Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 8 months Post OATs Surgery Question  (Read 1049 times)

Offline klr229

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
8 months Post OATs Surgery Question
« on: April 21, 2015, 11:46:34 PM »
I'm a division 1 soccer player in my 3rd year. In May 2014, I had microfracture surgery to correct an osteochondral defect in my lateral femoral condyle. It was a relatively small lesion so my surgeon thought it would take... 4 months later found it didn't. Then, in September 2014 I had an OATs procedure. Started running lightly in January - so about 5 months post OATs. Started playing non-contact soccer again in March. Full contact about a month later. Now I'm a week away from being 8 months post OATs and I have a sharp stabbing pain when I play coupled with a constant dull aching in the same area as my surgery that I hadn't had since before the procedure. I got an xray today and see the doc tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it might be? My AT had said it could be that the OATs didn't work, that i tore my meniscus, or that there's scar tissue/plica in there causing problems, but I'm not sure if i should be concerned yet.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:57:27 PM by klr229 »

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
Re: 8 months Post OATs Surgery Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »
Not an OATS expert but have done some reading on it.  From what I recall, return to activity doesn't start until the one year mark. I'm surprised the doc ok'd soccer so early in your recovery.   

Keep reading up on OATS and become more educated than the physicians treating you. It's the only way you are going to get help. Do you know that micro fracture is only successful 1/3 of the time ?  Are you aware that there are studies that show that some physicians micro fracture technique results in a damaged , abnormal subchondral surface?  Sorry to be sounding the alarm and coming off a bit negative but I'm trying to help and encouraging you to tread very carefully with any surgery that attempts to restore cartilage.
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.