Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New to the board - and the injury!  (Read 2191 times)

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
New to the board - and the injury!
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
New to the site and have found a lot of good information here! Live in South New Jersey outside of Philadelphia (Cinnaminson to be exact) and ruptured my right quad tendon (near complete) in a fall on January 12, 2015.  Thereís some cartilage damage too, but theyíre not addressing that now, is that something that tends to follow later?

Took a few weeks to find out the severity of the injury though I knew something had gone horribly wrong.  Thanks to the insurance process, only one test at a time could be done before ordering the next.  On the day of the initial injury went to Critical Care (it was a Sunday) and was diagnosed with a Grade 2 strain.  Couldnít walk much at all for almost 3 days, PCP sent me for X-ray (which showed nothing), then finally a MRI which showed a near complete tear.  I was referred to the same Ortho Surgeon who did my meniscus repair 2 years ago, and a week later I was booked for surgery (February 10).

The first week was quite painful, but the next few werenít as bad as expected.  I was in the full extension brace for a full 5 weeks, and started PT last week.  Range of motion was limited at first (54 degrees), but when stretched at the end of PT is now close to 100 degrees.  Hurts like hell when they do that, but I guess thatís the way it has to be.  Itís in the back of my mind that theyíre going to tear something else by forcing things the way they do.

My knee is quite stiff every morning, takes a little while to loosen things up.  Constantly doing heel slides during the day to try to keep things loose, but any time I sit still for more than a few minutes, it stiffens back up again.

My part time job was ice hockey referee, so at 46 years old, I donít expect that Iíll be getting back to doing that for a long time if at all.  Iím using only a single crutch for support now, and long for the days where I could sit on the floor and walk the stairs easily.

Glad to meet everyone, have found some excellent advice in many of the threads!
RQT "near complete" tear 01/11/15
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
Surgery to Repair 02/10/15
PT began on 03/20/15

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: New to the board - and the injury!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:52:03 AM »
Hi Jcolarelli

Welcome to KneeGuru - you have sustained a very rare injury - suggest you repost and have a good read of the following thread -

"Ruptured Patella Tendon/Surgery" lots of fellow RPT/RQT patients

Read the undermentioned threads - contains a collection of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru.  Keep posting and ASK questions.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK
https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: New to the board - and the injury!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
Thanks, John.  Going to be a long road ahead of me, so I'm sure I'll be here for a while.  :)
RQT "near complete" tear 01/11/15
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
Surgery to Repair 02/10/15
PT began on 03/20/15

support