Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Medial meniscus repair for posterior horn tear  (Read 7065 times)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Medial meniscus repair for posterior horn tear
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
Referred pain? Nerves are mysterious things!

Patience needed with the bone bruise, 6-12 month recovery not unusual,  you have to let it settle and avoid anything that causes impact especially if the one bruise is on a weight bearing area

Have you tried deep muscular massage from a physio, muscle tightness can also cause all sorts of pains
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline hessm70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 12:04:48 PM »
I am trying electro muscle stimulation and RICE.  I am also going to do some pool work as it is nice enough now to get a hour or so of that and see what happens.

Offline hessm70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 12:00:10 PM »
Update-  The pool workouts were helping my knee significantly then I pushed too hard.  I tried the stationary bike for 30 minutes then the elliptical for 15 min followed by pool work.  My knee has been sore and slightly swollen for the past two days.  I have been icing and using electro muscle stimulation but it has been raining outside limiting the poll work.

Offline hessm70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
Update-  Well the Midwest US weather has prohibited my use of our pool.  However, I am attempting to bike via my trusty old mountain bike (on road not in woods).  My knee still swells but I am trying to ice it and utilize NSAIDs.  Somewhat frustrated with the pain almost 5 months after surgery.  I question whether it will ever not have pain.

On a side note, I am going to try a copper infused knee compression sleeve to see if that does anything for me.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 01:53:19 PM »
Have you had an MRI to check the state of the meniscus. Unfortunately, once a meniscus has torn, the probability of retear is higher, especially as you get older
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline hessm70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »
Yes and was told I had a bone bruise on the medial side of the femur.  Curiously, the outside of my knee hurts  Facing the left knee, it hurts at the 2 o'clock position.  My doctor said, There is nothing to be hurting there."   I am contemplating a new opinion of the last MRI taken in June.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »
Has your physio done a thorough assessment of muscle balance, strength and flexibility. Can get all sorts of weird referred pains around the knee. MRIs won't pick up on such subtleties

Offline hessm70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
"Thorough" is a questionable term.  The last time I went in June the doctor basically said, I can't do anything more for you and the Physio said, "We aren't the only game in town so if you feel you need another opinion, get one."

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »
I'd get another opinion on that basis from a sports physio with lots of experience dealing with post-surgical knees. 

However, after any knee surgery, it is unlikely that you will ever have a fully fixed knee.  Depends whether what you have is usable in the ways in which you wish to use it - that is what you should be aiming for with the new physio.  Be clear with your goals and understand whether those are realistic and how to get there

Offline hessm70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 12:12:14 PM »
Update-  Almost one year from meniscus tear removal on my left knee,  my knee swells every time I exercise and I now have tingling down my leg to my foot.

I wanted to start exercising to get back in shape so I purchased a new elliptical and have spent 30min a day in attempt to getting back in some sort of shape but now I am faced with pain everyday.

The last MRI in June 2015 indicated a bone bruise but I was told that the knee structurally was in good shape.  I consulted a 2nd doctor in the area.  He stated the micro-fisuring on the bones meant that I had arthritis in the knee and should not perform any weight bearing exercises.  Other than that, it seemed as if he just wanted push me out of office.  I assume he knows the original doctor (very well known) and probably does not want to go against his diagnosis.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »
hessm70,

Very generally speaking, meniscus tears should not be removed.   This is an idiotic surgery and should always be used as a last step. 

I, too, have unresolved, recalcitrant bone marrow edema due to meniscus tear surgery.    The doc is absolutely correct in advising no high/medium impact whatsoever. 

If affordable, look into Dr Broyles or Dr Saw surgery to regenerate articular cartilage.   My understanding is that it overgrows in such a way as to fill in for the missing meniscus tissue.   This is not  a theory, but observed on MRI.   
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline hessm70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the advise! I am looking into it.

Offline hessm70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »
Update-  I went back to the original ortho doctor.  He took new x-rays and went back through my MRI from June 2015.  His conclusion was there is nothing structurally wrong with my knee and he cannot pinpoint why the knee hurts and swells after minimal exercise.  He did suggest going to a local sports medical doctor in the hopes that he could diagnose the issue.

My pain at the moment is in the upper outer edge of my patella (not where the medial meniscus is) then there is tingling down the front of my leg to my foot.

Offline sunn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »
good luck and please keep us posted on what happens.  I'm in similar position- knee swells like huge painful balloon on any weightbearing and also if I have to sit with knee bent - I am now at point of spending as much time as possible with knee elevated to try and keep swelling down.

Offline Sri

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »
Hi i have seem your posts and eager to know about what treatment your are taking and do you have any improvement i have a medial meniscus tear and i am taking PT classes and i want to know whether prp ansd stem cells work for meniscus re growth? And where you took ur treatment i am i USA can you please suggest any doc here near new jersey?