Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Does OA pain always mean there's inflammation?  (Read 4216 times)

Offline Dickie.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Does OA pain always mean there's inflammation?
« on: May 08, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
Hello,

The reason I ask is that as I understand it NSAIDs try to block inflammation inducing enzymes, and hence limit the amount of pain experienced? But I may be on this wrong on this?

The reason I ask is that I suffer from OA in my L.Knee but don't know if the pain is caused by inflammation or is just basically pain? But saying that I guess 'something' must be causing the pain and is that inflammation?

Mmmm I'm not sure if I've just answered my own question...?

Meds I've been prescribed:

Paracetamol
Naproxen
Algesal cream

Co-codomel (good pain relief in combination but don't like it cos it makes me constipated)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Does OA pain always mean there's inflammation?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
I believe pain in arthritis is due to swelling from inflammation and irritation or inflammation of the bone below thinning articular cartilage or where it is exposed with the cartilage cover gone (grade 4). You can have bone pain if there is exposed bone on opposite surfaces, kissing defects, especially if grade 4, bone on bone

However, one thing to note, not all people with arthritis have pain, while some people with mild changes can have quite a lot of pain. It's not linear or predictable
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Dickie.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Does OA pain always mean there's inflammation?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
Thankyou for that Vickster.

And the pain clinic doctor said the same as you mention below.

"However, one thing to note, not all people with arthritis have pain, while some people with mild changes can have quite a lot of pain. It's not linear or predictable."

PS:
     I will reply later on today or tomorrow, to your reply of in my previous post. I stayed up late watching a few of the election results come in and have been half asleep today.