Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Georgie's MPFL Reconstruction, TTO and Tibial Derotational Osteotomy  (Read 17977 times)

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: Georgie's MPFL, TTT and derotational osteotomy
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 01:07:37 PM »
I am now 24 days post op, and just got back from my first physio appointment. It went well, had a bit of bad news as to the length of my recovery - surgeon told me 3 months tops (which I thought was a bit optimistic at the time) but my physio has told me long term 9-12 months before I can comfortable horse ride again. This is pretty gutting but on the plus side she said I should be doing simpler things such as walking and squatting, cycling and cross trainer within the next 6-8 weeks, which is good.

Nice to at least feel like your heading in the right direction - I've done nothing for 24 days so my exercises are simply rotating my ankle from side to side and up and down, try to tense my quads (which was a humongous failure as they have wasted away!) and just to start massaging the scars to break up scar tissue.

Next week will learn a deep tissue massage and hopefully work on more movement in my knee.

Have gone back to regularly taking pain killers, but bruises a have nearly gone and the blood has stopped rushing straight down whenever I stand up. So things are looking up :-)
2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
Re: Georgie's MPFL Reconstruction, TTO and Tibial Derotational Osteotomy
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
Been doing my physio for a few days now, seen a huge difference in my ankle movement already. I am moving my ankle up, down and side to side with virtually no pain at all, which is a bit weird when you think the bone just above my ankle has been completely sawn through!

Bending my knee is a lot more unpredictable. I seem to have good hours where the knee feels nice and mobile (in a good way!) and then it can just be so stiff and I have to pretty much bend it using my hands. Still have hardly any quad or calf muscles but hoping that will change in the next few weeks.

Weirdest feeling is at the front of my knee where the patella tendon connects to the tibia - feels like a massive bubble under my skin that will pop if I bend my knee too far. Guessing this is just the TTO but its a pretty unpleasant feeling.
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
hey georgie its nice to hear you have more movement =)you will find once your physio starts working the quad vmo more then you find it a lot better , deep tissue massages are key aspects in the knee recovery to stop build up of scar tissue and to soften the knee and it can help with the rehabilitation ..........
keep us posted georgie glad to hear your doing well..........  ;D

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 12:33:35 PM »
Thanks Lucha, feels good to actually be able to see an improvement now :-)

I have been off pain meds during the day for a while now, just taking the occasional paracetamol, but for the last week or so I haven't been able to sleep well at all. The inside of my knee hurts so much at night time, more than it's ever hurt since surgery! I seem to have no problems at all during the day, just as night time when I'm trying to sleep. Really starting to get me down and no amount of pain killers before bed seem to help.

I don't think I'm over doing the physio because a) it's just simple exercises and b) it doesn't hurt at all during the day or when I'm doing the physio. It's a real sharp pain that wakes me up.

I've tried sleeping in different positions, but doesn't seem to help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »
Georgie I can only comment in an mpfl procedure but not the others you have had sharp pains jumping ones I got told was the nerves healing with the sleep on an mpfl I found my knee in between a pillow for the first few weeks was best i tended to take abit more medication before I went to bed to have a good night sleep
But you have had a lot more surgery it takes a few sleeps to work out what is comfortable I also iced my knee before bed to try to stop the swelling or basically to freeze the knee and have no pain or to elevate it I hope you get a good sleep if not ask the physio for some ideas :))

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
Lucha, I spoke to the physio, she said it's probably the mpfl healing over night and sleeping on my side is slightly twisting the muscles which cause the sharp pain. So have invested in a big pillow and have been taking a 'reserve' of pain meds from early evening onwards, and it seems to be working okay, touch wood!!

I was 5 weeks post op yesterday, and can honestly say it's now no where near as bad as I thought it would be. I don't want to jinx anything! But the pain from the derotation Osteotomy is minimal - sometimes doesn't even feel like anything happened there. The TTO site is only sore now I've been trying to massage the scar tissue. The mpfl has and still is my biggest issue - the incision on the inside of my knee is not healing too well and is causing the majority of the pain, but I guess they have given me a brand new ligament and drilled into the side of my knee, so not surprised there although it would be lovely if it had improved as much as my other procedures!

Physio wise in doing well. At my first session I had to manually bend my leg and could just about manage 40 degrees. Second session was on the 27th and I was bending my knee without using my hands to easily over 80 degrees. As I am not in any locked brace I have been told to not push too much more as not supposed to go over 90 degrees until my leg is xrayed on the 10th June to check the bones have knitted back together. So I am happy with physio for now. Hardest part again is the mpfl restricting my movement.

So all in all I'm 5 weeks post op, hardly need painkillers to manage day time pain, just taking them to sleep easier. My leg still gets very swollen around my ankle and knee, sometimes goes a bit purple. Also have numbish toes but have been instructed to do a deep tissue massage every night which should increase blood flow and sort both of those problems out.

Can't really complain, just bored and want to be off the crutches, although I can't see that happening for a while yet as I am still touch weight bearing until the 10th. I think I have been very lucky in my recovery so far, touch wood!!!!!!!!

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »
every time i write on here how I have improved I seem to get worse. After the initial plaster cast I haven't had any support or brace, which is lovely after having such a big cast, but is also a bit annoying in that it makes it a lot easier to push myself too far.

I am back on regular pain killers as I've had some days where the pain has been very bad and others where it hasn't been bad at all, so just trying to keep a routine of a few pain killers a day. Just sticking with naproxen and omeprazole twice daily.

I am easily hitting 90 degrees with the knee bend now, but have been given physio to stand up and try and bend my knee backwards, using gravity as a resistance. I can barely lift my leg off the ground. Its very frustrating when you think you're doing well and then have a set back, however I know a lot of people on here have had worse recoveries so am just trying to focus on the improvements. Still having a lot of sharp pain in the knee and around my ankle, but just keep remembering I have had my bone cut in two places and 8 screws in my leg. So its bound to ache for a while.

I am 6 weeks post op on friday - still not weight bearing, just allowed to use my toes on the ground for balance. I am looking forward to at least being partial weight bearing as it will make it easier to get around.

I will need my right leg done in the next year or so, with potentially a femoral derotation too. For that reason I am intending on writing in this diary every few days/weeks as my recovery goes on, I'm sure it will be useful when it comes round to my right leg and I will have forgotten how boring and slow the recovery is!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 11:02:31 PM »
hey georgie remember we have our good days and bad days and sometimes when you look back at your diary its rather amusing to see how much you have come through........
remember everyones recovery is different and go at the pace that is correct for you remember by writing a diary you are helping others understand what to expect who are having the surgery........
sometimes i suppose we give in to painkiller and sometimes when you have big surgeries like you have sometimes it can help....... but your doing great...........=)
keep us posted georgie, hope your not getting bored of jeremy kyle lol ...............

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 11:17:31 PM »
I saw my OS today for my 6 week check up/x-Ray, and it went well. The last week of so my ankle and shin have been so swollen and sore, to the point that I was getting quite worried. I could wrap my hand around my lower leg and it would leave a hand print dent in my skin for at least 10 minutes, and the pain was very bad. So saw the surgeon today and mentioned it to him. I was relieved to hear that it's all normal and just where I have started to actually use my leg and ankle more in physio and every day actions that it's swollen etc. the sharp pain in my ankle was where they had to move some tendons aside to put the plate in at the derotation site (gross) but at least that explains it all. Feeling a lot more confident.
The x Ray showed that whilst my TTO has healed nicely, there is only minimal bone growth around the derotation osteotomy, which means I can't fully weight bear yet. However my quads are still so non-existent that I couldn't fully weight bear even if I wanted to. But a bit of a bum to hear it hasn't healed as fast as they would like - I have been signed off work for another 8 weeks!!!!!
Have started some online courses just to keep my brain going in my break for uni, and they are keeping me occupied nicely so would recommend one to anyone who's getting bored sat at home unable to go out!
I did go for a trip out with my family today but find after an hour of solid walking/shopping on crutches my arms had just given up and my leg was very sore. So will try to build up to longer walks now.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 09:51:44 PM »
your doing well georgie just remember do what you can do and know when to stop and remember you have had a rather complex amount os surgeries so feel proud of what you have achieved, my leg did the same after mpfl a physio pressed her hand into my leg and the skin didnt pull back...... well i suppose at least you have online courses to keep you entertained rather than jeremy kyle keep us posted i go in for surgery on july 30th to get my knee sorted again lol so if i dont reply it will be a while =)

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 11:15:33 PM »
What are you having done to your knee this time Lucha? Thanks for your support and I know I've been very fortunate with my recovery when I speak to people like you who are still having difficulties! I hope your knee is fixed for good this time!!!
As for Jeremy Kyle I can only watch the first 5 mins!!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 07:15:43 AM »
My mpfl is going to be redone again with an artifical ligament quadriceps tightening clean out of knee and if my kneecap breaks during the surgery he will need to stitch that back together not much really lol I know Jeremy  kyle just gets rather ridiculous 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:21:22 AM by lucha86 »

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
Yesterday I was officially 2 months post op! I am 9 weeks post op tomorrow, and (touch wood because I seem to jinx it every time I write on here) I'm feeling really good! Really starting to see the end of my recovery in sight now. I am not due back at work until August 10th and am still on both crutches but I am half weight bearing and will be going full weight bearing on July 3rd. Am bending my knee to 110 degrees and able to 'walk' with my crutches whereas before I was sort of hobbling along.
Hardly using pain killers now - only issue is that I am having some irritation with the hardware. Not pain but can feel the plate and screws under my skin which is irritating when I wear boots or tight socks around my ankle. Not sure how it will feel when I ride a horse again and have to wear might tighter shoes, but will sort that out when it happens.
Am getting v bored now and actually looking forward to going back to work! My physio has stepped up - I am allowed on the static bike on the lowest resistance for 1 min at a time - hardly seems worth it! But have started physio with resistance bands and hopefully will start the harder stuff once I'm fully weight bearing. I am feeling positive and already looking forward to going back under the knife to get this plate removed from my leg!!!

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »
I am nearly 15 weeks post op now and am in a bit of an annoying situation. Whilst my leg now feels we'll nough to walk without crutches, I am still on the crutches due to my inability to straight leg raise - I am lagging by about 2 degrees apparently. Frustrating but seeing physio tomorrow so fingers crossed I will officially be off crutches then.

However, my leg doesn't feel stable when it's bent with any weight on. I've realised I'm walking with my knee locked and not bending it, when I try and bend it with weight on I get intense pain across my patella tendon and my know knee aches, as well as my leg feeling generally unstable.

Annoying because my physio doesn't seem to be doing much except telling me to cut down on my exercises one week and then giving me different exercises the next..... Also can't bend my leg very far back without my knee feeling like it's going to snap.

It's frustrating because on one hand i can't wait to get rid of the crutches and on the other I desperately want to see any sign of improvement before I get rid of them.

Would love to hear some positive feedback from anyone who's had a similar experience. Have to bear in mind that it's technically still early days for such a big operation - but I'm ready to go back to work and just get on with my life, and it's difficult when I can't even walk up stairs.

Trying to stay positive but getting really fed up with the lack of improvement and the pain I have when doing my physio. Have gone right back to simple tensing my quads and sliding my foot up and down to bend my knee. Feels like I should be doing a lot more 15 weeks in!!

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
Hey Georgie

Have you tried Hydrotherapy? It's much easier to move in the water and I asked if I could go swimming when I was at a certain stage of my recovery and it was encouraged. Unfortunately the Physio that I was seeing after my operation didn't offer this but it can be useful to go to a pool and try and bend your knees and do simple exercises and see how you get on?

Emma