Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: help...  (Read 691 times)

Offline eleni

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
help...
« on: February 15, 2004, 04:25:05 PM »
I slipped on ice and, as I was falling, the knee of the leg I was standing on, cracked towards the inside. When I stood up, my leg started shaking. I was told by the doctor, my ligament or my pouch are injured and he immoblized my knee with bandage. It is swollen and it hurts. Should I worry? What implications can there be?? Will it heal on its own??? PLEASE ANSWER!!!

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: help...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 04:38:23 PM »
I believe what your doctor is hinting at is that you might have some medial collateral ligament damage.  This is the ligament which runs on the inside of the knee.  It prevents excessive valgus (inside) openning of the knee joint.  

It is hard to really go into the implications and other recovery info, until you really know what is going on inside your knee.  I would suggest seeing an orthopedic surgeon.  Besides the MCL there is also the chance of lateral or medial mensical damage, and possible other ligament damage.  

If it just the MCL, with proper rehab it should heal fine and you shouldn't have any long term effects from it.    The MCL lies outside the joint capsule, so it has a good blood supply as compare to the other ligaments of the knee.  

For now practice the RICE principal (rest, ice, compression, elevation).  You can also do so simple exercises such as ankle pumps, quad sets, and hamstring sets in order to retard atrophy.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.