Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Been diagnosed with early arthritis. Advices?  (Read 611 times)

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Been diagnosed with early arthritis. Advices?
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:34:50 PM »
I been diagnosed with early arthritis. Actually I am having a bit too much problems as a beginner but all the doctors diagnosing me somehow couldn't get it. Some days I have inflammtion full day, I am having hard time to go to sleep sometimes and some days I woke up with inflammation right on the top edge of my kneecaps. When I have too much inflammation I start to feel edema inside my knee joint, mainly on top edge of the kneecap. I was suspecting if it might be plica syndrome but I don't have apparent swellings around that area. I couldn't dare to ask it to my doctor as they tend to get this as an arrogant way of acting. They really can't stand patient questions. Anyway... What would you advice to me? He suggested me to do PRP injection but I know it is not a proven treatment method, I see it more like a money trap so I don't think I'll ever do it.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
Re: Been diagnosed with early arthritis. Advices?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:41 PM »
Hi Lanterne,

I was going to recommend PRP.  It is quite expensive but very helpful.   There are differences between PRP systems however.  I would stick with an Emcyte system.   I've had positive effects....it will stop inflammation in its tracks.  (I tried an Arthrex system and that one had barely a positive effect)

There are no surgeries to help with early onset arthritis and cortisone injections do more harm than good.      You are kind of left with activity modification, physical therapy & anti-inflammatories as conservative options.    Then PRP & stem cells as next level of intervention.   

2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Been diagnosed with early arthritis. Advices?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:29:07 PM »
Thx for the reply dal_knee. Actually I am able to get rid of chronic inflammation by activity modification as you said. I switched to walking from cycling and now I have much less inflammation. I didn't take any kind of NSAID's in the process. No ice, nothing. Only walking. It flares up somedays still but doesn't last more than one day.

support