Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: When a surgeon trims meniscus, does he also check knee for other stuff?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline jimmy987

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I had my meniscus trimmed not long ago.  But my knee is still catching.

My question is this:  When a surgeon goes into trim a meniscus, will he also check all around the knee for other possible causes of the catching / pinching?

i.e. is it possible he trimmed a meniscus that didn't need it, but totally missed some scar tissue/ plica etc. that was the real cause?   Or is that impossible because it would be so obvious and plain to see during the scope?

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
A good surgeon should be thorough. Have you asked the surgeon why it's catching? Could be swelling, scar tissue, anything really. When was the op? Could take 6 months to feel back to where it was pre op. Are you still doing Physio?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline jimmy987

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
The op was just under 4 months ago.  It was with a very reputable surgeon.

Can swelling really cause catching?  Seems impossible to me - the catching feels like a pretty snappy structure i.e. something tough and fibrous.  I just dont understand how something like this could be missed on a meniscus scope.

Unfortunately I wont be able to speak to the surgeon until I see him in a couple of months.

Offline jimmy987

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
oh and yes I still do physio.  A few times a week.  All muscles are back to - if not stronger - than before surgery.

Offline UK86

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
I do keep reading people say that the knee is never the same once it has been operated on.   

I guess it is possible that swelling could be pushing some other tissue into the wrong place, creating a catching sensation.  Or it could be scar tissue that has formed after the surgery?   

It is unlikely that a good surgeon would miss anything obvious during the surgery...... I mean the whole point of a repair job is to have a look around and tidy up the areas that look to be problematic.   But at the end of the day if he did miss something you will never know for sure anyway.
Nov 2015 - HTO & Lateral Release