Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: VMO advancement + LR  (Read 1617 times)

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
VMO advancement + LR
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »
Hey everyone!
I am scheduled to have a VMO advancement, trochleoplasty, and LR this coming Tuesday. I may also be having an MPFL reconstruction, but my OS won't know for sure until he's in there. From what he told me, I will be in the hospital 1-2 nights, crutches for 3-6 weeks, and a ROM brace (I think). One thing weird about the trochleoplasty is that he isn't actually touching my bone, he just sticks soft tissue in there like clay to reshape it I guess.

I will be having an epidural and spinal anesthesia, both of which are new for me! I've only had general before. Little nervous about that! Has anyone had an epidural and spinal? Or anyone have a similar procedure who wouldn't mind sharing their story? I've had TTO's on both my legs so at least I know some of the tips and tricks to getting around on crutches and a big brace!

Hope to hear from some of you soon! :)
Schnops
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:15:39 AM by schnops »
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

Offline kchan808

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: VMO advancement, trochleoplasty, LR
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
I had a spinal tap when I had my surgery. It wasn't too bad I was expecting it to be worse. I actually woke up during the surgery and watched the procedure on the monitor. I haven't heared about the clay procedure for a trochleoplasty that is interesting.

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
Re: VMO advancement + LR
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:22:14 AM »
Hey!
On the other side of my surgery now :) Surgery ended up being at around 3:30 pm. I had an epidural and spinal anesthesia and was out like a light! I was pretty nervous before the epidural so they gave me a lot of "happy juice" so I don't actually remember getting the epidural or going into the OR. I woke up in recovery around 7. I threw up, but felt much better after that. I never get nauseous right after surgeries, and I usually have general anesthesia which causes more nausea. Oh well! Got to my room at about 9 and got settled in for the night. Didn't sleep that much that night since nurses were in and out every hour taking vitals and giving me more meds.

The next morning a PA came by and took out my drain.  Little bit later PT came by and showed me a few exercises. They tried to have me stand up and walk, but my blood pressure dropped really low so I just laid back down in bed. Then they turned off my epidural. They left it in my back, but just shut off the flow and everything. They left it in there just incase my pain spiked and they needed to turn it on again. With the epidural, my pain was a 0, which was so nice! Once it turned off it quickly started rising to a manageable 6 or so. They started me on pain meds and were able to keep it under control. They had me stay 1 additional night (2 nights total).

So today I got the epidural taken out completely, got up and walked around with PT, got fitted for a brace, and used my CPM machine. And most importantly, got discharged :) Start PT next week. Very swollen and have a decent amount of pain, but I'm staying on top of my meds!

Hope to hear from someone soon!
Schnops
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »
2 WEEKS POST OP
Been a pretty long 2 weeks! Getting a little stir crazy! I had my first PT appt last week. Everything went well-ROM on my own was 85 and with PT pushing I got to 95. I stopped using my CPM (hate that thing! haha) but I'm getting stiff again so probably need to start using it again.  I am WBAT and able to walk with 1 crutch around the house and take a few steps without crutches which is great for 2 weeks post op! My incision still looks pretty gnarly. The top of it just isn't really closing or healing, but the bottom part looks great. Does anyone know how to get the surgical marker off? I've tried alcohol and it won't come off!

Have PT again later this week then my first post op appt next week.
Schnops
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:07:01 PM »
Hey everyone!
So far everything is going very smoothly! I am able to do a SLR on my own and my ROM is looking pretty good. I'm really stiff at first from having my leg in the immobilizer, but after stretching it out for awhile it's around 90-100 degrees ROM.  I have my first post op appt this Friday. Seems weird that my first post op appt is almost a month after surgery! They used dermabond and internal sutures so I guess there was no need to go in any earlier. Not really sure what they are going to say regarding the brace. I think I have to keep it locked until I'm 6 weeks post op, but not really sure. Anyone have and ideas on that?

One thing I am still having trouble with is swelling and sleeping. The swelling isn't huge, but it's definitely a lot considering the fact that I'm 3 weeks post op now. I have been doing more walking without crutches and my leg hangs down at school all day so that could be it too. I find that if I take a day off and just stay in bed or on the couch for most of the day my swelling goes down, so it much just be from all the movement. Sleeping is also giving me some troubles. It's not really pain keeping me up, but I just can't get comfortable. I sleep with the brace on (But will ask at my appt if I can take it off to sleep). But now I'm kind of reverse cycling because I'm up most of the night and then I NEED to nap once I get home from school, so when it's time for bed I can't sleep. I've been trying not to nap but some days its so bad that I have to in order to get any of my schoolwork done.  Any suggestions?

Have a good week everyone! I'll update after my post op appt!
Schnops
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »
Almost 4 weeks post op!!!
So I saw the PA on Friday. Not much happened, she just answered a few questions we had and made sure my incision was healing properly. She said that she leaves it up to my PT for when I can ditch the brace. I think we will unlock the brace in about 2 weeks then wean out of it. I've been walking around without the brace around the house, but still keep my leg straight and extended, so hard to tell if I'm strong enough.

She said I won't really know if this worked until I am back to my normal strength, so that could be awhile. My PT said this is a very random and not very common surgery which kind of freaked me out a bit. I totally agree because there aren't really any post op diaries on just a VMO advancement on here plus nobody has been able to chime in with their experiences. Before my TTO there were tons of diaries and people would always post on my diaries! Is a VMO advancement the same as medial tightening? I had medial tightening along with my TTO, but either it's a different procedure or my tissues stretched back out which bodes ill for me, haha. I'm not even 2 years post op from the first TTO.

Sleeping is ok... I slept really well Saturday into Sunday, but had a lot of trouble again last night. I'm taking melatonin which helps me fall asleep, but I still can't stay asleep. Anyone have any suggestions? I need to get back on a good schedule! Kind of at that point in recovery where I am feeling down in the dumps and stir crazy. I have the energy to go and do things, but can't really do a whole lot with my leg. Just sick of sitting around, but not too much longer hopefully!

Hope to hear from some of you guys soon!
Schnops
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:12 AM »
Hang in there Shnops! ;D
It will get better, remember marathon not sprint. :o
Take care,
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the post Rk4 :) Had a much better week last week! Slept pretty well every night and was able to go to school everyday. My ROM is still hanging around 105-110 which is still good for 4/5 weeks post op. My PT said there's not a whole lot they can do until I hit the 6 week mark so we've reduced PT to just 1 time a week and when I am 6 weeks post op we will amp it up to 2-3x. I only get a certain number of visits because of stupid insurance so I think she is trying to save visits for when I actually need them. Right now I can do all these SLR and heel slides on my own!

I don't see my OS again until May 27 since there was really no point in going in again at 6 weeks post op. I always have a hard time coming out of the immobilizer, so hopefully this time is easier. The skin on my knee is really sensitive...is that normal? Like touching it with my hand or having blankets on it is irritating. I had CRPS on my other leg after a different surgery, and hypersensitivity is a symptom, but I think it's normal for 4/5 weeks post op. Right?

Hope everyone is doing good!
Schnops
Hardware Removal- 9/'13