Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 14 months post Lateral Release - worse than before  (Read 678 times)

Offline Charligrrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
14 months post Lateral Release - worse than before
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:42:37 AM »
Hello all, I'm hoping some light can be shed on my situation. April 2014 I had been experiencing pain in my L knee, swelling and minimal movement.  The mri was inconclusiviinconclusive, no Xray taken so the OS scheduled arthroscopy and when I woke I was told he performed a Lateral Release. I was sent home with an ice cooler and little instructions. I'll be honest, I quit PT after 4 visits.  5 months into recovery the OS said time heals and in the future I may need an injection of a type of lubricant. I was experiencing pain, minor swelling and the discoloration and numbness was still present.
Now, 14 months later, I can only walk about a quarter of a mile and my knee swells bad and I cannot bend it to go up a step. I avoid stairs and am seriously miserable with pain. I ice and use heat. I am up most nights in pain. The darker discoloration is still present as well.
I have a referral to see a new OS, I feel a little discouraged and leary. Has anyone experienced this,  will my options be? Also now my R knee is hurting from compensating.

Offline GreenHeron32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 14 months post Lateral Release - worse than before
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »
Hi,

I had a lateral release of my right knee almost 1.5 years ago and like you, am far worse then before my surgery. I have have been doing PT for almost 1 year now and my new OS is recommending a tibia tubular transfer to alleviate some pain. Like you, I can only walk around the block before I need to stop, my knee is constantly swollen. When they did the release, it caused my knee cap to "drop" - causing my knee cap to rub against a bursa sack. The bursa sack then swells and when I walk, my tibia and femur pinch it. The only thing that makes it a little better is taping my knee cap up and to the inside. It might help to go back to PT - its best to stick with it. I still have pain going down stairs (which I didn't have before the lateral release).

Offline Charligrrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 14 months post Lateral Release - worse than before
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »
Thank you so much for responding.  I see a new OS tomorrow, July 2nd. I will update you on what is said/suggested. My knee is often hot and still a bit discolored. I'm really hoping for relief.

support