Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Getting ready for OATS- advice needed!  (Read 1899 times)

Offline ED_RN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Getting ready for OATS- advice needed!
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
Hi everyone!

A little background, I am 27-year-old nurse in an emergency department. November 1, 2014 I was trying to keep an intoxicated patient from falling out of bed, and I stepped weird on my right leg, dislocating my knee. It spontaneously reduced before I could get up off of the floor, but in the process I tore my MPFL and now have a lateral chondral defect.  In 2 days I'm finally undergoing surgery to repair the MPFL and have an allograft done.

Some contributing factors: I overextend both of my legs at the knee, and am about 75 lbs. overweight.

I have a fantastic OS and the best PT I've ever met. I started swimming 2 months ago for about 45 minutes each time. I'm able to spend a decent amount of time on my feet (cooking, light cleaning, shopping), but haven't been allowed to do heavy lifting. My pain is minimal, and has been since my injury. Just more of an instability feeling, which is getting much better. My OS warned me about it, but I just recently started feeling almost back to normal. Normal enough that I'm wondering if this will be worth it. (He assures me that if I don't have this done now, I'll need a replacement, and I'm not old enough.)

So, my questions are infinite, but I was able to narrow them down:

- A lot of people are posting about feeling similar pain to what they felt pre-op once they were allowed to bear weight. If I'm not having any pain now, should I expect a high amount of new pain at that time? (I know to expect a lot of post-op pain. They're opening my leg up, moving bones around, I get that.)

- How much support was needed in the first 2 weeks or so after surgery? My husband works 8-5, will I be able to function without him for hours at a time or should my mom come stay with me?

- What types of clothing will I be able to wear? Will I be able to fit leggings over my leg, or will I need mostly baggier pants?

- What was the immediate post-op like? In my experience taking care of post-op back patients, we get them out of bed right away. Should I expect to still have a foley in?

- Any advice on sleeping? I'm not a back sleeper at all, but it sounds like that's all I'll be able to do.

- Does the brace need to be on 24/7? If I get a shower chair, will I be able to remove the brace for showering? (This probably won't matter. It's a flight of stairs to get to the shower.)

That's all I can think of for now. I'm dreading this surgery, but anxious to get this year of my life over with.

support