Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: lateral meniscectomy - one week post op  (Read 1323 times)

Offline danielco12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
lateral meniscectomy - one week post op
« on: June 25, 2015, 01:25:16 AM »
I injured my left knee in July last year, knee was swollen and felt weaker afterwards. on January I skied and made it worse - MRI scan showed torn lateral meniscus. since than I did sports from time to time and the knee got swollen sometimes after activity.
a week ago I had arthroscopy, radial tear in the lateral meniscus was partially removed.
I'm still using a cane and the knee is swollen, started pt exercises on day three and felt better.
the thing that worries me is strong pain in the front/center of my knee especially when the leg is almost straight, think that's because for the first two days I was with a pillow below my knee without much movement. it prevents me from walking and I'm really worried as my doctor said I should be walking after two days and can be back to work after a week. week had passed and i'm still not able to walk by myself.
does this sounds normal? has anyone experienced similar pain?

thank for listening, any kind of help will be much appreciated!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: lateral meniscectomy - one week post op
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:54:58 AM »
Everyone recovers at a different rate, people react differently to the trauma of surgery (even though the incisions are small, arthroscopy is hard and traumatic on the knee),  the amount of work done by the surgeon varies and so on

You should rest the knee as much as you can, elevating it up above your heart. But never with a pillow under the knee, only under the calf or ankle, otherwise you could block the knee reaching full extension.

You should be doing basic physio range of motion exercises several times a day, maybe 10 reps at a time. Heel slides, ankle pumps, static quad contractions and straight leg raises (lying and seated). After the exercises, apply an ice pack for 15 minutes (always wrapped in a cloth). You might also find anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen (Advil) helps with the swelling. It's probably the swelling as well as the trauma to the knee that causes the pain

After my lateral menisectomy in 2010, I was using crutches on and off for 4 weeks, I had 3 weeks away from from my office job and wasn't permitted to drive.

If concerned, speak to your physiotherapist or surgeon. Unfortunately, patience is needed, most people will need several months to be close to normal after arthroscopy
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline danielco12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: lateral meniscectomy - one week post op
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
thanks, actually today was a lot better, pain in the center almost disappeared.
been to the pt today, feels like my knee is improving everyday and i am sure it will be better after i'll strengthen the muscles around it.

support