Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MUA progress - need opinions on my timeline  (Read 655 times)

Offline bumrightknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MUA progress - need opinions on my timeline
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »
Hey all,

I'd like some opinions on my recovery from my MUA I had recently. My surgeon thinks I should be at 140 degrees already. Here is my timeline with flexion #'s:

4/7/15 - Right knee open synovectomy; full range prior to.

5/19/15 - MUA, surgeon was able to get full flexion. Flex prior to MUA was only 30 degrees. Massive swelling in knee and quad after. Next day at PT, flex was at 103 degrees. Right quad atrophy.

6/5/15 - Currently at roughly 87 degrees active, 95 degrees passive. I'm going to PT everyday and getting good stretches (right up to pain threshold) along with other exercises.

I saw my surgeon again today who said I will need another MUA if I'm not at 140 by next week. I think I'm making steady progress, and PT does too, considering I was at 30 degrees prior to MUA and the amount of swelling I had.

What is your opinion about my progress? I think another MUA at this point is simply not an option.

Thank you!

Offline geococcyx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: MUA progress - need opinions on my timeline
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:28:24 PM »
Well for one, I think it's highly unlikely that you will gain 50 degrees in a week...
I tend to agree with you, I wouldn't have been too keen on another MUA either. You'll get new pain and new swelling and probably end up with a ROM setback. I had a MUA myself 3 years ago, they never told me how they expected me to  progress but they gave me 3 months to work on ROM before next check-up and you're at what? 3 weeks? Seems a bit rushed to me, especially if you're making progress.
Not that I'm a big fan of MUAs anyway. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have begged them to skip the forced bending and gone straight for the arthroscopic  release, people who've had both report less pain from the latter. MUAs will also tear a lot of tissues and cause bleeding that will stay in the knee, the swelling itself makes ROM work harder and the  blood also increases the risk of making more scar tissue. It may not get so bad since your tissue is not that old, maybe that's why the hurry, but stlll.
I'm not saying you *shouldn't* have a MUA, I'm just a fellow patient not a doctor but it may be an idea to discuss your concerns with the surgeon before agreeing to anything.