Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson osteotomy right knee recovery  (Read 963 times)

Offline lal005

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fulkerson osteotomy right knee recovery
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:08:36 AM »
I am 5 weeks post op right knee Fulkerson osteotomy,  still non Wright baring. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow and I'm hoping my Dr will allow me to start putting some weight on leg.  I have read so many different stories some people able to put weight on their leg after 4 weeks some people 12 weeks. Can Say One Tell My Why Such discrepancies? I had tibial osteotomy and have 3 screws in my leg. Can anyone else share their b recovery story? This recovery has been tough. Thanks

Offline KINICO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fulkerson osteotomy right knee recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 03:28:12 AM »
I had a tibial osteotomy in December 2014. I was non weight bearing for about 4 weeks, then went to 50%WB for about another 4 weeks, then slowly increased to full WB at 10 weeks. Now that I'm 6 months post op and swelling is down, you can see the screw heads just under my skin. If you're not already doing so, I'd suggest taking calcium, vit d and magnesium supplements.

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Fulkerson osteotomy right knee recovery
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:20:18 PM »
Hi,
I had a Fulkersons osteotomy (ttt) mpfl reconstruction and microfracture, I was none weight bearing for 4 weeks with a brace at 0 - 90 degrees, Then I was weight bearing with two crutches with no brace, then weight bearing with one crutch then none this took about 12 weeks to get to this stage.
Rehab was hard I'm not going to lie. I lost a lot of muscle in my leg making it very weak. I attended physio every weekly for 12 weeks then 2 weekly.
I have know idea why this varys so much, it must be consultants preference or something.
I still have nerve damage along the side of my scar causing numbness. I can not feel the screw heads underneath my skin but I get a strange sensation when I rub that part of my leg.
At 9 months post op I still struggle to be able to kneal and squat properly but fingers crossed this will continue to improve.
Hope this helps x
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty