Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL hamstring graft questions  (Read 647 times)

Offline SimonM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL hamstring graft questions
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »
Hi

I had my acl hamstring graft 4 years ago. I have been back playing football for 3 years with no problems at all.

2 weeks ago i landed awkwardly with my 'bad' knee kind of folding underneath me. Everything seemed to be in slow motion as i thought to myself 'oh crap' and braced myself for some severe pain.

However there was no pain what so ever and no popping sound so i carried on and played as normal completely pain free although slightly shocked that all was ok.

Anyway since the incident i have had a tiny amount of swelling and a click on the outside of my knee (left knee, to the left of the patella) when i bend my knee. Not a click noise but a click feel. Still no pain so i am assuming i may have just strained some ligament somewhere.

Anyway, one thing i am dying to know is;

If my graft was to snap / rupture again, would i feel the same pain as the initial injury?
Does my graft have nerve endings?
Is my graft believed to be stonger than the acl in my 'good' knee?

I really am a noob with all this but if someone can help i will be garetful.

Offline Piri00

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: ACL hamstring graft questions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »
I heard that you wont't feel same pain in ACL tear as reconstructed graft doesn't have nerves.
But you may feel pain around the knee when you sprain other ligaments and knee muscles.

You may just sprained your knee.

Similar thing happened to me 6 weeks ago after 1 year of ACL reconstruction.
Did train for football and when I made pass something snapped in my knee... sounded like tearing.
Knee was painful and little bit swollen and after three days it was all fine but my knee felt loose.
Went to doctor and PT and they said that acl is little bit stretched but still fine.
They assumed  that I did some injury to my knee but it is not serious.
I hope they are right as my knee is still loose after 6 weeks of injury and I hope I need to build up back my muscles.