Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post op hot and hardware removal  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Post op hot and hardware removal
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:24:46 AM »
It's now been 23 months since my HTO and 7 weeks hardware removal .... I was hoping to be writing a post about my fab recovery now , but unfortunately I'm not .. Whilst in waiting room today it was nice to meet others that the osteotomys not worked for , makes me feel better not just me , had X-rays done screw holes healing nicely ,but microfracture not worked as now down to grade 4 defect , least that explains the increased pain and constant giving way of the knee, but I've got to try and put a positive note on it all , I still live to see another day , seems the plan forward from now is management , physi to strengthen muscles , referred to a pain clinic to see if any other mix will ease pain a bit.more and lifestyle changes , reducing work hours and lightest duties possible . I have my new friends now my mobility scooters , least now I can get out a bit more as a family even if not walking ... And maybe one day a miracle cure ...or the time is here for a knee replacement , I know there are lots out there this procedure has worked for , I would still do it all again as a little hope is better then none ... Good luck everyone ..😃

Offline UK86

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Post op hot and hardware removal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »
It's now been 23 months since my HTO and 7 weeks hardware removal .... I was hoping to be writing a post about my fab recovery now , but unfortunately I'm not .. Whilst in waiting room today it was nice to meet others that the osteotomys not worked for , makes me feel better not just me , had X-rays done screw holes healing nicely ,but microfracture not worked as now down to grade 4 defect , least that explains the increased pain and constant giving way of the knee, but I've got to try and put a positive note on it all , I still live to see another day , seems the plan forward from now is management , physi to strengthen muscles , referred to a pain clinic to see if any other mix will ease pain a bit.more and lifestyle changes , reducing work hours and lightest duties possible . I have my new friends now my mobility scooters , least now I can get out a bit more as a family even if not walking ... And maybe one day a miracle cure ...or the time is here for a knee replacement , I know there are lots out there this procedure has worked for , I would still do it all again as a little hope is better then none ... Good luck everyone ..😃
Are things any better for you now the hardware has been out even longer?    I take it you wouldn't recommend an osteotomy in general based on your experience?

I'm on the waiting list for a DFO.  I know it is big surgery and I have done research.... but up until today I hadn't realised there was any risk of bones not healing or even having to have second surgery to have hardware removed.    :o

Nov 2015 - HTO & Lateral Release

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Post op hot and hardware removal
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
Have you read Adrian Wilson's Hampshire knee website? Has good information about femoral osteotomy :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

support