Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Trashed and getting surgery  (Read 991 times)

Offline ouki

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • having a blast
    • My knee
Trashed and getting surgery
« on: February 14, 2004, 11:44:12 AM »
Greetings all..
Back on Novermber 8th I fell out of mu P/u bed and totally messed up my knee.. It was 12-days before I could stand up without it feeling like I was pouring acid down my leg... It is something I will never forget.. I had nightmares for weeks after the fall where I would wakeup screaming in pain and re-living the injury... Now it is 3-months later and they can now operate on my knee.. The swelling is down to just minor swelling...  (was the size of a grapefruit)  
I am both looking forward to the surgery and scared of it. It is nice to finally get my pain down to a level 1-3 when it does hurt.. Mostly it is a lot of discomfort, since it is a bit awkward to walk down stairs and feels like my left knee aways wants to buckle... So you constantly walk around like you are on ice...
They took an MRI about 2-weeks after I injured my knee, and because of all the soft tissue damage, they are not real sure what they are going to find on Monday. They are planning on a repairing the ACL with a cadaver tendon, and also possibly the PCL as well..  They also believe that there is significant damage to the cartlidge.. My MCL they believe healed on it's own...  They are operating on me at 8:am so I have to be at the hospital at 7am for check in..     They are giving me the first appointment because of the severity of the injury and the time it will take to repair it.. They say it should be on my way back home within about 6-hours .... When I get operated on they are going to do nerve blocks to my leg, so it will be like dragging around a tree stump for about 12-hours.. Got lots of pain meds for the period after that.. BUT I will be in PT at 9:30am the day after surgery.. Egads, I am NOT looking forward to that.

Well...  Thought I would share my knee experience with those that would appreciate what it is all about...  I have 3-pictures of my knee and my p/u I fell out of at http://www.lemoi.com/knee for those that need to see a slightly purple leg... Otherwise, see you after surgery..

Cheers..
Ouki
11/8/03 dislocate knee, kneecap, tore quad mus, tore ACL/MCL damaged miniscus.
2/16/04 rpl ACL w/cadavor tendon fix and clean up the rest.
See my knee journal, http://www.lemoi.com/knee

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: Trashed and getting surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 08:03:22 PM »
Ouki,

Welcome to the board! :)  I'm sure you would just as soon not need to be here, though--like the rest of us.

I followed your link and looked at that purple leg of yours. Wow! It sure is amazing how much damage we can do with one little misstep, isn't it? I was just walking across a floor--well TRYING to walk across a floor, I guess. Were you trying to get out of the pick-up when you fell over the side? It sure would have been better if your foot hadn't gotten caught. Were you by yourself when it happened? If so, how in the world did you get help?

You've spent months already trying to heal, and now Monday will be a sort of new beginning in that process. Good luck with the surgery, and be sure to keep checking in with us to let us know how you are doing.

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 08:18:05 PM »
Oh, I re-read your journal, and I see that you were on the running board trying to step up INTO the truck when you fell. Ouch! Looks like the running board kind of gave way under you or maybe you slipped off of it?

LizL
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct

Offline ouki

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • having a blast
    • My knee
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 10:12:06 PM »
Hi LizL,
--/-
Welcome to the board!   I'm sure you would just as soon not need to be here, though--like the rest of us.
--/-

Thanks.. But yes, I wish I never banged up my knee, it has changed a few things around in my life.. Found this board during the night, couldn't sleep..Was just thinking about Monday.. I guess it'll be that way till monday..

--/-
Wow! It sure is amazing how much damage we can do with one little misstep, isn't it? I was just walking across a floor--well TRYING to walk across a floor, I guess. Were you trying to get out of the pick-up when you fell over the side? It sure would have been better if your foot hadn't gotten caught. Were you by yourself when it happened? If so, how in the world did you get help?
--/-

Good and bad in this... The reason I slipped off of the sidestep to the pickup was it was wet, and I was climbing into the back of the P/u to help get my neighbors boat onto the trailer...   The bad part is, I did NOT want to go fishing that day, it was too windy, and I had a bad feeling all week about it..  The good thing was that my neighbor had a nephew with him that is a big kinda kid, and he was able to help get me out of the water and into the drivers seat of the pickup...   I drove 120miles back home, dropped off the boat trailer and then drove myself to the hospital... I never got out of the drivers seat during this time...   But I did not want to go to the hospital so far away from home.. Needed to get somewhere I was comfortable.
I am sorry about your fall, and yes it does not take much, in just a split second, things change mighty fast..

--/-
You've spent months already trying to heal, and now Monday will be a sort of new beginning in that process. Good luck with the surgery, and be sure to keep checking in with us to let us know how you are doing.
--/-

Yes I will, I'll have nothing else to do, and I like this board so far.. I post a lot on one very similar in style to this, but that one is more about computers and utilities for email..  That one is called "computercops.org" it is cool if you are into it...    When you cannot do much other than sit and lay down, there is not much else to do...

Good luck on getting better yourself and watch them floors...

Ouki
11/8/03 dislocate knee, kneecap, tore quad mus, tore ACL/MCL damaged miniscus.
2/16/04 rpl ACL w/cadavor tendon fix and clean up the rest.
See my knee journal, http://www.lemoi.com/knee

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 01:37:23 AM »
Well, that's what I call one dirty, rotten, stinking fishing trip!

Many of us found this board in the middle of the night. I just checked my profile, and the very first time I posted was 1 a.m. on Valentine's Day last year! That would have been a couple of weeks following my injury and surgery.

LizL
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct