Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Shaving of the Patella  (Read 1435 times)

Offline katied

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Together we'll get there!
Shaving of the Patella
« on: February 14, 2004, 03:51:35 PM »
Hi,  ???

I had a LR done 8 yrs ago along with an "arthroscopy investigation" and have now been told that "Shaving of the Patella"surgery could help me.

I am 32 yrs old and my right knee doesn't tract very well (goes off to the side, something that I have been born with).  But for the last 10 years I have struggled going up and down the stairs which is very painful, driving is painful and any activity that involves only the slightest bend of the knee.  I have had loads of physio over the years and my physiotherapist had told me that there is nothing else that they can do.  My surgeon doesn't seem to think that there is an operation out there for me! my MRI scans now shows wear and tear to the knee and my bone is swollen. What to I do! I have been told about the "shaving of the patella" operation. Does anyone know anything about this operation? I don't know if it will work for me? I would love to hear any thoughts and experiences.

Thanks, look forward to hearing from anyone!
Katie

Offline kopbird

• Regular Poster
  • One day at time is the best way....
Re: Shaving of the Patella
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 04:14:12 PM »
Hi Katie

I had a Lateral Release and shaving of the patella done november 03. I have the same problems with the tracking of the kneecap. I must say that neither of the procedures undertaken have helped.

I have had a couple of cortizone injections to try and alivate some of the pain that I am still suffering but they don't seem to work either.

My OS is now considering more drastic surgery.
LR Nov 03 - Right Knee
Right Knee -May 04, Infection, numerous cleanouts Jun, Jul & Aug 04
LR Jan 05 - Left Knee 02/05 Blood Clot Removal & MUA. 03/05 Aspiration. 04/05  VMO advancement, Open LR, Plica removal. 09/05 Fulkerson

Offline katied

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Together we'll get there!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 06:10:58 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm sorry to hear that your LR and shaving of the Patella operations haven't worked for you.  :'(

I hope you don't mind me asking but was there or is there still alot of physio to do after the operation and how long was the recovery time for you?  Do you have to wear a knee brace? My OS doesn't recommend any drastic surgery for me e.g knee replacement as he has told me that research shows there's negative impact upon pain, so the shaving operation may be my only hope.

Katie

Offline kopbird

• Regular Poster
  • One day at time is the best way....
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 08:03:05 PM »
Hi Katie

I am still taking trips to the the physio (or should I say torture chamber) on a weekly basis. For the 1st 6 weeks i was in physio 3 times a week.

I went back to work last monday 9/2 after 13 weeks off. I went back for 4 days and visited my OS on Friday only to be signed off again.

I do wear a knee brace as recommended by my physio, its made by Vulkan.

I have also purcahsed a Neuro trac sports stim machine which i plug myself into everyday for 20mins.

Its nice to know that i'm not the only person suffering... :'( And it does help to talk to somebody else with the same problems.
LR Nov 03 - Right Knee
Right Knee -May 04, Infection, numerous cleanouts Jun, Jul & Aug 04
LR Jan 05 - Left Knee 02/05 Blood Clot Removal & MUA. 03/05 Aspiration. 04/05  VMO advancement, Open LR, Plica removal. 09/05 Fulkerson

support