Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: thanks eaglemom for ganglion cyst wisdom  (Read 1149 times)

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
thanks eaglemom for ganglion cyst wisdom
« on: April 12, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »
Hi eaglemom - I know it's been a few years since you've posted, but if you are still online I wanted to say thanks!  Your name came up SOOO many times as I was researching my knee issue & deciding if surgery was the right option.  I have a large ganglion cyst & horizontal meniscus cleavage tear on the inside of my right knee.  It has given me problems on and off for about a year and I can tell the arms/roots are making themselves at home around my MCL.

One of your posts that said "cysts & knees do not go together" really helped me understand that I need to get this fixed.  I'm scheduled for surgery (scope & open excision) on the 23rd & even though there are still a lot of unknowns, I feel a big sense of relief having made a decision.

Again THANKS & I hope you are doing well.  I saw some of your later posts about TKR & sounds like you have been through a lot!

Thanks, Toni

ps - anyone else who has had a partial meniscectomy & ganglion cyst excision, feel free to reply with what I can expect after the procedure.  My cyst was 3x3cm when I had an MRI in Jan, but I'm positive it's larger now.  I am anxious to get back to running around w/ my daughter, playing golf & not coming home from work in pain.

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: thanks eaglemom for ganglion cyst wisdom
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:53:51 PM »
Update (if anyone cares) - I am 4 days post op & feeling pretty lousy.  I expected to be able to put pressure on it & be done w/ the crutches as I am scheduled back to work on Wed.  Doc gave the best & worst case scenarios before surgery.  It did not go badly (MCL damage from the ganglion or from the removal process and 3mo recovery time), but the cyst was much larger than expected.  It reached all the way to the ACL & required a lot of cutting, moving of the ligaments & cauterizing at the source.  The interesting part was there was no meniscus damage, & I have a slanted knee cap that created an unfriendly rubbing environment.

If anyone has any advice on getting thru the next week I'd appreciate it.  I am trying to be a good patient & ice, rest, meds...  Guess it does not help that hubby was rushed to the ER the night of my surgery & is scheduled to have his gall bladder removed in the morning...so I am feeling the added pressure of being able to take care of him & the kid & stuff around the house.