Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Georgie's MPFL Reconstruction, TTO and Tibial Derotational Osteotomy  (Read 16181 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: Georgie's MPFL, TTT and derotational osteotomy
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
great news you havent got a blood clot =) you can tell the difference from the photos just remember go at your own pace and remember that everyones recovery is different keep us posted georgie =)

Offline georgie2893

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
thanks Lucha :-)

I am two weeks post op tomorrow, can't believe how quick its gone. Since my fiasco with the possible blood clot, I have been in a different sort of cast which is only plaster at the back and ankle, and just padding and wrap around the rest of my leg. Whilst this is less supportive than the full plaster, it is nice not to have to lug all the weight of a heavy plaster cast around on my bad leg.

I should have got a letter in the post for my two week consultation, which I haven't received yet, so will be ringing up my surgeons secretary tomorrow if it has not arrived. I am slightly worried for the consult. because so far I've not been able to do anything due to the cast so its been pretty easy! Im sure once the physio starts, the real hard work begins.

Pain wise I am taking the occasional 30 codeine tablet, and 500 naproxen twice daily, which is easily managing the pain. Again, i'm sure once I start physio and actually stretching and moving my leg, it will become more painful. But so far so good :-)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »
hey georgie dont worry about your consult, remember everyone has different paces of recovery, and remember to write down any questions that you need your surgeon to answer because sometimes you can forget last minute lol..... sometimes i feel sorry for the surgeons secretaries as they get a lot of problems and have to deal with the patients lol so im always nice to my surgeons one i send her a few thank you gifts for helping me now and again... i think it is a good suggestion you ring the secretary just to confirm when it is..... with physio you will start gaining your independence back bit by bit, but im sure you will be fine and it gets you out of the house and away from jeremey kyle lol

Offline OSVictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »
How much of a derotation did you have done (number of degrees)? Mine was a 20 degree derotation. Be glad you didn't have the fibula cut. Far more painful when it came to weight bearing and trying to walk once cleared, and obviously, it needed to be revisited and plated. Anyone who claims that the fibula is a non weight bearing bone and only supports 15% of the body weight has never had theirs cut just above the ankle.
My tibial osteotomy was just above the ankle too.
Your leg looks much better than mine did, I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the post operative silver lined bandage after the tibial osteotomy which resulted in some nasty and painful blistering which really made the area ugly. My fibula plate incision which is still healing (5 weeks today) looks better than my tibial plate incision scar (which is 6 months old). Hoping that the tibial scar heals nicer after the hardware removal.
Can't speak to being able to move the ankle immediately after surgery, as I had the fibula issue which has been a setback. But I do believe that being able to work on range of motion with regards to my knee has been helpful.
Aug 2012: Rt Knee Arthroscopy/debridement, Lateral release
TTT/open Fulkerson tibial osteotomy
Aug 2013: Hardware removal (TTT)
Nov 2014: LPFLr, MPFLr, Distal Tibial  Osteotomy/derotation, Gastrocnemius lengthening, Rt Leg
Apr 2015: fibula (Rt leg) plating, iliac crest bone graft

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
Lucha - too true about Jeremy Kyle, don't think I can even watch the opening credits now! Good idea about writing down questions - I meant to do that at my first consultation and forgot, then forgot all my questions!!!

OSVictim - I feel like my surgery has been a walk in the park compared to yours. I'm sorry you've had such an awful time! So your incision site it about the same as mine? My surgeon said it was called a supramalleolar Osteotomy, because it's turning the foot rather than when people have the bone cut just below the knee and the tibia itself is turned. Is that what you had? My initial rotation was 47 degrees and my surgeon said he would rotate by 25, so similar again to yours. It sounds like everything is a lot more throrough in the US, whereas in the UK it doesn't sound like the NHS is as informative. For example, I have only actually met my surgeon twice, one original consultation and second the day of my surgery (I woke up to him perched on the radiator in my room - creepy) so this two week consultation will probably be my chance to get all the exact details.
great to know someone else has had this derotation at the same site, I searched this site and couldn't find anyone who had it so close to the ankle. I have heard from a lot of people that once the hardware is removed, everything tends to feel/heal a lot better, so fingers crossed for you.
2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline OSVictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »
Yes, my tibial torsion ratio pre surgery was 41 on my right leg, but my left leg is 22, which is perfect. I'm glad I will not require my other leg being done, very grateful for that blessing.
So yes, my foot was turned inward 20 degrees by way of the surgery. What I have experienced, and Doc told me to expect, is that there is a lot of pain and readjusting of the now "twisted" tissues - and there is foot pain as your body tries to readjust as to how your weight will now be carried. Your advantage to me is that you are 21, so you will probably adapt and heal faster (I miss those days of rapid healing when I was younger). I had mine done just before my 44th birthday, so even though I've been a gym rat and athlete since I was 18, I'm not as bulletproof as I was then, apparently.
I was fortunate to be able to talk to Natenix, he had tibial and fibular osteotomies at the ankle too, on both legs, and he says those areas do not hurt now (he's a couple years post). He told me that the hardware removal made a big difference, and that it was noticeable almost immediately, so I'm praying I have a similar good experience with hardware removal. My recovery has been delayed by the setback, but my plated fibula feels better than before, and so does the ankle. So hoping that the healing and progression continue and that the pain level keeps decreasing.
Your Doc perched on the radiator was probably checking out your legs - your operated one looks way better than mine did at this point. Wishing you continued healing and speedy recovery.
Aug 2012: Rt Knee Arthroscopy/debridement, Lateral release
TTT/open Fulkerson tibial osteotomy
Aug 2013: Hardware removal (TTT)
Nov 2014: LPFLr, MPFLr, Distal Tibial  Osteotomy/derotation, Gastrocnemius lengthening, Rt Leg
Apr 2015: fibula (Rt leg) plating, iliac crest bone graft

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »
OSVictim - I am glad for you that your other leg has the correct degree, at least you don't have to go through this ordeal with the other one, especially as you have had such a difficult time with it. I have been told I will definitely need my other leg done, but apparently my femur tips forward in my other leg as well, and this could be fixed with a closing wedge Osteotomy???? Surgeon only explained it briefly as not sure if that will be the exact plan but I am dreading it already.
Very encouraging to hear you say Natenix is pleased with his legs and is in no pain. I hope you continue to improve with the removal of the hardware, sounds like you need a bit of a apbreak from all the set backs with your recovery!

I have found my heel and ankle are really sore. Did you experience this? The surgical sites hurt obviously, but this pain in my ankle and heel is getting worse and its a really sharp pain that doesn't go regardless of how many meds I take.

My whole leg is actually very sore, my knee is really feeling the MPFL surgery now. This is now 15 days post op and I'm probably in the worst continuous pain since the op.

On the plus side I managed to rent a wheelchair so at least can get out at the house now, being stuck inside is making me go a bit crazy.
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 05:27:57 PM »
In a lot of pain today. Very achey rather than sharp pain, would love to be able to bend my knee right now. I am getting the full cast off tomorrow.0, not sure what cast I will be put in but anything will be better than this one!

First physio appointment on Monday. Then the real hard work starts.

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »
I am cast free!!! 19 days post op and I have gone from a full leg plaster cast to nothing! Feels good to be out of the cast but leg feels very weak and vulnerable. Here are some of my X-rays and pics of my leg. Start my physio on Monday, will be interesting to see how it goes as at the moment I can't even bend my leg or tense my quad.

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
A couple more photos

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »
So happy for you!  Must feel amazing to have it off!!!  I'm a few weeks behind you so don't find out about physio until 21st. Are you nervous?  I am. Please post about how it goes!!!!

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »
Thanks! It does feel great to be off, just got to be extra careful now as I've not moved my leg in 19 days, found all the little movements are suddenly very painful!

I am nervous for physio as I've had it pretty easy so far! Also sort of looking forward to it as that's when the real recovery starts I guess :-) I will let you know how I get on and what exercises I have!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 07:06:39 PM »
great news georgie your out of the cast =) keep us posted how you get on =)

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 05:39:54 PM »
thanks Lucha, feels good to be out of the cast although hurts quite a lot more now. Is nice to be able to move my leg, even just a little bit.

I would be interested to see if your leg or anyone else's who has had these surgeries has got a weird bruise down the right side (the inside of the leg - so the right side of my left leg) of their leg? It's not like any of the bruises I have had so far. The original bruises have faded a lot now, but this one has only just started and is raised and a solid purpley colour. Not sure the photo shows it properly because of the lighting, but its freaking me out a bit!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »
Hey Georgie I did post a few pictures on my diary have a look at the first 8 pages I did get a lot of bruising with mpfl surgery up till 3 weeks but remember you have had a lot more things done to your leg than an mpfl remember the amount of leg you had done I'm not surprised your leg is bruised but keep an eye on it and remember if your not sure get your physio to check it also and ask the gp if your not sure but they might refer you to the surgeon again....  Remember it's better to ask than not be sure :))