Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Green cord emerging from 10 month old wound! What is it?!  (Read 551 times)

Offline elisha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Green cord emerging from 10 month old wound! What is it?!
« on: May 12, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
History:
lateral release, arthroscopy and mpfl reconstruction using thigh tendon in August 2014. About a month after surgery, one incision became red and inflamed, this became infected and was given antibiotics. Never cleared up properly so had a wound debridement in December 2015. Stayed normal till about February until it became inflamed again. By the time I went back to see my surgeon in march it was okay and I was told that the red inflammation was just scar tissue. About 2 weeks later, side of knee where incision was swelled up, small area where pressure built up with pus underneath. Went to gp who prescribed antibiotics and was supposed to refer me (it never happened). 3 weeks later, could barely move knee due to amount of swelling, everyday it was oozing pus and blood and having to change dressing twice a day. GP gave me another lot of antibiotics and said it was a stitch abscess (even though I had a debridement back in decemeber), still couldn't get an appointment with my surgeon! Looking better and less infection now but last night while cleaning it out I noticed some green material. Its not a stitch and resembles a thick green cord coming out of the wound in my knee! Surgeon has finally listened to me and I'm seeing them on Friday. Any ideas what this is??
Im actually at the wits end with this knee, it has caused me nothing but problems, pain and infection and the thought of having to go under the knife again to sort this out is worrying!

Offline knenitmare

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Green cord emerging from 10 month old wound! What is it?!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
I am not a doctor but it seems clear to me that something was left behind in your knee during the surgery. An infection such as you are describing post surgery should have been addressed by your surgeon. Your body will work hard to push a foreign object to the surface. Depending on what it is it may not require surgery to remove. It sounds like you had a wicked infection perhaps due to this object. I hope your surgeon can clear this up.Sorry to say but it does not sound like you are getting quality care. If you have the ability perhaps you should consider new doctors. Good luck.

support