Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella comes off groove when fully extended  (Read 581 times)

Offline kneegurubro

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Patella comes off groove when fully extended
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
My physio said it was caused by the vmo muscle being weak which caused the other muscle to pull it to the other side, but i've been strengthening it and it's made no difference so it must be something else, has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it?

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: Patella comes off groove when fully extended
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
Have you had it scanned? When my leg is extended my knee cap slides off to the outside, and when I bend my knee it clunks back into the middle of my knee. Does that sound like your knee? If it does and you haven't had it scanned it might be that you have trochlea dysplasia - which is what I have. Its where instead of having a groove for your knee cap to slide along, the groove is flat or can ever be domed (sorry if you know all this already!) basically I was told the same thing as you for ages and given a load of PT to try and strengthen my muscles where actually it was the bone and groove which were the issue all along.
Trochlea dysplasia can be fixed surgically, but if you haven't had a scan yet I would suggest you try and get one first. It may be something different to my knee, but I have just had three surgeries to try and correct my leg so it's probably worth trying to find out sooner rather than later what is wrong with your knee.
2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy