Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with MCL surgery?  (Read 2884 times)

Offline lharrison

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone have experience with MCL surgery?
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:20:25 PM »
Hello everyone!

For the last four months (initial injury on February 4th), I have been dealing with an MCL injury and a bad bone bruise on my patella, femur, and tibia. I injured myself falling and then twisting and landing weirdly on a concrete floor. When I saw an orthopedic surgeon the next day, he diagnosed me with a degree 2/2+ MCL sprain and gave me a brace to wear. Since then, I have been seeing a physical therapist every day. I have been doing strengthening exercises, ultrasound, e-stim, and range of motion exercises, but the knee is still not better. I am still lacking about 20 degrees of extension when compared to my other knee and I am also lacking about 20 degrees of flexion. For a long time, the surgeon was unable to figure out why I was having such range of motion issues.

About 3 weeks ago I underwent a manipulation under anesthesia as  an attempt to get my extension back. They casted me in a plaster cast as straight as they could, but after they removed the cast my range of motion went back to what it was before and I lost more flexion as a result of being in a straight leg cast. While under anesthesia, the surgeon stressed all my ligaments and found that my MCL is still loose after four months. He said the MCL usually heals very predictably, and that mine is an extremely rare case, especially with how dedicated I have been to doing my physical therapy. I have been trying to read up on the surgery because that is what the surgeon thinks is the best step now since I am a college athlete. I haven't been able to find much though, I'm guessing because needing to have the MCL surgically fixed is pretty rare. If anyone has ever had this surgery done, I would really appreciate hearing your experience pre-operatively and post-operatively. Thank you so much in advance!