Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What surgery did I have?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline daspiffyone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What surgery did I have?
« on: February 16, 2004, 03:12:17 AM »
Greeting, All.

I've had patellal subluxation of my left knee since about the age of 7 - I'm 29 now.  I've had two total dislocations, one for each knee and have had surgery on both.  It was the same procedure for both knees by the same surgeon.  The left knee was Summer 88 and the right was Summer 89.

I have three scars on each leg:  one that's about 2 inches long on the back of my thighs, the second is about 4 inches long and runs across my kneecaps, and the third is about two inches long and runs at an angle just below the joint on the inside of each leg.

Years later, I went to get treatment for tendonitis in my knee and was examined by a doctor-in-training and her mentor.  The student inquired about my scars and I told her about the surgeries.  The senior doctor mentioned as an aside that that procedure is no longer performed - better methods have since been found for treating dislocating kneecaps.

The surgeries were performed in Canada in the late eighties by a pediatric othpedic surgeon.  If anyone can give me details about the procedure, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking you in advance,
Krista

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Diving Diva
Re: What surgery did I have?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 04:11:01 PM »
Hi Krista,

Don't know what the operation was but have you thought about getting hold of your medical notes, it would probably tell you in there.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline daspiffyone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 05:44:33 AM »
Thank you Natalie.

I suppose I'll have to ask at the hospital, because the doctor has since moved to another province.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 06:28:37 AM »
You might want to read through the different types of surgery at this web page:  http://www.patellapain.com and see if you can find one that sounds familiar.  The descriptions are quite technical, but if the procedure you had done was an accepted way to address patellar tracking, it should be in this web page.

Click on the 'surgery' tab and read away.  From your description, it sounds like some kind of MPF reconstruction (the hamstring graft?), or medial patello-femoral ligament reconstruction.  But you'd have to ask a doctor if your scars jive with this procedure.  Here is the page that describes it--be WARNED there is a gruesome picture of the open knee surgery there.
http://www.patellapain.com/surgery.htm#MPFL

Heather
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 06:32:17 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline daspiffyone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 03:40:05 AM »
I apologize for the lateness of my reply.

That site certainly gave me some new insight.

I will have to comb through it later when I'm more mentally alert.

Thank you very much for replying.

Krista

support