Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Injured Police Sergeant Waiting for MFX on Right Knee - What should I expect??  (Read 933 times)

Offline mricozzi104

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ok everyone glad I found this group, it has been a wealth of information so far.  So now I  figured I'd post my situation and see if anyone has any advice or wisdom. I'm a 38 y/o active father, former Military and current Police Sergeant.  I suffered a fracture to my right knee joint / fibula area when I was struck by a vehicle at work back in 2006, was on bed rest for 6 weeks (they didn't cast the area)? and had a slow return to work with therapy after about 6 weeks.  For the years since then I have had recurring joint pain, stiffness and slight swelling in the area on occasion, but it has been relatively fine and tolerable.

In January of 2015 during a nasty ice storm in the Northeast I was at a motor vehicle accident scene doing an investigation when I slipped and twisted the same knee from the previous incident.  As I was clearing from the scene and making my way back to my police vehicle, I slipped again , twisted that knee which then sort of buckled and I fell directly onto it on the frozen roadway.  Now being stubborn and extremely busy at work and having 2 other officers under my care who were also injured that day, I refused medical treatment at the time and returned to our HQ's.  While there I rested and iced my knee figuring it just took a bad hit and would be fine after some rest.

Now fast forward to May 2015 and I have had frequent occurrences over the last 4 months where my knee has given out and buckled on me, some slight swelling on occasion and have been seeing an OS since mid Feb.  I know why did I wait so long to get into see OS after my injury, well that is workers comp for you.  Anyway since Feb I have had an x-ray and MRI which showed lesion to the lateral femoral condyle and after 6 weeks of physical therapy and cortisone injections my OS is now recommending MFX for the right knee, and said there may be other defects as some areas did not look great on the MRI?

I am not too worried about the surgery as I have been in the OR many times before, basically my concern is what to expect post-op, I have a pretty demanding job being a police sergeant, but it can vary from doing paperwork for hours, to the very next minute being involved in a foot pursuit or climbing fences chasing a suspect.  I can have long day 8+ hours seated in a vehicle driving around town or a long day 8+ hours on my feet directing traffic with no break.

I know the rehab is going to take some serious time and a ton of effort and I'm ready for that.  A few questions regarding the rehab I have read all about CPM and cyro cuffs to help with rehab, now I know none of these things are necessary, but should I get my OS to prescribe them and workers comp to pay for these or are they geared more towards athletes?  Also has anyone had any good results with the daily use of a brace for the year or so post-op just to give a bit more strength and stability to the knee during that period of cartilage regeneration?  I have heard some good things about Townsend and Bledsoe braces, I of course need one that will fit under my uniform pants and I really can't stand the over the counter neoprene style which irritates and drives me nuts.  I was gonna look into having my OS prescribe a custom brace even if its only used on the long days on my feet just for some extra support.

Anyway any feedback would be great and thanks ahead of time for the support.
Jan 2006 - Struck by a motor vehicle fracture to right knee joint / fibula
May / June 2015? - Going in for MFX for Right Knee Lateral Femoral Condyle

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47

Please think twice about getting a microfracture....it has probably the worst success rate out of all the options if you are getting that done on a weight-bearing area.      Apparently, after 20 or 25 years of extensive use, they (orthopedists) still don't have an "optimal" way of performing that surgery.  They drill too shallow, with too few holes, leaving a damaged subchondral bone for you to deal with, along with the scar tissue that is not like the natural stuff at all.       If you want more detail on what I'm explaining, look up "microfracture vs nanofracture".         Then ask your doctor about it.       
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline mricozzi104

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Wow ok thank you so much for the advice def looking into this and gonna research other options with my doctor.
Jan 2006 - Struck by a motor vehicle fracture to right knee joint / fibula
May / June 2015? - Going in for MFX for Right Knee Lateral Femoral Condyle

Offline knenitmare

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Ok I am totally gna  spank you for not getting treated right away especially because you are a supervisor. I hope you would insist on your subordinates being examined after such a work related incident. It doesn't sound like that has been an issue for you so you are lucky. I injured my knee on the job 2 years ago and I am recovering from a 3rd surgery. As you can telll from this site knee injuries can be very complex.  I used a cpm post op after first 2 surgeries. I really liked the machine and thought it was great to get the knee moving. However. OS that did 3rd surgery was not a fan of cpm. Bottom line your os is really going to make the call. I am not familiar with your specific knee issue so I can't give you any advice re that.  I suggest doing your research on legit sites like Web MD or Mayo clinic....Good luck to you. Stay safe.