Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Long term unresolved knee issue  (Read 1187 times)

Offline petvan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Long term unresolved knee issue
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:31:52 AM »
Hi all,

New here as I just came across the site and am hoping I might find some insight to a long term issue I've been having.

I'm 40ish and reasonably active.  For several years I've been lifting weights without issue. About 2 years back I started to have an issue where only when doing lifts like the clean or the deadlift where you bend forward and aggressively lift a barbell from the floor, I could run into some pain.  The pain is extremely intense - ie scream worthy - and occurs immediately with no buildup and seems located on the inside of might right knee somewhat around the top of the tibia.  It is a sprain type pain and will occur if I lift something very heavy once, or if I build up with a medium weight.  Over time, it has tended to occur more often and I've triggered it on a rowing machine with high resistance as well. In all cases, no buildup - just 24 happy reps and the 25th is agony.

Here is the odd part.  When this first occurred, I thought I might have broken my leg.  I couldn't put my shoe on or off nor could bend forward to touch the ground without incredible pain.  However, 20 minutes later the pain was 90% gone, and a day later, was 100% gone.   Nor was there ever any swelling or any sore to touch areas.  Also, this never occurs when I do other lifts including squatting.  I can easily put 300lb on my shoulders and squat deep over and over, but can't pick the same barebell off the ground once.

This has occurred on and off for 2 years as I simply limited my movements in the gym to work around it.  I've been to chiropractors and physio types, done rolling, graston, and a bit of laser with no seeming effect.

I've seen a local sports doctor who suggested a bursa sack swelling and we tried topical anti inflammatories to no effect.   Very recently this happened while I was walking a squat back after I'd previously tweaked my knee in the same workout (probably should have quit but rested 30 minutes and was feeling ok)   When it happened this time, given I had the weight on my shoulder I couldn't immediately drop the bar and I kept pressure on the sore knee for a few seconds while I crashed to the ground.   Post this event, I couldn't  get off the floor for 30+ minutes and was pretty sore for 2-3 hours afterward.

Post this occurrence, the knee dr hit me with a cortisone shot and for the next 3 days, my knee was very sore and the exact pain I couldn't ever trigger before other than in the gym was very ready to trigger with the slightest load - I triggered it bending over to pull out a plug.   It's two weeks after now and my knee feels slightly better but I'm certain I can't load it.

I have no clue what this is and haven't been able to find anyone with a similar issue.  If you managed this long read and have any ideas of what I'm dealing with, I'd love to hear them

Thanks for reading.

Pete

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Long term unresolved knee issue
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »
If you've not had an MRI scan, you really need to, to rule out ligament, meniscus and bone damage. And scale right back on the gym, especially weights, lunges and squats, to avoid doing any further damage until you know what's wrong. You don't seem to have any sort of confirmed diagnosis. I would avoid cortisone too until you do, use ice or heat if needed

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:16:26 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline knenitmare

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 05:13:20 PM »
Have your doctors ruled out any low back involvement? If you have a impinged nerve say at L4 L5 S1 the symptoms can run down your legs you would be surprised at how the symptoms manifest. I agree an MRI is good advice start with knee if you are confident this is the source of the problem. If this MRI shows a healthy knee I would consider consulting with someone re checking your low back maybe an MRI of back to rule it out.  I would also advise laying off weights. You could seriously injure yourself or someone nearby if you can't set the bar down safely. Good luck to you.

Offline petvan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I had an ultrasound done (properly this time) and they found a tear in the medial meniscus.   They can't tell how large the tear is but its definitely there.

The odd thing is from my reading meniscus tears usually result in residual pain and some swelling neither of which I usually have, but that said, symptoms or not the tear is there and I'll need to deal with it.

The tricky part is knowing how long to stay off it, how much physiotherapy is enough etc - ie, when can I get back into the gym!  I've been out now for 6 weeks and it looks like I'll be out another 8+. 

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 01:00:29 AM »
Sometimes you don't have the obvious symptoms. I found out that I had a torn meniscus when I woke up from surgery and the doctor told me in addition to the kneecap release and arthroscopic clean up, they had found the meniscus issue.

I hope the meniscus fix works out for you.