Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Heather's TTT (Elmslie-Trillot)  (Read 20536 times)

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Heather's TTT (Elmslie-Trillot)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 07:12:53 PM »
Niffer....I'll be watching for your posts after surgery.  :)  That's so great that your mom is coming to help. 

Georgie...thanks!  Glad my OS isn't the only one that wasn't forthcoming.  I'm sure the nurses at the hospital will fill me in on everything.  You had a spinal and nerve block?!?  We you awake during surgery?  I know some people don't handle being put under well and do this semi-conscious.  I couldn't imagine.

~ Heather ~

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
No I had a general as well luckily, the full works! Because I had the tibial Osteotomy as well as the TTT I needed the nerve block as well as the spinal, and then the anaesthetist asked if I wanted the general as well, which I said yes to!! Weirdly some old ladies getting their hips replaced on my ward were fine with just having the spinal and being awake whilst it happened!!
The anaesthetist did give me a good few options to choose from, so I'm sure you will be able to discuss your concerns (if you have any) with them once you get there.
2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 08:14:04 PM »
oh wow!!!  That's great that they gave you the works like that!!!  I can't even imagine the idea of being awake for a surgery like that!  That being said, I'd love for them to take a video of it for me to watch later.  I'm a ghoul with stuff like that.  :)

Offline niffer04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 11:03:56 PM »
I'm with you.  I would love to see my surgery.  When my son had his spinal fusion they took pics through out the surgery and gave them to me.  It was pretty cool.  I got to watch my c section and it was absolutely fascinating.  5 days to go.  My cpm machine will be here in the morning.  Can't believe it's almost here.  Busy weekend.  Son's prom on Saturday, pick mom up at airport on Sunday, which is an hour and a half each way and then Monday surgery.

Offline niffer04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »
Well I received my CPM machine/torture device.  Since I'm very short it's a tad uncomfortable under my thigh because it's raised.  It does seem like it will be a good place to put my leg in for elevation even if it's not moving.  I may just have to put a pillow under my thigh so the metall doesn't rub too badly.  My cats however think the machine is the greatest thing around.  It has a nice soft cushy covering so the cats think that it's a new bed for them.  Going to play with the CPM this weekend to find the best place/position in which to use it.  Monday is racing towards me with no sign of slowing down.  HELP!!! Lol.

Jennifer

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 08:07:08 PM »
I'll be thinking of you!!!  Are you getting nervous?  I'm booked only a week behind you.  Just confirmed the time of surgery with my OS office a few minutes ago actually. 

I guess I'm not getting a CPM or if I am, it'll be given to me after the surgery.  It's crazy....I don't even have a pre-op appointment at the hospital where they take blood, your blood pressure, etc.  Guess it goes with the free Canadian health care....they get you in and out as quickly as possible. 

That's hilarious about your cats!  You'll to get a picture of that!

Best of luck for Monday!  Make sure you update us once you're done!!!

~ Heather ~

Offline shawmere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 08:41:26 PM »
Jennifer,
Tomorrow's the big day! Best of luck, hope everything goes really well for you. Tell us all about it when you feel up to it. I'll be thinking about you.

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 11:54:34 PM »
Jennifer....thinking of you and tomorrow!!!!!  Let us know how you're doing!!!!!!

Heather

Offline niffer04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 02:36:55 AM »
Thanks.  Have to be there at 715.  I'll update as soon as I can.

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 08:34:52 PM »
Hi Heather, found your thread! Knew I'd read some posts of yours some where!

Is your surgery the 11th? Good luck, try not to be nervous, I was surprised how quick it's actually all over and done by! You will wonder what you were worried about! :-)

2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
Heather's TTT (Elmslie-Trillot)
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 08:46:13 PM »
Yep....5 more days.  My surgery is 9am on the 11th.  It's weird....now that it's less than a week away, my nerves are completely gone.  Last week I was a ball of nerves, now I'm just ready to have it done.  I'm SO looking forward to no more subluxations/dislocations.   ;D

Not only that, I've been so busy this week getting everything ready for next week.  Got dog's manicure done, shopping, got crutches/cane/walker (thanks Dad), and all the other last minute running around.  Hubby last night was making sure I had the appropriate clothing to wear with the brace...I think I'm all set.  Plus getting my office all set for my two weeks off work.  Fingers crossed that I won't need more than that!  I sit at a desk all day so hopefully I'll be okay to come back that quickly. 

Did I read correctly that you had a blood clot scare???  Yikes!  Is everything okay now?  How are you feeling??

~ Heather ~

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »
Five more days until my surgery.  The past few days have been crazy-busy with the last minute errands to make sure that I'm all set for next week.  Groceries, getting supplies, house cleaning, laundry, etc.

I just phoned the hospital because I needed to know if there's a place for me to lock up my purse during my surgery.  The nurse was asking me what procedure I'm having done and what time etc.  She said that it's good that it's early (9am) because there's a good chance I'll be able to go home that day.  Not sure if that's good or bad, but I'm sure going to find out.  I asked her if I'd be getting a nerve block and she said that yes, for sure I will and how I'm going to love that part because my leg will be numb for about 24 hours.  I'm ALL for that!   :D

It's odd....I've been waiting for this surgery officially since before Christmas and now that it's almost here....I can't even describe it.  I can't really say that I'm excited or happy to have this done, but I'm excited and happy for the outcome, no matter how long the recovery takes.  To never have to worry about stepping the wrong way and causing a subluxation that steals your breath and makes you want to throw up....it will be worth every second of recovery.  Been a very, very long time coming!

~ Heather ~

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:10:33 PM by boxerlover »

Offline shawmere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
Getting close! I am two weeks after you. I know what you mean about (sort of) looking forward to the surgery. I have been waiting for a date for a year. I will also be out patient. Very nervous about that. I was told I will NOT be getting a nerve block. Out of curiosity, where do you live? I find it interesting comparing  the differences in healthcare and such. I am in Ontario, Canada. I have provincial health insurance (OHIP), but no additional health insurance. So basically, my surgery is covered, but nothing else is: brace, cryo cuff, CPM, physio...) Add on to that the cost of putting my toddler in full time daycare until I can safely care for him, and this is getting very costly. And I still have the other knee to do! Maybe Niffer can weigh in on this too if she feels up to it?

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
Fellow Canadian here!!!  I'm in Toronto.  My surgery on Monday is being done by a pretty amazing surgeon....I was lucky to get him.  Dr. Brock out of North York General.

Yeah...I'm like you, nothing else is covered for me either.  Those braces are expensive!!!! 

How old is your little one?

Offline shawmere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 01:40:27 AM »
He's three :D The great part is he loves daycare and the lady running it loves him! Plus she is diagonally across the road from us, which is very convenient. We started with one half day a week and since I got my surgery date we've been slowly building up so it won't be a shock to him. My surgeon wanted me to use the Game ready system, but it would have been mucho expensive to rent. So instead I got a Cryocuff (with the pump) on eBay for about $100. I will be in an immobilizer, but at the first post op they switch you to another brace. So I also got a really nice, mint Breg post op brace on eBay for $50, rather than getting a bill from the OS for $200-300. Plus I can use both for the second knee too. I did decide to rent a CPM machine ( OS "recommended" it) for a week. I figured I might be afraid to try to bend my knee that first week, and the machine might give me a little confidence that my knee WILL bend, and I WON'T die  ;)

support