Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release repair/reconstruction 6/1/15  (Read 3226 times)

Offline icenet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Release repair/reconstruction 6/1/15
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:06:12 AM »
Hi All,
If you have read my post-op thread on my lateral release done in 2010 you basically disregard most of it.  It was an isolated lateral release on my left knee done by an idiot doctor who has no moral or ethical values. The patella alignment was normal and the surgery was unnecessary. Once the pain meds stopped, things were worse than I realized.  Hence the theme of me thinking it's all good.

6/1/15- Flew from CA to MI to have Dr. Teitge repair my LPFL.  So happy to have been able to pull this off knowing Dr. Teitge may retire at some point.  Worried about the risk of if something goes wrong post-op, it's not going to easy to get to MI.  But Dr. Teitge has done more LPFLr than anyone.  He also gave me a 70% chance of a repair rather than a reconstruction.  He felt there was enough tissue left that a repair would be possible. This would allow for a faster recovery than the reconstruction. 

Surgery was scheduled for 1pm and I checked in at 11am. He operates out of Heritage Hospital in Taylor MI.  I was nervous as I was doing this trip solo.  Dr. Teitge saw me in pre-op as was joking around which helped with my nerves.  Unlike my first surgery, I knew Dr. Teitge was going to do his best to help me. He pushed on the side of both kneecaps to check for subluxations. I know mine weren't as bad as others. I don't remember leaving pre-op.  I woke up in the hospital room in very little pain.  I still had the epidural in my back.  Dr. Teitge stopped by around 8:45pm to check on me. This guy works late! All went well he said. 

1 day post-op: I can't say enough about the staff at Oakwood Hospital. They are awesome!  They removed the epidural. I was able to walk and was weight bearing.  Minor pain. Lots of stiffness and swelling.  Dr. Teitge stopped by while I moved to a chair for some PT.  I had about 90* ROM while sitting. He seemed pleased.

2 days post-op: Discharge day. They removed the dressing and let me shower. I was surprised that this was possible with such a long wound covered with steri-strips.  The gave me crutches but I only needed them as protection.  Knee never buckled.  Dr. Teitge stopped by and I showed him I can walk with no crutches. I asked him when I should start PT and he said not for 6-8 weeks! But I do have some home exercises to do. All the basic PT stuff (quad sets).  It was a long plane ride to CA as I didn't want any meds.  I had an option for Norco but declined. Just asked for ibuprofen which I took when I landed.  Back home at last!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:46:44 PM by icenet »

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: LPFL repair 6/1/15
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »
I flew to have surgery with Dr. T from the Ca Bay Area this year in Feb. 2nd.  Staff is amazing.  I had a distal TTT a MPFLr, (donor graft) and he op'ed out of a LPFLr as I had a LR on the knee back in 1998.  I am interested in flowing your recovery. I am 40 tears old and have had bilateral knee issues since my early 20's.  Good luck.  I recovery fast my knee feels more stable, but my pain seems similar to pre op.  It is still early though. 

Offline icenet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »
7 Days post-op: Friday and Saturday I was very active in the sense of walking by doing errands for the bulk of the day.  By about mid-afternoon, the knee does get stiff and more painful.  I'm still doing by PT exercises three times a day.  I've taken an ibuprofen 800mg last night and one night before. Thursday I noticed a small amount of blood on the bottom inch of the the incision. This has not returned luckily.  Today at the gym, I was able to make a full 360 on the recumbent bike with the seat all the way back.  I remember this trick from my lateral release PT.  I didn't really push it as I'm not sure if Dr. Teitge wants me on the bike so soon.

Offline icenet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
2 weeks post-op.  I was back to work on Monday which would be one week after the surgery.  I sit mostly so I had little problem.  After a while, the knee does stiffen and gets more painful when I get up and walk.  Going up stairs is ok but down is still a bit a problem unless I go with double or baby steps.  ROM when sitting is about 100*. I'm making slow progress each day.  Black and blue marks with swelling on the front and back are still present.  Steri strips are still on and can get itchy at times.  I'm eager to get my quad back in shape as it never recovered from the atrophy of the first LR. 

Offline icenet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 04:06:32 AM »
3 weeks post-op: Big improvements in ROM and pain.  I'm only taking NSAIDs once every few days to mostly help with the swelling.  I can go down stairs all most normally.  My only concern is with the incision. One of the sutures end points could be infected. It is red so I've been applying Neosporin.  I may see my PCP about this just to be safe.  The steri-strips should fall off in 6-8 weeks but there is some dried blood underneath. First disadvantage of an out of state surgery as I would like Dr. Teitge to look at this.

Offline icenet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 01:59:39 AM »
4 weeks post-op.  Continuing improvements in ROM and pain.  One of the sutures may have been infected so I've been applying a prescription cream that has helped.  I'm concerning with the only minor decrease in swelling especially on the lateral side. My patella is still about double normal size.   Also, there is some numbness around the incision.  It's going to be hard to stay inactive with my legs for another month. I really want to get on the bike as I know I would be pain free.

Offline icenet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »
10 weeks post-op: If the lack of response to this thread means people have stopped getting lateral releases, that's a good thing. :) Last week I had my knee drained as the reduction in swelling was minimal post surgery.  I'm not sure if the swelling is due to me not taking daily NSAIDS or icing more regularly. The draining help relieve most of the tightness which was my only current symptom. Currently, no pain, full range of motion although I'm told not to go past 90* and minor swelling.  Working with light weights at the gym and the recumbent bike. Two more weeks to go before I kick it into high gear.  8)

Offline icenet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Lateral Release repair/reconstruction 6/1/15
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »
3 months post-op. I was doing great up until about a few weeks ago when I moving some furniture with a friend and tweaked something in the knee.  I went back on Nsaids as I was having a throbbing pain. It was gradually improvement but still not back to where I was prior to the accident.  I've slowed down most I my PT but it's still a  source of concern.  If any US readers were thinking of seeing Dr. Teitge for this surgery, he is no longer working at Wayne State Physician Group and maybe retired.  If I'm able to locate him, I'll forward the info.

Offline runfar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 03:22:39 AM »
I had a lateral release done in April of 2015 in SF area of CA.  I was an avid multi-sport (mainly running, cycling, hiking) athlete, lean and fit.  I have diligently performed all physical therapy, spent one hour a day e-stimming my quad, PT for 9 months, a huge quad strength training program --- and my status post-op is continuing to decline.  Severe quad atrophy, debilitating pain and severe lack of function.  I can no longer go up or down stairs, can not walk a few blocks, and have pain with any type of movement.  My surgeon did a "full release" because I had patellar tendinosis for a year, with pain intermittently.  I ran 2 marathons pain free in 2014, but would have flare ups when my activity level increased too much.  Then I would rest and become pain free, and again resume activity.  He said my pain would keep returning because my patella was "not tracking properly" and I needed  a lateral release to correct it.  I have a big  visible "notch" on the lateral side of my knee where the release was done (it seems all the way through to the trochlea), extending into my vastus lateralis area.  The release site seems to extend up the leg, beyond the superior border of the patella.  The surgeon is now thinking I need to have a repair surgery.  I am seriously considering it, because my life is ruined because I am not able to do any of my sports or outdoor activities.  I can not even kick when I swim.  I am interested in your last post regarding Dr. Teitge -- I tried to find him on the internet, but he is not listed at that hospital and I can find no contact info. If you are able to contact him, I would like to get an opinion from him or a referral to someone who is experienced in repair surgeries and has had success. (My surgeon has never done one before and I absolutely do not want HIM to attempt a repair).  Also, how are you doing??  Are you able do walk or hike or even run? I would be interested in hearing more about your experience. I am interested to hear from anyone who has had a repair surgery and to know how the repair was done, how recovery went, and to what level their activities have increased.  I find it hard to believe my knee will ever be normal again, but I need to be able to at least hike and be out of pain.  Thank you for your help!!

Offline icenet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 06:57:01 AM »
I had a lateral release done in April of 2015 in SF area of CA.  I was an avid multi-sport (mainly running, cycling, hiking) athlete, lean and fit.  I have diligently performed all physical therapy, spent one hour a day e-stimming my quad, PT for 9 months, a huge quad strength training program --- and my status post-op is continuing to decline.  Severe quad atrophy, debilitating pain and severe lack of function.  I can no longer go up or down stairs, can not walk a few blocks, and have pain with any type of movement.  My surgeon did a "full release" because I had patellar tendinosis for a year, with pain intermittently.  I ran 2 marathons pain free in 2014, but would have flare ups when my activity level increased too much.  Then I would rest and become pain free, and again resume activity.  He said my pain would keep returning because my patella was "not tracking properly" and I needed  a lateral release to correct it.  I have a big  visible "notch" on the lateral side of my knee where the release was done (it seems all the way through to the trochlea), extending into my vastus lateralis area.  The release site seems to extend up the leg, beyond the superior border of the patella.  The surgeon is now thinking I need to have a repair surgery.  I am seriously considering it, because my life is ruined because I am not able to do any of my sports or outdoor activities.  I can not even kick when I swim.  I am interested in your last post regarding Dr. Teitge -- I tried to find him on the internet, but he is not listed at that hospital and I can find no contact info. If you are able to contact him, I would like to get an opinion from him or a referral to someone who is experienced in repair surgeries and has had success. (My surgeon has never done one before and I absolutely do not want HIM to attempt a repair).  Also, how are you doing??  Are you able do walk or hike or even run? I would be interested in hearing more about your experience. I am interested to hear from anyone who has had a repair surgery and to know how the repair was done, how recovery went, and to what level their activities have increased.  I find it hard to believe my knee will ever be normal again, but I need to be able to at least hike and be out of pain.  Thank you for your help!!
Sorry for the delay.  I'm 9 months post-op and am doing great. But the recovery was harder than I thought.  Lots of ups and down.  I don't run because of my back. But I do run up stairs with no problem and started back on my Insanity DVD just recently.  Go see Dr. Teitge. I know of only three docs that do the repair and I've seen all three. Teitge is at two locations now: 586-558-2860, 248-489-4410. Also, here is a great thread from 2011: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=56141.90

Offline runfar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 02:58:50 AM »
Thank you for the info.  I am now 11 months post LR surgery and despiteP T 2x per week 2 hours each time with an excellent PT who is trying to get my quad function back, my quad still does not fire when I walk and I have zero increase in quad muscle mass after it all wasted away.  I believe part of the attachment to my IT band was cut , so the remaining attached IT band is "strumming" over my femoral lateral condyle and incredibly painful.  I can load my knee i.e. to go down a stair, and my ROM is decreasing steadily.  I have a huge "notch" in the side of my knee where the release was done -- w;which seems to be widening -- so whenI try to stretch the knee, the tissues on the side of the notch pull and feel like they are going to rip more and if possible, extend the release.  The release is extended superior to the patella into the VL attachment.  I will give Dr. Teitge a call.  Who are the other two docs?  Can you describe some of the problems you still have?  Are you able to walk down stairs normally?  Do you still have pain? (My knee is in pain 24/7)  Do you have normal function in the knee and normal ROM?  Thank you for your help.  I just keep getting told I could be made even worse by a repair surgery (would have been nice to have known   the LR could have made me worse in the first place and I wouldn't have had the surgery!)  I read horror stories about the repairs and how they do them.  Any more info would be helpful.

Thanks!!!!

Offline runfar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 03:07:18 AM »
HI Icenet-

Also wanted to let you know that for some reason, the knee guru site is not letting me respond with pm's -- so I guesss I have to reply by these posts :(

Offline Iris123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 11:50:25 AM »
Hi, can I ask you for the names of the doctors who know how to repair the lateral release?
How did your repair take place?
With a suture or with a piece of tissue taken from other parts of the body?
thank you!!