Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What cold therapy unit do you like?  (Read 35901 times)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: What cold therapy unit do you like?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »
Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!  And LOL about the snoring.  Exactly!  ;D
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
Smillie,

I will add my thoughts on this as well.  If you are going to have a small dressing and TED's post op, I think the cryocuff would be a good choice.  I had a padded ace bandage, which is quite bulky.  I don't think the cryocuff would have worked so well for me because of that.  The cooling pad with the polar care was easier to apply for me, as you secure the bad with a compression wrap.  I also had a time with too much compression.  I remember the day I came home after the surgery.  I had this drive you out of your mind pain.  I was doing circles around my house on crutches.  My friend who is an ortho nurse, loosened up the ace bandage a little bit...pain gone.  So, that is probably why I was happy with my unit, as I could loosen the compression if it was too much for me. 
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
Good point. I had one with a pad last time, but I was also in a brace, so it was good that the pad could be on inside my brace. No brace this time, so the cuff should be nice. I'm price shopping now. I want to be sure it gets here in plenty of time.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline bubbaguppy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »
I shattered my tibia almost 4 years ago, which led to 4 surgeries. The 4th was a TKA that had to be custom made due to allergies to Surgical Stainless and Bone cement. I've used Game Ready extensively, and I highly recommend it. The units are expensive, but you can always resell them when you are done with them. My first unit was a rental, but for subsequent surgeries I bought mine on eBay. The combination of compression and cold accelerates healing and really helps with pain management. Freedom from pain without meds is worth a lot of money to me. For purchase, I would recommend only the newer "Version 2" units. These are still supported by Game Ready (can be repaired if needed). The older units are now all pretty old and will inevitably now fail or start to develop leaks due to the reservoir design. There is no repair channel for these older units, and when they fail it's basically a total loss on the control unit. 

Another product that looks exciting is the Dynatron Quad 7, but I have no actual experience with it.
2010 - shattered tibial plateau
2010 - hardware revision and scoping
2010 - hardware removal
2011 - plateau bone dissolved
2011 - allergy to Surgical Stainless and Bone Cement confirmed.
2012 - Complex custom 100% titanium solution implemented for TKA.
2013 - ROM slightly more than 90 degrees.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 04:51:21 AM »
I've had the manual version of the cryocuff, I've had a breg polarcare cub 350, and i've got the Ossur ColdRush now. So far, the Ossur one has been the quietest of them all.

I've save a LOT of money by getting secondhand units. My ColdRush is courtesy of a KneeGeek who no longer needed it and let me have it affordably. Much appreciated, given my knee is permanently screwed up and doing too much and ending up needing heavy icing is easy to do.

the ability to set up the system, have it stay on, and just disconnect the couplings on the hoses to the chill pad to make a bathroom trip (leaving the pad wrapped in place) makes both breg and ossur convenient - no need to even turn it off - just disconnect and go, and reconnect when you get back, although I do advise keeping a washrag handy to catch drips, because it is water lines, after all.

I hated the manual cryocuff, and I hated the air pump add on to their system, way too noisy, like being hooked up to an aquarium with a hissing problem. Don't know if they've improved since, but I'm not spending the cash to find out. If you don't have access to electricity, the manual version is livable... but not a first choice IMO.

so, this is the opinion of someone who's tried several different units over the years, for what it's worth.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Max4488

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »
Br careful some cold therapies can freeze your skin and cause serious problems!

support