Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Could piriformis pain be caused by MCL tear?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline wellygrrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Could piriformis pain be caused by MCL tear?
« on: April 14, 2015, 05:38:15 AM »
I've been diagnosed with "tear posterior horn medial meniscus" after ultrasound and MRI, and the sports doctor has referred me to a surgeon for arthroscopic trimming of  meniscus, as he said it is not repairable. I'm awaiting the appointment with the surgeon.

I have had this injury, caused by playing football, for well over a year.  I have done lots of PT exercises, stationary bike, been referred to a podiatrist etc but it hasn't healed. Previously it was only really sore if I did certain twisting movements, such as pulling my ankle upwards and inwards, or else when I kicked the ball hard with that leg.

However in the last couple of months it has got much more painful: when walking, when standing up after sitting for a while, when lying in bed. Now in the last couple of weeks I have pain deep in my buttock on that side, which radiates down the back of my leg and sometimes down the side of my calf like with sciatica. I Googled this and it sounds just like the symptoms for piriformis problem.

My gut feeling is that this new pain is in some way related to the knee injury, perhaps I'm walking differently or something? Does this sound right, or are they likely to be unconnected? Has anyone else had this issue?

I will try doing piriformis stretches and see if that helps. I am so tired of going to PT for knee and a long line of other sports injuries, but I guess I may need to if I can't get it better on my own.

I walk an hour each way to work, is this likely to do any harm before the operation? (which could be several months away) The sports doctor said walking is fine, but he also said if something makes my knee hurt, I shouldn't do it. That rules out going to bed, then :-)

Offline walkingdaily

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Could piriformis pain be caused by MCL tear?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »
The different way of walking could trigger piriformis syndrome or just a "simple" sciatica without piriformis being involved, that is a pinched nerve due to a bulging disc in your lumbar spine.

I have minor sciatica problem, which can be aggravated by walking in a different way, walking too much or sleeping in a wrong way.