Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: therapy after surgery  (Read 806 times)

Offline bicycle gal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
therapy after surgery
« on: June 10, 2015, 11:27:21 PM »
Hi.  I just discovered this board a couple days ago.  I am a 76 year old woman, 12 weeks post surgery for a horizontal fracture of the patella.  My husband and I were in Florida for a seven week vacation.  On Thursday of our first week I climbed out of the pool and slipped on the pool deck.  I landed squarely on my kneecap.  People around the pool could hear the "pop"! 

I was able to stand up and walk to the car, so we went to Urgent Care for an exray.  It showed a totally separated horizontal fracture.  I had surgery the following Tuesday.  I have two screws, and, I think, a wire. OS had me put into a hinged brace.  I was told to keep it locked when walking, but unlocked when sitting or lying down.  He believes in bending with no weight right away.  At two weeks I had my first post-op OS visit, and started physical therapy the next day. I had therapy twice a week, with focus on straight leg raising in several different positions and angles.  I had therapy for four weeks, with a program of exercises to do daily at home.  At five weeks, a few days before we were scheduled to go home, I had my second post op OS visit.  He unlocked my brace to 60 degrees with instructions to increase it by 10 degrees a week until I reach 120, then stop using it.  He told me to continue my exercises, but no further medical appointments unless I started having a lot of pain or stiffness.

Sorry about the long history, but here I am, 12 weeks post surgery, and I feel kind of abandoned.  I have been out of the brace for about two weeks.  I have none to minimal pain, and can walk three miles with no difficulty.  I still can't climb more than 3-4 stairs normally without discomfort, but I can go down with no trouble.  So where do I go from here?  How long should I keep doing straight leg raises?  When is it okay to go to the workout club?  I did go once last week - did 10 minutes on the stationary bike and 5 minutes on the elliptical.  Also did abduction and adduction machines, plus some upper body work.  I am planning on going back this week, but have been busy.  I want to ride my bike in the worst way, but the OS said it would be several months before I will be able to ride.  Bummer!  As you can see from my name, I love riding my bike!

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice you can give me on what to do going forward.  Yhanks in advance.

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: therapy after surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 03:55:19 AM »
I don't have any history with your particular injury, but I would continue to do the rehab exercises that you were given.

I would also see about getting a second opinion with a doctor local to where you are to see if he or she would recommend additional physical therapy.

As for when it's okay to go to the gym, that's a personal question. Can you go to the gym and be safe? I don't just mean the walking around the gym, but can you go to the gym and not let the desire to things cause you to go too far (I've been surprisingly good about this after my most recent surgery). But in general I think getting active sooner rather than later is better. Sitting around is rather boring and in my experience not conducive to recovery.

Offline bicycle gal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: therapy after surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »
Thanks Torao.  I did in fact see a local OS about a week after I got home.  My knee was very hot.  I called the office of the doc in Florida who did the surgery first.  They recommended Aleve and icing for a week, then seeing someone local if knee still hot.   A week later the knee was still hot, so I saw a local OS who had treated me for a severe ankle sprain several years ago.  He had the knee xrayed.  He said it looked great.  Full ROM, no sign of infection, and healing nicely.  He did not feel any further PT was needed, but that I should continue with straight leg and other therapies given to me by the Florida PT.  I learned from this forum that the hot knee is common with this surgery, so I'm not worrying about that.  I went to the gym again today and had a nice workout.  Still concerned about what to do going forward.  I'd love to hear from someone who is a couple weeks to a month farther along the recovery trail.

support