Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus Scaffolds  (Read 4430 times)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Meniscus Scaffolds
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »
Fair enough, just not in that list. He and Tim Spalding seem to be among the top meniscus guys in the UK. Guess it depends where you live. It can be very hard to get into see Mr spalding (a friend of mine was a patient of his for years). Can be months even privately

How much meniscus have you had removed?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline fraz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »
In answer to the questions:
Actifit cost 6000 in Belgium vs 12000 for the UK.
I can run comfortably for a couple of miles and after that it feels uncomfortable and I instinctively feel like stopping to protect my knee (I have grade 4 lesions behind my patella that appear to have partly healed over on my recent MRI and I dont want to dislodge the new cartilage). Theoretically I could run a marathon but I just don't think its a good idea. The amount and position of meniscus that  was replaced was 50-60% of my medial meniscus posterior horn included. I was in and out of Belgium within 3 days. I definitely wouldn't recommend that to anyone, it isn't like recovering from an arthroscopy, its much worse. I believe the Actifit takes 5 years to fully develop. I had a good infill, but it never replaces the full thickness of meniscus. For that reason running, carrying weight and jumping from heights is something that I now avoid.

Yes i get the idea you are looking after the actifit implant and being careful-and you've had chondromalacia patella as well?-what treatment have you had fot this?-The actifit implant wouldn't help patella cartilage would it?-just meniscus-
The SVF I've had is good for bone and cartilage but not meniscus-and that would apply to bone marrow too I would think-

Thats where the actifit comes in-

Offline fraz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 02:00:08 AM »
Hi, a question for Actifitman who had actifit implant-How soon could you walk?-I don't mean any distance but just walk so you could go to the shops in your car or get off the plane to drive back home afterwards?-without being in agony?-

I ask in case I need to plan to have the op done on my knee :)-thanks

Offline Selene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 06:52:53 PM »
I went to see Ian McDermott myself, I was pinning my hopes on him to have Actifit done as first line treatment. He simply would not do it and suggested meniscus reshape to start with. I won't say anymore as I've expressed my views fully on the other thread.

As for Mr Spalding, if you have a look on his website, he said there is no discernable difference between Actifit and Menafex.. this was the case when I last had a look in the autumn. Hopefully he has amended that passage now.

Offline Actifitman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »
In answer to your question about how long before you can walk. You cant fully load bear for about 4 months, its part of the strict rehab procedure. I did drive after 7 weeks, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it for the first 10 weeks. You can travel with crutches to/ on the aeroplane etc after 2 days like I did, if you're a complete masochist - it was a serious mistake on my part, and I will never forget the agony of that journey. Seriously, I'd recommend at least a week recuperating after the operation before travelling, even to any shops on crutches.

Offline Actifitman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
Re your question about the patella damage, I was told by the surgeon after reviewing my MRI 18 months ago that I had 2 grade 4 lesions behind the patella, along with a couple of quite spectacular bone cysts(I think thats what they're called) I had a hyaluronic acid injection and was told that was all he could do. The patella problem has caused me massive amounts of pain and limitation until about 10 months ago, when it improved markedly. I think this may be partly due to me reading an article about a study by Prof Ian Clark, in which mice were given cartilage lesions and the ones that were fed a particular brand of Broccoli that is high in Sulphoraphane recovered. After reading this article, I started eating broccoli (supermarket standard) every day starting 14 months ago..portions of about 200-250g and my symptoms improved. I went for another MRI recently and the improvements were stunning. The cysts are gone and the patella holes are covered up albeit with cartilage that looks fragmented. I took measurements at set points here and there and my articular cartilage has thickened all over. I had grade 2 lesions on the femoral condyle and the infill in these areas has evolved from wide bowl like indentations into tiny deep cave like structures. I contacted Ian Clark to tell him about my success, and he mentioned to me a special brand that would allow me to eat less than I have been.(I had said to him that I was fed up eating so much for so long).

support