Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella repair question/advice needed  (Read 573 times)

Feenman

Patella repair question/advice needed
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:12:27 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on my situation. I had my kneecap broken into 3 pieces in Jan '14 in a car accident. They did an ORIF next day and used 2 screws and a wire to keep bones in place plus stitched together some tissue they said had been torn (which is normal according to the surgeon?) from the bone breaking. I still currently have the hardware in my knee. I spent almost 8 weeks with no PT but was up moving with crutches. Had crutches for about 3 months and a cane for 1 month. Went thru PT from April-September. I can exercise normally putting weight on it including jumping. My issue is this: my knee is still a little swollen looking when my leg is extended. Also when I have my leg straight or bent, if I flex my quad muscle it feels like something is pulling in the kneecap and actually hurts a bit almost like it's restricting me from fully flexing the muscle. I was wondering if this was normal due to the nature of the incident or if it could potentially be because of the hardware being in the way. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!