Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: CYCLOPS LESION  (Read 749 times)

Offline lip00

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
CYCLOPS LESION
« on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:25 PM »
My 14 yr old daughter had ACL recon in August 2013.  Hamstring autograft.  Endobutton on the outside of the femur; short bioabsorbable screw that does NOT cross the growth plate and post which is attached to outside of Tibia.
She has been playing basketball since approximately 9 months post.  A few other sports.  Was actually cleared to return 6months post op but didn't really get 100% playing until about 9 mos.
She has been wearing a Donjoy Custom brace....required to wear it for 2 yrs post op.  Was at basketball practice and out of the blue, her knee just gave out.
No swelling.  Some pain.  Full range of motion.  Lots of feeling of instability.  She has no confidence in her knee right now.   Her MRI report states......

IMPRESSION:
Intact L ACL reconstruction
Cyclops Lesion
No evidence of Meniscal tear

Now....I am assuming it is the lesion that is causing her instablility.   External Mechanism on the report is stated like this.....Intermediate signal is seen withing the anterior aspect of the graft extending to the anterior notch compatible w a cyclops lesion

That is all I see .... ligaments are all intact.  For her knee to totally give out (with a brace on) concerns me or maybe I am not quite understanding the lesion issue.

Anyone have any input to this?

Offline geococcyx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: CYCLOPS LESION
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:21:32 PM »
A cyclops lesion is actually a lump of scar tissue. It may cause loss of extension, but I've never heard it causing instability. Not that I'm a knee expert, so I suppose anything is possible. Have doctors/physios mentioned anything about this?

support