Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL Reconstruction diary of a newbie!  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Misskimmyv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Reconstruction diary of a newbie!
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:43:33 AM »
Hello there!! I've been checking out this forum for a while now, reading up on all of your accounts of MPFL surgery whilst waiting for my own! I had mine done on Tuesday (7th April) so I'm very early in recovery stages at the moment.
I have written a full blog here:
https://misskimmyv.wordpress.com

That Includes details of past issues but in short-
I first dislocated my right knee at 16 after a big fall, I then dislocated it a further three times again after falls. Then last year I went in a shower of a bath and slipped and fell which again dislocated the knee! Since that episode the knee never regained stability. I had seven months of physiotherapy and was still finding my knee moving around and slipping out of place for no apparent reason. So after two MRI scans, two different hospitals and a lot of consultations I was finally given the go ahead for surgery to repair the torn and scarred MPFL ligament.

The op
I was in a very lucky position in that I had been able to do a lot of physio work before the op and was totally confident on crutches. The op went well, I had general anaesthetic and a nerve block and woke up with a big bandage dressing. It was planned as a day surgery but unfortunately I had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic and couldn't keep food or water down so was kept in overnight with a fluid IV. A physiotherapist saw me soon after surgery and put a straight leg brace on which is to be kept on for walking and some exercise only for two weeks. We literally just walked around the bed on the crutches and I went back to bed as I was too sickly / dizzy at this point. A night of having to be wheeled into a bathroom to use the toilet passed and I woke up feeling a little stronger. The nerve block was fading by the following morning so I could feel some weirdness in the knee. I was once again seen by the physiotherapist yesterday morning who took me to the stairs to ensure I could climb up and down them on the crutches - I passed yay! So was allowed to go home after successfully eating and having the bandages changed.

Pain wise, the nerve block has worn off and I'm on cocodamol every 4hrs and diclofenac three times a day. It's sore but not to a point where I'm unable to cope. I'm able to get up and walk on my crutches for a little and I'm allowed to fully weight bare as pain allows. I think having had the issues with my knee over the past 8 months, I've built up a bit of resistance to pain ... I seriously hope I'm not saying this too soon and will be reporting on awful agony a title later down the line haha!!

I'd like to thank those of you who have posted about your experiences as I feel I've had a bit of an inside of what to expect. I was able to prewarn my mum about how much I'd be needing her support haha! Also, I've been setting my alarm for each painkiller time instead of allowing the pain to strike! But I'm struggling on how to work it out at night. Yesterday I took the cocodamol at 10am then 2pm then 6pm then 10pm. But I'm only allowed 8 within 24hrs so may have to look at spreading them out further if I'm able to bare it so that I'm not waking up having had a full night with no pain meds!

I've got follow up appointments with physio in 2wks and surgeon in 4wks. I fly to orlando florida in 5wks so am seriously hoping that I make a decent recovery by then but am not putting too much pressure on myself as I can enjoy the sunshine and change of scenery if nothing else! My surgeon has said that I'll be ok to fly as long as I walk around on the plane as much as possible as the flight is 8hrs! Fingers crossed, things will be ok for then!

Anyway, thanks again for mentally preparing me for the surgery and I'll keep you updated with my progress. I'll put most details on the blog and a little summary on here from time to tone 😊

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: MPFL Reconstruction diary of a newbie!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »
Hey there miskimmy
Welcome to the world of mpfl lol :))) I had two around 10 months back I have been happy to see you have been reading different peoples diaries to get some information from then research is key to understand the mogul reconstruction"......
It's also great that your seeing the physio quickly as what I learnt was a physio and movement is the most Important thing in the first few weeks of an mpfl reconstruction
You will find by week two the pain won't be as bad,
I was allowed to fly just after 6-7 weeks for a 12 hour flight to Mexico City as your doctor said make sure your moving and ask the airline for sun accessible seat with more leg room luckily I got paid to fly business but also on the plane ask for something cold that you can put on your knee to reduce swelling british airways was amazing with me :))
Keep us posted on your recovery and one thing I will say is remember everyone's recovery is different by rates and speeds you will know when your ready to do things :)))

Offline Misskimmyv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 08:14:37 AM »
Thank you for your reply Lucha86! It's great to be able to read on here other peoples accounts of the op because I'm sure people who haven't experienced it just don't get how painful it is at times haha!!

The pain is starting to subside a little now - I'm able to cope with just taking the pain meds through the day now and sleeping fine overnight. I tend to have to use the toilet once during the night which is a little annoying as I have to fit the brace before I can set off!!

My parents hired a wheelchair for a week which has been great to get out, problem is it doesn't have an elevated leg rest so I have to use the foot rest folded up and rest the metal part of the brace on that! It works as a temporary measure! We went to leeds city centre to do some shopping yesterday and I walked on crutches most of the time and sat in the chair when it got busy or I needed a break! I'm trying my best not to stay sitting or laying around too much as I start to feel pain in my back and hips then (probably because I elevate on cushions!) I'm fine overnight but not so much lazing around through the day!

I've been practicing my straight leg raise with the brace and can lift but not hold yet. I'm also practicing bending the knee a little. I'll post images of how far it bends on my blog, but I'm happy with the progress so far!

Hope everyone else is doing well wherever in your recovery you may be! Xxx

Offline Misskimmyv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 09:50:02 AM »
I had a bit of a scare yesterday - was suffering from awful pain in my calf whenever I moved my leg or went from sitting to standing - like a burning aching sensatio so I called the hospital who asked me to go in for a  check up. I had also been suffering from chest pains on my right side and into my back so I had an ultrasound scan which hurt a lot!! But thankfully all has come back clear. They have said if it continues  I'll have another scan in a couple of weeks.
The bruising is showing now - pretty bad behind my knee and down the front of my leg and even on my ankle!!
The doctor said the chest pain is likely due to the muscles being overworked from the crutches! I had been on them a while before this but wasn't putting as much weight onto my arms as I need to now so that makes sense!

I was climbing into my parents car yestersay to see the doctor (which at 6ft tall is difficult whilst wearing a straight leg brace!!) and the nerve at the top of my thigh seemed to get caught - ouch!! So that's adding to the pain when I move - all fun and games this isn't it ?!?! Haha!! Xx