Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Am I a candidate for Tibia tubular transfer surgery (TTT)???  (Read 688 times)

Offline GreenHeron32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi,

I greatly appreciate anyone who has had a TTT to give advice regarding their experiences pre and post TTT.

Almost 1.5 years ago, I had a lateral release on my right knee. Prior to surgery, I could run, jump, walk downstairs, hike, etc. Immediately after my surgery (and PT for almost 1 year now), I am much worse off. I have to lower my self downstairs (which has caused strain in my right elbow), tape my knee cap every day, its always swollen, and my knee cap "dropped" so it rubs against a bursa sack with every step. Having the lateral release has been the biggest regret of my life. I am a wildlife biologist for a living and hiking in rugged areas is a large part of my job.

My new OS has recommended a tibia tubular transfer to help alleviate some pain. I have mostly heard of people getting a TTT because of continual patella dislocations. Has anyone ever had TTT because of significant pain underneath the knee cap when "loading" the knee (down stairs, etc) or/and to lift the patella up.  I trust my new OS but am quite cautious because my first experience was so horrible.

Thanks, C

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Am I a candidate for Tibia tubular transfer surgery (TTT)???
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »
Hi, I had ttt in September 2014, my knee caused pain and instability and every time I went from sitting to standing I got a popping noise and pain from my knee, I also had a torn mpfl for approx 14 years which was never repaired.

I had ttt along with microfrature and mpfl reconstruction and I have to say my pain/discomfort has greatly improved, I was getting a crunching noise everytime I went up/downstairs and now this is barely noticeable.

Recovery following ttt is extremely hard but I have to say it it is well worth it.
I have been having physio for 9 months and have finally been discharged 😃

Hope this helps
Emma xx
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

support