Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tired and frustrated  (Read 4297 times)

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Tired and frustrated
« on: April 16, 2015, 06:38:52 AM »
Nearly 3 years ago I had a TTT on my left knee to correct patella maltracking.  I was in so much pain before the surgery I was just miserable every single day.  The surgery could not have gone better and my knee has not hurt since.  My surgeon has always told me that while my right knee had the same problem, it wasn't nearly as bad and I shouldn't have to have that another TTT.  Well, about 8 months ago my right patella started hurting.  After trying PT, an injections and a lovely tracking brace my dr told me I may have to have the TTT.  I was devastated, I just did not want more surgery.  We settled on a scope so he could check things out and make sure there were no other issues.  And hopefully if all went well I wouldn't need anything else.  The scope was last week, I had cartilage damage behind my patella, early arthritis and lots of inflammation.  My husband said the dr didn't come right out and say it but did hint at having to do the TTT.  I'm so tired of having knee issues and surgery.  I'm in my early 30s and feel like I can't do anything.  When I'm at work I can barely make it through my shift, I can't do a lot of fun things with my children because I'm always in pain and I just feel like there's no end to it.  And while the TTT worked beautifully on my other knee it's not something I care to do again.  I finally am in a position where I'm happy at work and don't want to miss 3 months for recovery.  And it's my right knee which means I won't be able to drive for at least 6 weeks, I just feel like I would be a burden.  I know there are so many others in worse shape than me but I am just so miserable right now.  I guess this is just more to vent than anything.  I don't understand how I got to this point.  My knees have been like this my entire life but never caused any problems till 4 years ago and it just feels like it's been nonstop since. 
2011 left knee arthroscopy with plica removal
2012 left knee TTT
2015 right knee arthroscopy with patella chondroplasty
2016 right knee arthroscopy and TTT

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Tired and frustrated
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through.  I have my TTT coming up in three weeks, so while I can't quite yet sympathize with the procedure and recovery you went through, I soon will and I know what it can be like having crappy knees.  I've also been warned that I'll need right knee done down the road.

I'm glad to hear the original procedure went so well for you.  It just sucks that it takes so long to get to that point.

All the best....

~ Heather~

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:36:22 AM »
Thank you!  It's been a rough week and I'm still having a decent amount of pain.  My post op appointment is this week so I hope my dr has something encouraging to say. 
Sorry you are going through this too!  Knees suck.  Good luck with your TTT, I hope things go smoothly.  Lots of ice and rest and make sure to stay ahead of the pain. 
2012 left knee TTT

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
Best of luck with your appointment!!! 

Yeah....bad knees suck!  On the one hand, I'm glad I'm finally getting it done, but now that it's only 3 short weeks away, I'm starting to get really nervous.  Normal, I know.  You just read about how long the recovery is and how people are dealing with it....it's a pretty major surgery.

Then in your case, being told you probably have to do it all over again....pretty devastating news.

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 03:20:49 AM »
Appointment went okay.  He said the back of my patella was pretty rough and my tracking is pretty bad but right now all we can do is hope that it offers enough relief that I don't need anything else.  The last couple days have been nearly pain free so things are getting better!

Totally normal to be nervous!  I spent so much time reading post op diaries before my surgery and was pretty terrified.  Fortunately the hardest part for me was not being able to do anything.  I was toe touch weight bearing for six weeks and in a brace for a total of 9 weeks.   I was pretty tempted to burn that brace when I was done with it, lol!
2012 left knee TTT

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 02:38:41 PM »
Hahaha....I'm sure I'm going to want to burn mine too!!!  I originally had a ROM brace (purchased when I had my last dislocation), but OS said that I didn't need that one so I returned it.  He prescribed a patella stabilizing brace instead.  I have a feeling that he's going to keep me in an immobilizer brace after the surgery.  That should be fun during the hot summer months!   ;D

That's tough about the back of your kneecap, but nearly pain-free is incredible!!!  I can't wait to get to that stage.  Mind you, OS told me that having a non-grinding and non-crunching kneecap might be too much for me to hope for.  It's had 42 years of wear and tear. 

So what's the next step for you? 

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:49:55 PM »
PS....I totally know what you mean about the diaries terrifying you.  Yikes!!!   :o  Some people's experiences sound horrible!  I'm having the Elmslie-Trillot procedure (only moving tubercle medially), which I hear is a little less horrible than the Fulkerson, so have my fingers crossed.  Still major open surgery though, so I know it won't be a walk in the park.

Question for you....how did you find the pain killers?  I hear they can make you nauseous.  Gads!  That's almost as bad as being in pain I think.  My OS isn't one to sit around and chit chat about what I can expect., so I'm going into this a bit blind.

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 04:34:42 AM »
They can make some people nauseous.  Just make sure to eat a little something when you take them and it will help prevent it.  You can always ask for a prescription for anti-nausea pills if you're really worried about it.  I was on Percocet and it really made me sleepy.  I would take one and be asleep within 30 minutes.  It was kind of funny. 
I had mine done the beginning of June, so being in that brace was definitely rough, lol.  I sat outside in it on July 4 and ended up with pretty funny tan lines.  It was interesting learning to do things with the brace and crutches but I'm thankful I did the surgery. 
For now I'm just doing PT, trying to strengthen my quad and hopefully get my patella to track better.  I kind of get the feeling that my OS thinks I will need a TTT on this one but just doesn't want to come right out and say it.  Even though it worked so well for the other knee I just really don't want to go through it again. 
I really hope the surgery is successful for you.  Bring in pain all the time is so miserable.  I still remember being in the cpm after  surgery and just being amazed that my knee didn't hurt
2012 left knee TTT

Offline boxerlover

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »
All my bits crossed for you that the physio helps!!!

I'm not even sure if I'll be using a CPM....my OS hasn't really told me much of anything.  My GP told me that the nurses at the hospital will fill me in on everything that's going to happen and the OS orders for post op.

So the passive bending didn't hurt?  Wow!  That's good to know!

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 06:38:29 AM »
I originally posted this almost a year ago.  And now here I am, awake and in pain at 2:30 am.  Had a scope and TTT on the right knee a little over 2 weeks ago.  I really was hoping it wouldn't get to this point.  And I have had such a hard time with this knee so far that I'm kind of wishing I hadn't had the surgery.  The pain and problems with my left knee started in 2011, so I feel like I've spent the better part of 5 years in pain.  I just want this to be over.  I'm tired of not sleeping, tired of being in pain, tired of being miserable.  I guess I shouldn't complain too much, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Hopefully this knee will heal as well as the other one did.
2012 left knee TTT

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 04:20:41 AM »
Well, it's been just over 12 weeks since the surgery and while out running errands today I realized my knee didn't hurt.  At all.  No pain in either knee.  First time in a long time that I could say that.  It's been a rough few years and this recovery was definitely so much worse than the other knee but  I can honestly say I'm glad I did it.  I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to run again but I'm okay with that as long as I continue to not have any pain. 
2012 left knee TTT