Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fractured Tibial Plateau - no surgery needed  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Barbiec1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Fractured Tibial Plateau - no surgery needed
« on: February 13, 2004, 04:59:30 PM »
Hello -

Never in a million years did I ever think I would be posting a note on a knee medical site. Now that I am passed that, let me explain my current misery.

I fractured my Tibial Plateau last week skiing. The good news is that it doesn't require surgery, nor a cast,  and the damage that was done to my ACL will heal on its own along with the fracture. I know this is definitely a positive twist to what could of been a lot worse outcome, but I am considerably scared of the many weeks of recuperation I have ahead of me.

I was hoping that ''fellow knee injurers'' out there can comment on my situation and perhaps provide some useful insight on what I can expect, living life on crutches, and anything else that might seem relevant.

I hope to get back on the slopes again, but right now that very much seems like a pipe dream.

Help!

Ciao -
Barbie  :'(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:01:29 PM by Barbiec1973 »

Offline Barbiec1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Fractured Tibial Plateau - no surgery needed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 04:59:30 PM »
Hello -

Never in a million years did I ever think I would be posting a note on a knee medical site. Now that I am passed that, let me explain my current misery.

I fractured my Tibial Plateau last week skiing. The good news is that it doesn't require surgery, nor a cast,  and the damage that was done to my ACL will heal on its own along with the fracture. I know this is definitely a positive twist to what could of been a lot worse outcome, but I am considerably scared of the many weeks of recuperation I have ahead of me.

I was hoping that ''fellow knee injurers'' out there can comment on my situation and perhaps provide some useful insight on what I can expect, living life on crutches, and anything else that might seem relevant.

I hope to get back on the slopes again, but right now that very much seems like a pipe dream.

Help!

Ciao -
Barbie  :'(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:01:29 PM by Barbiec1973 »

Offline caroline_f_98

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Fractured Tibial Plateau - no surgery needed
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 11:44:55 PM »
Hi Barbie

See the link to my diary below to see my timelines. I fractured my TP and also tore my ACL and PCL. I did need surgery as I had a v bad fracture- a type 6, the worst apparently.

However, my recovery is going really well and I expect my life to go back to normal in a few months. I have full ROM and should have full extension by next week.  ;D

There are lots of people with this fracture who post in the section 'bone breaks around the knee'

Best wishes
Caroline
Type 6 tib plat  r leg
Surgery  29/11/03 2 plates, 9 screws
FWB at 18 weeks
Full ROM, 0 extension
PT, H20 PT, swim & bike
HW removed Nov 05
Diary www.mybrokenleg.com/caroline

Offline caroline_f_98

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Fractured Tibial Plateau - no surgery needed
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 11:44:55 PM »
Hi Barbie

See the link to my diary below to see my timelines. I fractured my TP and also tore my ACL and PCL. I did need surgery as I had a v bad fracture- a type 6, the worst apparently.

However, my recovery is going really well and I expect my life to go back to normal in a few months. I have full ROM and should have full extension by next week.  ;D

There are lots of people with this fracture who post in the section 'bone breaks around the knee'

Best wishes
Caroline
Type 6 tib plat  r leg
Surgery  29/11/03 2 plates, 9 screws
FWB at 18 weeks
Full ROM, 0 extension
PT, H20 PT, swim & bike
HW removed Nov 05
Diary www.mybrokenleg.com/caroline