!

-kate

PS: Progress photo!