Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I need help diagnosing my knee problem!  (Read 639 times)

Offline Suge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I need help diagnosing my knee problem!
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
For the past 2 years I have been having persistent pain in my right knee. Even if I rest it for a while (I think the most I've gone is about 2 months without exercise/sports) there still is a noticeable pain walking up and down stairs and bending down. If anything taps the front middle of my patellar there is a sharp pain at a precise location at about a couple mm in diameter.

If I run, jump or play any sports the pain is bearable but the next couple days is brutal. The knee gets highly inflamed and sensitive zone I mentioned because far more sensitive and painfull in precisely that location, although mild pain also exists around the knee cap. Also in this state when sitting for long periods of time (over an hour) my knee gets more and more painfull and I need to  extend my knee to reduce the pain. Movie theaters are a painful experience for me unless I can prop my leg up on the chair in front of me.

I have been to the doctor and he said I have patellar tendinitis and suggested I see a physio. The physio basically said I have an underdeveloped inner thigh muscle and if I strengthen it all my problems will be fixed. But I have a underdeveloped inner thigh muscle because I overcompensate with my left leg while climbing staircases because my right leg hurts all the time. The thigh muscle problem sounds like a by-product of a more serious problem. Plus it doesn't explain why such specific part of the middle of my patellar hurts when touched.

Do you think it could be a hairline fracture? It's very possible that I could slipped on some ice some years ago and just never got it checked out. Is it worth getting an MRI? Is precise sharp pain in the middle of the patellar common for patellar tendinitis? Should I stop being a little baby and just do my physio exercises?

Offline Sarahjaye

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: I need help diagnosing my knee problem!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
Wow, it sounds like the exact same symptoms as me! The only difference is that I fell on my kneecap so I know what caused the pain. Sharp pain in the center, yes. Pain all around the patella, yes, pain after sitting for long periods of time, yes. Going up stairs, oh my goodness, yes. Okay. I have a healing simple (non displaced) fracture of the patella, and a good case of chondromalacia patella, aka Movie-goers knee. It sounds like you have a good case of chondromalacia patella, caused by an under-active quad/thigh muscle.
The only way to treat this is to do those exercises and strengthen your weaker leg. If you do them 2-3 times a day consistently you will see improvements.
An MRI will confirm chondromalacia patella and would give you a good idea how severe it is. It is very common for doctors to think this pain is patella tendonitis (very common knee issue), but the symptoms you describe certainly sound more like chondromalacia patella. I hope that helps!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »
Chondromalacia is softening of the cartilage on the back of the patella and a symptom, rather than a specific condition.  That is more patello-femoral syndrome

There's some good info here  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/patella-primer

An X Ray or MRI might show something and other than the small amount of radiation from the former and cost of the second, it wouldn't do any harm if the physio doesn't help

In the meantime, do the physio as instructed.  Any sore of muscle imbalance or tightness can cause all sorts of unexpected symptoms.  If it is PFS / patella tendonitis (which an MRI might also show), you may need many months of rest or rehab.  Avoid stuff like squats and lunges that lad the knee caps until you've worked properly on the muscles and the physio has cleared you to move forwards

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Suge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Ok thanks!

I also forgot to mention that I have the very dull mild pain in my gluteus medius on the right side (same side as my bad knee). Is this causing my knee pain? Is my knee problem causing this? Are the two unrelated?

support