Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fractured Patella hardware removal surgey  (Read 510 times)

Offline acarbone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured Patella hardware removal surgey
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,

A little over 10 weeks ago, I was in Mexico riding a mo-ped when I was hit by a truck. I had an open fracture and had to have surgery (two pins and wire inserted) in Mexico the day of the accident.

It's been 10 weeks and 3 days and I've still be unable to get my ROM past 90 degrees. I'm currently at 86.

In the first 6-8 weeks of PT, I was able to increase 15 degrees each week, up until about 75 degrees. Since then, the swelling has gone down and I've been unable to increase more than 5 degrees a week, if that. It's definitely getting frustrating. Too add, the pins are really starting to stick out of the knee, and are visible every time I bend. I'm getting a lot of pain from the hardware- feeling it scrape the skin from the inside constantly.

So my question here is, if i have the hardware removed, will I be back to square one with PT and being out of work? I was out of work for 2 months and just recently returned. It has also taken over 45 hours of PT to get to 90 degrees ROM, so I'm wondering if I'll lose all that progress.

Any insight or personal experience to help ease my fears would be so appreciated!

support