Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help! Unknown cause of knee pain in football player  (Read 1034 times)

Offline lecl08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help! Unknown cause of knee pain in football player
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
Hello,

I'm a 25 yo female football (soccer) player, have been playing since 1999 and haven't had any injuries or knee pain before, but last november I was hurt and diagnosed with ACL partial tear, for which I was treated with ultrasound and laser and apparently recovered. The MRI then got back and said I had subluxation of the patella. While doing my muscle strengthning therapy pain continued, and when they re-evaluated me, I had weakened VMO and apparently MCL inflammation, but even though I continued going to my therapy, pain has never stopped.

I started playing again in mid january and kicking doesn't cause that much of a problem, nor does running, but dribbling and doing any fast movements or squatting is hurting really bad. I got re-checked and u/s revealed that my knee is apparently in perfect conditions, so the problem is mechanic. Now my other knee has been hurting.

They tried doing an osteopathic manipulation but my kneecap and tibia seem to be fused or something, even though I don't have restriction of movement. A wild guess is that is congenital cause it's the first patient they have that cannot be manipulated and I'm not even 5 feet tall so it should be easier.

One detail about the healthy knee is that the patella seems to not be central and they're starting to talk about chondromalacia, but there's no inflammation.

Note: I'm from a little country so I don't have a lot of knee doctors to go to, but I'm looking for a good one to have another opinion cause these physical therapists don't have a clue on what's going on now. I'll attach some pictures of the MRI that said patellar subluxation (but there wasn't one, since my tendons were not damaged).

Offline lecl08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Help! Unknown cause of knee pain in football player
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »

The injured knee is the left one, btw.

Offline lecl08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »

Continuing with the attachments...

Offline lecl08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:53:38 PM »
MRI and relaxed knee positioning.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 411
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »
You would be best off posting the findings from the MRI report, rather than the images.  You need a trained and skilled radiologist to interpret MRI images, and they wouldn't be able to make a diagnosis over the internet.  Everyone on here is a patient with knee issues, very few with medical training.

MRI doesn't show how bones track, better an X Ray or CT scan, these are better for bones.

Chondromalacia isn't really an inflammatory condition, it's a symptom (softening of the cartilage on the bones) which could be caused by the bones rubbing against other the bony structures

You need to work with an expert physiotherapist to strengthen the muscles in a very specific way appropriate to your condition, to help the patella track correctly

There's a really good patella primer in the information hub which might help answer some of your questions

Hope you get some answers :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support