Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post OP w/ no pain..runner rehab help  (Read 1126 times)

Offline mikekanney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Post OP w/ no pain..runner rehab help
« on: February 16, 2004, 09:16:58 PM »
Hi,

I am an avid runner looking for advice.  My meniscous repair surgery was on 2/12 and I feel good, but I don't want to over do it.  After day 5, I feel like I am ready for the gym.  However, I need advice from anyone and support from everyone.  My OS said I should be able to run in 6-8 wks.  What are the best exercises for runners.  What other aerobic types exercies should I do to fill the void?  ;)

v/r
MK

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Light @ the end of tunnel isn't an oncoming train!
Re: Post OP w/ no pain..runner rehab help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 04:01:12 AM »
Mike,

Did your OS recomend Physical Therapy? I would definitely talk to your doctor about going to the gym. It takes a few months for the Meniscus to heal itself until then you must be careful. You dont want to retear your Meniscus. If you feel you are ready for the gym please call your doctor and have him set you up for Physical Therapy. Then you will have someone watching over you telling you which exercises that are right for you in this stage  of your recovery. Better safe than sorry.

I am happy to hear that you are doing so well after your repair.

Hope you are back to running soon!

Christina
Meniscus tear/Torn MCL/Partially Torn ACL
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0
deg.Take yr  to rebuild quad.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Post OP w/ no pain..runner rehab help
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 05:20:55 AM »
Mike-

Did you actually have a menicus repair or was the tear removed?

This makes quite a big difference in terms of recovery.  If the tear was removed physical therapy is not necessary, and in fact there has been some new guidelines that say it's not needed.  You can pretty much do what you want as long as you start out slow and work up the intensity/duration gradually.

If it was repaired then I would suggest physical therapy.  The healing mensicus needs to be protected and the majority of OS will have the patient be NWB/PWB for 4-6 weeks.  

In terms of cardiovascular fitness, depending on what you have had done.  Biking is always good since it is relatively non-impact.  Swimming is good as long as there is no ROM restrictions.  You could also try a UBE.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.