Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A strange question  (Read 884 times)

Offline jennifer123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
A strange question
« on: February 15, 2004, 10:45:07 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to this area of the board... but, I have a general question.... a strange general question....

I've had 4 knee surgeries in the past year.  So, after each surgery, I use crutches and go to school (at a big university).  But usually, in between the surgeries, I've been off crutches for a while.  However, I've never been very stable - always limped.  The question I have is if anyone has found a good way to not get "bumped into" while walking through crowds.  At school it's very difficult... if I have crutches, people avoid me.  It's not a big deal for other people when they bump into me, but my knees are usually barely able to walk and so for me to get bumped into or have to swerve is very difficult and painful.  

Anyone come up with good tricks?  I've found one way is to freeze and stop walking and let people walk around me... at least I won't be in motion when I'm bumped.  Anyone else have ideas?  When I'm walking again, I'm thinking about carrying
a crutch around as visible sign....

Thanks,
Jennifer
8 surgeries:
2/03 ACL left knee
5/03 LR right knee
6/03,1/04 scar tissue removal left knee
5/04, 6/04 adhesion removal, anterior interval release;  8/04 MUA, insufflation, injection; 8/1/08 ACL left knee (again) + LOA

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: A strange question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 12:33:26 AM »
An option might be a cane. Even if you don't require the additional stability, the cane might give you the "space creating" result that the crutches did, with less hassle, if being bumped into causes that much of an issue.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 12:51:07 AM »
Cane sounds like a really good suggestion....my initial thought was a giant orange flag on a long pole attatched to your head!!! ;D That would be funny...just kidding, good luck with getting a space of your own...I bet that getting bumbed into is really painful...
Hang in there good luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 12:54:38 AM »
I used a cane a lot to get around on the university campus that I'm at after my surgery... sometimes I'd just sorta carry it in the position of almost using it, and not really use it, but people were certainly curteous and sympathetic.  In my opinion, it worked like a charm.

Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!