Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Heather's TTT (Elmslie-Trillot)  (Read 20535 times)

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Heather's TTT (Elmslie-Trillot)
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
It's T minus two weeks and three days until my TTT.  I've always had problems with my knees.  As a kid, I was very active.  I was in competitive swimming, baseball, you name it.  I could never manage to do the breast stroke properly and running around the bases took me so much longer than other girls on my team.  Thank you patella alta and maltracking in both knees.   ::)

So zoom ahead a few years to my first major dislocation.  I was just stretching....that was it - and my left knee dislocated.  My ex fiance at the time thought I was exaggerating until I had him take me to emergency and I came out in an immobilizer.  At that time, they didn't recommend an MRI or the like.  They figured it was a freak episode and that with rest, it would heal itself.  To some degree it did.  I didn't have another issue for a few years. 

Over the next decade, I had problems with subluxations and crunchy knees, but I felt it was manageable. 

That brings us to this year.  Back before Christmas, I was turning over in bed and placed too much pressure on the inside of my left knee and dislocated the sucker again badly.  My knee swelled up like a balloon!  Perfect timing too....I was to get on a plane to go see my folks' in Florida for the week before Christmas.  Before I left, I had a consult with my OS and an Elmslie-Trillot was booked - 5 months in the future.

So my May 11th surgery date approaches quickly and I'm trying not to get too nervous, but my OS isn't exactly a Chatty Cathy with the details.  Sure, I know what he's going to do during the surgery, but it's the post-op that I'm worried about.  He hasn't spoken with me about PT yet, nor about bracing and recovery time (other than to tell me it's long).  A hell of a lot of my confusion is my own fault though.  He works out of a teaching hospital and the last time I saw him (2wks ago), it was the intern that did my exam and when he came into the room, he was grilling the intern and asked if my surgery was booked, and he was out the door.  I was a bit shell-shocked and I should have called him back to ask some questions.

I've read a lot of the diaries on here, so I have a pretty good idea of what post-op is going to be like, and I'll make a point of getting my OS to stand still for five minutes before my surgery so I can talk with him about my post-op.

~ Heather ~

Offline shawmere

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: Heather's TTT (Elmslie-Trillot)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:02:38 AM »
Hi Heather,
I am also having a TTT, along with MPFL reconstruction next month, although not until the 26th. I've had at least 20 dislocations (both knees) ovrr 30 years. The last one happened when I left my toddler downstairs and brought something upstairs. It took me  20 minutes to pop that sucker back in place!  I've been waiting a year for surgery, and my wait is almost over. I've also gotten most of my info here: very, very helpful. All I've really gotten from my surgeon is that I will be in a brace and on crutches, and I will start physio 3 weeks post op. Mine will be day surgery and that really freaks me out! I'll look forward to hearing about your experience.

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »
Oooooh!!!  Twenty minutes to pop it back in?!?!?  Ouch!!!!   :-[  Mine is normally fairly easy to pop back in, but man, it hurts like a bugger, doesn't it?

Not sure if you're like me....partly excited to get the surgery done in the hopes of no more knee pain, but scared of the long recovery.

My surgeon also told me that I might be in for just day surgery.  He said that it depends on how well I tolerate the pain.  I'm hoping that they keep me for the night, just to see how I do.

My GP the other day joked with me about how surgeons aren't exactly the talkative type.  I had to go to her to get my medical history filled out for the hospital and she was asking me questions about the recovery etc.  I told her that my OS didn't really tell me much.  She assured me that the nurses at the hospital will walk me through what's going to happen and explain what the surgeon is prescribing in the way of physio.  Pheff!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes!  :)

~ H ~

Offline niffer04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »
Sounds like we're in the same boat.  I've had dislocations of both knees my whole life.  First surgery at 2 on both knees and again when I was 6 on my left.  Nothing really has worked.  At this point it's more about preventing a TKR.  On May 4 I'll have a HTO, lateral lengthening, and MPFL.  Passed on my wonky knees to my kids so I know what to expect as they've has these surgeries.  Bit worried about the pain.  Kids were in the hospital for a week with epidural for pain control.  My doc will only keep me one night and that is if I kick and scream and absolutely insist.  Which of course I will.  Have not used crutches in 30 years and now live in a 3 story townhouse.  Not sure how that is going to work. Doing left first so that I can drive sooner.  Would love to pick your brain and compare stories, thoughts, ideas about the surgery, both before and after and see what the similarities are and what the differences are.  Good Luck!  :D

Offline shawmere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 12:53:31 AM »
I AM actually kind of excited to get this done. All this time I thought nothing could be done, that this was just the way I was built. I am one of the few very, very lucky ones in that I actually don't have a lot of pain. For me this is more to prevent future damage and pain... and of course dislocations ;) Oh, to not worry that every step, turn, or movement will cause a dislocation: Bliss!

I am VERY worried about the pain. I know I will not be given a nerve block. My surgeon said he will fill the knee with freezing. That's great and all, but what happens when I 'm home (more than an hour away) and the freezing wears off?

Offline niffer04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
That will be nice.  Not to dislocate constantly.  In my case I've literally dislocated both knees from the time I started walking.  Been putting it off for years.  Always felt that my kids needed their knees fixed more than  mine.  Between the 2 of them they've had about 10 surgeries.  Now mom's turn.  Besides the pain I'm not looking forward to being stuck in the house.  As the mom of 2 busy teenage boys we have a lot going on.  Got Netflix, hulu, Dvr and some  books ready to go.  Not being able to drive will be the hardest.  I don't give up control easily.  I will have a block so I'm conflicted.  Do I come home while the block is active or stay in the hospital for additional pain control, but at the risk that the block will where off before I come home? Also do I risk stairs and crutches straight out of anaesthesia when I'm wobbly but less likely to have pain or do stairs when I'm more alert but in more pain.  Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Offline shawmere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »
Well, the way I'm thinking, your helpers can't help with the pain, but they can help you get up the stairs safely. You could always scoot up on your butt with someone holding your leg? What's your setup going to be once you're in the house? ( yours too Heather!) I'm not even considering trying to get upstairs any time soon, so I will be living on the main floor.

Offline niffer04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »
I have to go up one flight of stairs just to get into the house.  That will be 15 stairs from the garage to the main level.  On the main level I have kitchen, bathroom, and living area.  I have my couch with recliner which I'm hoping will be comfortable enough for the first few days.  Than it's another 15 stairs to get to my bed and shower.  I don't know if anyone has the answer to this but my doc is sending me home with a  CPM machine.  It's my understanding that the cpm has to be attached to a bed.  If that's the case then I will have no choice but to go up the second flight.  Does anyone know if this is true.  Just the thought of stairs exhausts me at this point.  If my bed wasn't so uncomfortable and old I would just camp out there but my couch is much better plus it makes the kitchen much closer.

Offline shawmere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:25:00 AM »
I don't think a CPM machine has to be attached to a bed. I'm sure I've seen pictures of people using one on a couch, or it can be used on the floor, if you can get yourself down there. I will be in the living room as well, although I found a place in my town that rents hospital beds. $150/month, and they deliver, set it up, and take it away when you're done. Gives me a little more room (and comfort) than the couch. Our tiny two piece main floor bath is so small I will be hanging a curtain because I will not be able to close the door with my leg out straight! Should be interesting.

Offline sunn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:41:23 AM »
I live in a house with many stairs and am about 7/8 weeks after my ttt surgery. the stairs weren't really a problem- you just learn to go up and down using only good leg. takes a little practice but you soon master it.

Offline niffer04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:00:11 PM »
That's good to know.  I'll probably be doing the butt scoot method, at least in the beginning.  I have some back issues that may make the stairs and crutches difficult to use, especially in the beginning.  My mom is coming to help but is disabled so she won't be able to offer any physical help.  Kids will be in school so it's all on me.  At least during the day.  Has anyone had a femoral block? If so how effective was it? How long did it last? Surgery is a week away.  Getting pretty nervous at this point.

Offline sunn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
I had the block and it meant I had to stay in overnight as they were not happy letting me move arround unassisted until I had more feeling back in leg as said I was more likely to hurt myself while block was in full force.   to be honest I was that doped up on meds first few days that didn't really notice pain that bad. it was a few days after it really kicked in-and they had sent me home with strong pain killers so had those to use when had to.  Only reason I think I had real trouble was I picked up an infection which made everything far worse as that developed. I think if I hadn't had infection it really wouldn't have been that bad as pain level was far more tolerable once was on antibiotics.

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 02:51:39 PM »
Two weeks today.....it's coming faster and faster.

I went to my folk's place on Friday for the night and let me tell you, I came home with a trunk full of stuff!  Walker, cane, vegetable chopper, food, you name it!  They live about 2hrs away from me and have asked me to go stay there after my surgery, but it's just too far from my OS if anything goes wrong and honestly, I want to be in the comfort of my own home.

I grossed out my mother.  I went to sit down and as I bent, she heard the loud crunching and grinding behind my knee caps.  Hahaha...I'm so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore.  She heard it from across the room.

After the surgery, I'm probably going to be confined to the upstairs part of my house for the first couple of days.  My DH will be staying home with me the first week to take care of me.  I'd love to hang out with him in the living room, but the only bathroom in our house is on the second floor.  Who knows though...I might not have any trouble navigating the stairs.

So glad DH is going to be home the first week with me!  Just taking the dog out for a pee would prove impossible for me I think.  I don't know how anyone would ever manage this alone.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:18:11 PM by boxerlover »

Offline niffer04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »
My surgery is one week from today.  I'll be a week ahead of you.  I'll be your guinea pig and let you know how everything goes.  My mom  will be flying in from California to help.  I don't know what I would have done without her.  It's going to be a crazy week getting everything ready for her and the surgery.  At least being busy will keep my mind off of things.

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
Hi there,

I have just (on the 24th) had my knee surgery done, which consisted of a TTT, MPFL reconstruction as well as a derotational Osteotomy. This has left me in a full leg plaster cast! I know how you feel about the lack of post op information - my surgeon was the same. I ended up emailing his secretary nearly every day asking new questions and wondering why he hadn't gone through all of this with me.
But now I'm 3 days post surgery and honestly, I can't believe I wasted so much time worrying!!!! I spent 2 days in hospital, which were as pleasant as being in hospital can be, and was discharged as soon as I'd seen the physio.
I live in a house with 2 flights of stairs with banisters on only one flight (great) but you just learn to get up and down them slowly. I know some people on here go down on their butts, which I would do but the plaster cast is just too heavy to hold in front of me. but that might be something you could try if you are in a brace?
Basically, try not to worry too much, I'm sure we end up making it worse than it is by over thinking it.
I would only recommend two things at this time - 1) keep on top of the pain meds!! Everyone says it but it makes it so much easier if you're not in agony!!
2) ask about pain meds as soon as you come out of surgery. I had a nerve block and spinal, so was unable to feel my legs in surgery. When I woke up, I could feel them so assumed the nerve block had already worn off, and with the pain being almost non existent, I didn't ask about pain meds. Then about an hour later I was in the worst pain I'd ever felt when the nerve block did actually wear off!!!
I'm sure once you come out of surgery you will feel better about it all, plus after surgery my surgeon did go through a lot of post op care, so maybe they just wait until after the surgery to tell patients?

Good luck!
2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy